Transfer recordings from HDR-FOX T2?

chrishuz

I am trying to transfer some of my HD recordings from the Humax to my PC. I have installed the custom software and attempted to copy some Decrypted HD recordings both to the Virtual disk created by the custom package and a newly formatted ext3 120GB hard drive. The .ts file which is slightly over 4GB refuses to copy. The nts, thm and hmt files are all copied (visible in ftp) but no sign of the ts file. No errors are reported but it seems to be a file size issue as smaller HD recordings copy with no problems.
Please could someone advise how I may rectify this problem as I would have assumed that file size wouldnt be an issue with the ext3 file system.

I am using the latest firmware.

Use FTP there is no file size problem with this and it is faster than USB copying. I use Filezilla as the client software on the PC.

I am trying to transfer some of my HD recordings from the Humax to my PC. I have installed the custom software and attempted to copy some Decrypted HD recordings both to the Virtual disk created by the custom package and a newly formatted ext3 120GB hard drive. The .ts file which is slightly over 4GB refuses to copy. The nts, thm and hmt files are all copied (visible in ftp) but no sign of the ts file. No errors are reported but it seems to be a file size issue as smaller HD recordings copy with no problems.
Do you have redring installed? If so, try the new version - 1.03.

You really don't need the virtual disk if you have a HDR-FOX, it is mostly useful for HD-FOX decrypting.

To download decrypted HiDef, first enable auto-unprotect, and then you will be able to click "OPT+" on the Web Interface and select "download".

You really don't need the virtual disk if you have a HDR-FOX, it is mostly useful for HD-FOX decrypting.

To download decrypted HiDef, first enable auto-unprotect, and then you will be able to click "OPT+" on the Web Interface and select "download".

Thanks for all your replies.

However. I have tried all your suggestions. FTP will transfer the file in its entirety to my PC but the file is useless as it is still encrypted. I am using the OPT+ feature to copy the files to the external drive (which I have confirmed with the GParted utility that it is definitely ext3 formatted) and it is this process that is failing. When I do this, I get the message that the file has been added for copy, but only the three smaller files are copied. The ts file does not copy.

Any further ideas?

Redring 1.02 was stopping the indexer from running so you would not get the green icon appear next to the recordings. If this didn't appear you couldn't decrypt the files. 1.03 fixes it. You have to do an inline decryption using OPT+ before FTPing. The download option does it on the fly.

Redring 1.02 was stopping the indexer from running so you would not get the green icon appear next to the recordings. If this didn't appear you couldn't decrypt the files. 1.03 fixes it. You have to do an inline decryption using OPT+ before FTPing. The download option does it on the fly.
Thanks for the info David. Will give it a try.

Thanks for the info David. Will give it a try.

Quick Update.
I was already running redring 1.03 and the files were decrypted. It was the copy that was failing. It had all the symptoms of a 4Gb fat filesystem limit being in place even thought the external drive is ext3 formatted.

So I completely removed the custom software and reverted the Humax to "Out of the box". Re-installed custom software and now the transfers are working as I would expect. I'm at a loss as to what was causing the error, but now i'm happy again as Ive just managed to get 24Gb of HD files from the Hummy onto my PC!

I was already running redring 1.03 and the files were decrypted. It was the copy that was failing. It had all the symptoms of a 4Gb fat filesystem limit being in place even thought the external drive is ext3 formatted.
This latest version of redring was only released last night. The box would have had to be rebooted for the new version to be fully installed. Had you tried another copy with this version installed before wiping everything out?

This latest version of redring was only released last night. The box would have had to be rebooted for the new version to be fully installed. Had you tried another copy with this version installed before wiping everything out?

I had tried again this morning, but I had the same symptoms. All my previous HD recordings had been decrypted.
The re-install appears to have fixed everything, so I dont know if a particular package I had on the Humax was causing a problem, but im now relieved everything is working as I had expected it to work in the first place.

Edit: no problem, do it before exporting by bookmarking the clip in and out points and then use the Crop option in the WebIF.

Play on PC: no problem, the latest version of VLC does it and so does Splash Player Lite.

Edit on PC: no problem, use the WebIF to convert to MPG before exporting, then the file will import into a variety of video suites (I use Serif). Not tried it on HiDef yet though.

Edit: no problem, do it before exporting by bookmarking the clip in and out points and then use the Crop option in the WebIF.

Play on PC: no problem, the latest version of VLC does it and so does Splash Player Lite.

Edit on PC: no problem, use the WebIF to convert to MPG before exporting, then the file will import into a variety of video suites (I use Serif). Not tried it on HiDef yet though.
The edit function on webif is fine for SD recordings but I find it corrupts the sound, ie parts are missing, when using it on HD content. VLC will not play HD content on my laptop only the sound. It's an old laptop.
I've been looking at Lightworks to edit recordings, when I say edit I mean including fades to remove adverts.

I've been looking at Lightworks to edit recordings, when I say edit I mean including fades to remove adverts.
I had a look at Lightworks NLE a little while ago (before the arrival of on box editing) Here (Click) and at the time it didn't seem to want to load up HD files but as with all open source stuff it will have moved on so please report back if you do try it. The other thing was even when I loaded an SD file I just couldn't find the time enough to work out how to edit the file!! So any results of your investigation would be gratefully received (maybe post on the editing thread linked to above to keep all the news together?). Lastly it felt like a very capable but very heavyweight program so if you believe the age of your laptop was why it didn't like VLC then Lightworks might also prove tricky. BTW could it just be a Codec thing on your old laptop with VLC?

An older laptop is probably still running Windows XP. VLC does not do hardware acceleration under XP and may explain why it struggles with 1080p content.

Back