Transferred HiDef - sound pulses on playback

papadeltasierra

Thanks to Raydon, af123 and others I've downloaded a decrypted HiDef file onto my Windows XP PC. But when playing this file with both VLC and XBMC the sound "pulses" getting noticeably louder and quieter. The picture seems fine. I tried using m2tstots on the file to see if that had any affect but playback of the resulting file is exactly the same as before.

Any ideas? I don't have a hi-spec graphics card but I do have a 4-core machine and it doesn't appear to be a "lack of processing power" issue. I've also hunted around for options on my sound card and in VLC & XBMC but don't see any that have any affect. Could this be something odd from the 5.1 audio track that I need to fix? I seem to remember reading a post somewhere about odd sound issues but the only ones I can find seem to be about issues playing back on the FOX-HDR.

FWIW, SD output plays fine using VLC, XBMC and WMP.

Thanks
Papadeltasierra.

'Funny' enough when I used XBMC last I noticed that too. TBH, I thought it was a one off. I don't really stream programs so XBMC is over the top and not really neccessary for me.

I now use SplashPlayer Pro Ex (I liked it so much I bought it!). It really is my player of choice, it uses my GPU for hardware acceleration and plays HiDef recordings perfectly. I had previously 'sworn by' VLC, but I had problems with sound, as previously posted. There is a free version of SplashPlayer if you wish to sample it's delights.

'Funny' enough when I used XBMC last I noticed that too. TBH, I thought it was a one off. I don't really stream programs so XBMC is over the top and not really neccessary for me.

I now use SplashPlayer Pro Ex (I liked it so much I bought it!). It really is my player of choice, it uses my GPU for hardware acceleration and plays HiDef recordings perfectly. I had previously 'sworn by' VLC, but I had problems with sound, as previously posted. There is a free version of SplashPlayer if you wish to sample it's delights.
So would I be right that you can play a HiDef using XBMC and hear it pulse, but Splash Player plays the same file without sound pulsing? Worth a few bob for Splash Player if it does but just want to check you were comparing like with like.
Thanks

Papadeltasierra.

@papadeltasierra
Yes. But please check yourself before 'splashing out' (pun intended) your hard earned cash!

I would actually say fade in and out rather than pulse.

@Black Hole
I have no idea if Splash Player can handle streaming is I play my recordings after I have transferred them to my PC.

One of the good features of Splash player is its simplicity and clean interface. I'd rather not encourage them to spoil that by bloating it with extra features that very few people use (unless it's done via a premium option at cost). Otherwise you risk ending up with VLC!

I'm a Mac user and have been stuck with VLC and a editor called Aunsoft Video Converter, they play and edit Humax SD files well and Humax HD files, so long as the original HD program was broadcast with a Pro-logic sound track.

If the program has a Dolby Digital 5.1 sound track both applications have trouble mixing the 5.1 down to stereo, it sounds like you're listening to just the centre channel being output (background music and effects are muted and voices vary in volume as the characters move around the sound field).

Even files transcoded with Handbrake have the same problem.

I've now downloaded splash player onto my virtual windows XP installation on my Mac, and the sound output is much better but not perfect, sadly I'm getting no picture with Splash player at the moment. but this might be something to do with my emulation software rather than splash.

May I also ask, why does the FoxHDR playback a .ts file, with Dolby Digital 5.1 sound track, in Pro-logic when accessed from a NAS drive, but plays the same file in full 5.1 when accessed from a USB drive?

@papadeltasierra
Yes. But please check yourself before 'splashing out' (pun intended) your hard earned cash!

I would actually say fade in and out rather than pulse.

@Black Hole
I have no idea if Splash Player can handle streaming is I play my recordings after I have transferred them to my PC.
Gave the Splash Player lite a try last night and it sounds fine. It seems to realise that there is a 5.1 soundtrack (I only have 2 speakers on my PC) but played fine for both vide and audio. This was the same HiDef file that fades in and out with XBMC and VLC.

Back