Transfer recordings from HDR-FOX T2?

Not necessarily. I have a netbook that is less than 2 years old, has Nvidia Ion graphics but runs XP. VLC is a complete non-starter when it comes to 1080p material because the Atom processor is gutless. However, Media Player Classic Home Cinema edition, which does exploit the Ion chipset under XP, can decode and resize full HD videos just fine. The only reason I am not recommending MPC is that it appears to have problem decoding LATM AAC which is the audio encoding used in Freeview HD.

sooty do a search for LAV splitters.You may well have the other one installed that has known issues with AAC
Your AAC is probably a splitter issue not a playback issue.

and for info I have an Athlon 1.6Ghz (called 2K chip by AMD) here with Nvidia GT5900 graphics card
running Win-98-SE (not even ME) that plays back HD just fine.
The machine has 1G ram and is by far my prefered workhorse although I do normally watch bluray discs
on another machine as this card doesnt have HDMI output.

When I say old laptop I mean a compaq nx7000. I have a quad core desktop at work and a dual xeon server at home so I might try them. They all have XP. I didn't realize that webif would convert HD recordings to MPG on the fly. Anyone know which codec would work with VLC and HD ts files?

You don't get a choice of codec; the MPG conversion is only a case of repackaging the existing streams.

sooty do a search for LAV splitters.You may well have the other one installed that has known issues with AAC
Your AAC is probably a splitter issue not a playback issue.
Jack616, I don't have the LAV splitter installed. I am using the MPC-HC internal filters and it cannot decode the audio from a Freeview HD recording. "Regular" AAC from a captured iplayer stream plays fine.

sooty - I'm suggesting thats your problem - sorry if I was being a bit vague.
Yes - "some" AAC will play. However you may need the LAV splitter to get the HD AAC from the humax to play
as there are known issues with the other one people use. There is a big thread on it somewhere.

However you may need the LAV splitter to get the HD AAC from the humax to play
Brilliant. I finally have Freeview HD TS files, picture and sound, playing flawlessly on my netbook. I found this helpful article which describes the configuration process in detail. I can now thoroughly recommend the MPC-HC / LAV combo to anyone running XP with dedicated graphics for which VLC has no support.

Back