Transferring HD recordings from one HDR-FOX T2 to another

Dave23572

Due to a HDMI fault with my HDR-FOX T2 I have acquired another one.
I want to simply transfer the whole hard drive from the old one to the new one.

Before removing the hard drive from the old T2, I decrypted all the HD recordings using the web interface of the custom firmware.
I queued all the HD recordings for decryption and let it complete.
This took a long time but appeared to have worked.

However when I moved the hard drive into my replacement T2, it still won't play the HD recordings even though I thought I had decrypted them.
I get "The channel is scrambled or not available".
If I "browse" my recordings on the new T2 is does say that they are decrypted.

Have I done something wrong?

Yes, all the recordings now have the green "Dec" icon next to them and no "Enc" icons.

When I say the decryptions "appeared to have worked" I mean they all gave a "completed" status in the decryption queue for all the recordings.
One or two failed but I can't live without those.
I can't remember if I tried any of the recordings on the old T2 after decryption, but being the T2 they were recorded on they should have worked anyway, unless they stopped working after decryption (due to corruption perhaps).
Perhaps I will try them on the old T2 when I get the chance.

No idea what mess you may have got into.

If you wait a short while, there will soon be a method to decrypt all files by connecting the drive to a PC (independent of Humax hardware). If the files are in a mess though, it's hard to tell whether that will help.

Is there anything in the auto.log files (viewable via Diag menu) that would indicate problems with the decryption process?

Do you still have the original files available in a [dustbin] folder? If you do rename the dustbin so that they don't get purged before you have a chance to try again.

I had this when I had a disk problem. Fixdisk did the trick for me. Is fixdisk worth a try ?
I cant see why a disk problem would cause this but it cant hurt to check that there are no problems on the disk.
One or two failed but I can't live without those.
I presume these weren't the recordings you tried to play on your new machine! :o_O:
What was the failure message for those that failed (should be in auto.log)
Roughly how many recordings did you decrypt and how many have you tried to play on the new machine?
What level of CF and webif do you have on each machine?

It might be worth running the fixencflags diagnostic from the Diag menu to see if the recording flags are incorrect.

Last edited:
Sorry I can't answer all the above questions, as it's all a bit beyond me.

I suspect that despite the "completed" status when I decrypted the recordings on the original T2 and the "dec" flags, the decryption hasn't worked correctly.
On the new T2 I just tried the re-create the sidecar files for one of the recordings and got thew following error:-
"WARNING: Could not find Program Map Table. Recording is encrypted or invalid type. Cannot extract any information from recording. Cannot update the existing HMT file. Decrypt, then run 'sidecar' again to update the HMT file."

When I get the chance I'll put the hard drive back in the original T2 and see if the HD recordings play.
If not then I guess something went wrong and they're corrupted.
I'l report back once I've tried this.

Other replies:-

I don't know how to run fixdisk, though the SMART attributes are all OK.

"Black Hole" mentioned that there will soon be a method of decryption via a PC.
Is this a new feature in development?

It ain't gonna help if the files are corrupted!
It might if the OP has backups of the originals
Do you still have the original files available in a [dustbin] folder? If you do rename the dustbin so that they don't get purged before you have a chance to try again.
Provided you installed the 'undelete' package and haven't turned off decryption backups off there is a good chance you have the original files in the [dustbin] folder but by default they are permanently deleted after a week so it is important to check

Update:-
I have just put the hard drive back in the original T2 and they play!
So the files are not corrupted.
I'm now backing up the hard drive and will then try to decrypt the files again.

I'm now running a recursive decryption, which will obviously take a while.

Should I then be able to simply move the hard drive into my other T2 and play the HD recordings?

Failed to decrypt, apparently - but I don't know why they appeared to have decrypted, unless the OP was misinterpreting the signals.

I don't know what went wrong the first time, but I did do the decryption slightly differently on the second attempt.

1st attempt:
In WebIF I selected all the HD recordings in [FlatView] and queued them for decryption.
I then monitored the queue and they all completed with status "Completed" and had "Dec" rather than "Enc" flags against each recording.
Yet they would not play on another T2 so I guess this had not worked correctly despite appearances.

2nd attempt:-
This time I decrypted the entire "My Video" folder using "Method 2" from this thread
This queued all the recordings for decryption rather than just the HD ones which I manually selected before.
I monitored the queue and eventually it all succeeded.
Now having moved the hard drive to my other T2 the recordings all play, including the HD ones.

So "Method 2" has to be the preferred option.

Last edited:
Back