Transferring large files via USB

Shopps

Hi,

Sorry if this is a stupid question but I have been searching for an answer but I am at a dead-end.

I am trying to transfer a large recording from my Hummy HDR fox T2 to my PC for editing. The problem is the file is 5 hours of HD recording totalling 27GB file size. After searching here & downloading the 'foxy' utility tool I have removed the 'ENC' flag from the recording & transferred the htm file using Filezilla to do this.

So far so good.

I have a Sandisk USB 3.0 memory stick of 64GB. I know that Windows cannot format anything over 32GB in Fat32 so I have formatted my memory stick using a tool 'Fat32 format' by Ridgecrop.

After I have inserted the freshly formatted stick into my Hummy I select my large file to transfer but somehow on my memory stick I have a 'Drive 1', 'Drive 2', & 'Drive 3' section on my memory stick. I can select move file after pressing the 'Opt+' but this transfers a max of 3.03GB & no more.

Basically, how can I transfer this 27GB file to a PC on a non customised Hummy? Is there a way at all or is moving over to a customised Hummy the only option?

Thanks in advance.

See Things Every... (click) section 12.

You can also download across the network, despite not having CF installed (why??), by using some special tricks (starting with Foxy, which you have already done). See section 5, follow the link to decryption options, method 6.

Last edited:
Doesn't FAT32 have a maximum filesize of 4 GB?

Without installing the CF, one option would be to format the USB stick as Ext3 using, say, Easeus Partition Master Free - copy the file to the USB stick then use a utility to mount the Ext3 USB stick in Windows, e.g. the free Paragon ExtFS for Windows (other software is available).

(I haven't used the Easus software myself.)

If you only want the .ts file you could also try the following, which I have used with SD recordings:

Assuming that the Humax is networked, Content Share is enabled on the Humax and the ENC flag has been removed: power up the Humax and open Windows Media Player on your PC. The Humax should appear in the list of sources - click on it and then find and right click on the video you want to copy. Select "Properties". You should see the Location - highlight the Location with the mouse (you need to scroll the location to highlight the whole location). Then copy the location and paste into your browser.

If your browser is set to automatically download files to a set folder, it should transfer the decrypted file to that location with a filename something like 1235.ts. (I forget the exact filename format.) If the browser is set to ask for a folder to save downloads in, you can specify that and a more suitable filenames. (You can see the media list filenames by clicking on the other tab of the WMP Properties panel.)

[Edit] It would be a good idea to disable the Humax from going into standby mode if you try the second option (just in case) as the transfer time is likely to be around an hour.

Last edited:
Yes, I think FAT32 has a max filesize of 4GB. I assume you can't use NTFS on the HDR-Fox-T2 without CF - so that isn't an option. Based on my experience with a 2000T where there is no current option of installing a CF - As johnb as pointed out (#3) you can stream the programme to your PC - the filename IS like 1234.ts. I use this all the time (but not quite in the way described). For the 2000T it even works for suitably foxied HiDef content.

Thanks for the replies, Yep, I can see that Fat32 has a max file size of 4GB as the max I can transfer from the Hummy to my PC is 3.99GB (not the 3.03GB i stated earlier :() I meant that Windows PC's cannot format any HDD / memory stick to Fat32 larger than 32GB.

With regards to transferring my file of 27GB, it does not matter if I try to transfer this to a memory stick or transfer via Filezilla or through windows explorer it will do 3.99GB and no more, this equates to 1 hour 7 mins of my 5 hour recording.

I'm assuming that if I make the leap to a customised firmware this would be no longer a problem & transferring a file of this size either via filezilla or USB would be no problem? Thanks.

With regards to transferring my file of 27GB, it does not matter if I try to transfer this to a memory stick or transfer via Filezilla or through windows explorer it will do 3.99GB and no more, this equates to 1 hour 7 mins of my 5 hour recording.
Filezilla shouldn't suffer from a 4GB limit. Are you downloading to a drive that is formatted as FAT32? More importantly is the file you are trying to download decrypted?
I'm assuming that if I make the leap to a customised firmware this would be no longer a problem & transferring a file of this size either via filezilla or USB would be no problem?
I don't understand why you are having a problem with Filezilla so can't comment but if you install the NTFS 3g package from the custom firmware then you should be able to transfer a file larger than 4GB to an NTFS formatted drive.

The problem with Filezilla (ie FTP) is that it is a HiDef file, and without CF it won't be decrypted. The only ways to decrypt (without CF) are the methods explained in the references I gave in post 2, one of which requires copying to USB, and the other explains how to grab a decrypted version of the file by DLNA streaming.

Things Every... section 12 explains that a non-CF machine can copy large files to USB if the USB drive is formatted Ext2 or Ext3.

Why do I have to spell out what I have already pointed at?

I'm puzzled. The 4GB limit applies to FAT32 but if you are copying the file to your HDD (presumably formatted as NTFS) that limit would not apply.

I've just done a test transfer of a 4.4GB file (the largest I could find) from the Humax to my Windows 7 PC using the 2nd method I outlined in #3 (Windows Media Player/Firefox browser) and it transferred in full. This method should independent of whether CF is installed or not.

(I am a fan of the CF - but that is another matter.)

Black Hole,

The method I outlined in #3 does decrypt files (as long as the ENC flag has been removed).

The method you outlined (I presume you are talking about capturing a network stream) is listed in the references I gave. AFAIK, removing Enc using Foxy is not sufficient - you also have to force the recording to be re-indexed by moving it.

However, the title of this topic is about transferring a file by USB, which (for a file in excess of 4GB and using a non-CF HDR-FOX) requires Ext2/3.

I'm puzzled. The 4GB limit applies to FAT32 but if you are copying the file to your HDD (presumably formatted as NTFS) that limit would not apply.
I suspect that Shopps is ftp'ing from the Humax to the FAT32 USB rather than the HDD???

I think everyone has lost the plot.

For whatever reason, the OP doesn't have CF installed. He has used FTP access to Foxy the .hmt file for a 27GB HiDef recording, and wants to decrypt it by performing a manual copy to USB, which would then provide a means to transport the recording to PC by sneakernet. He could FTP the file direct to the PC, but that would still be an encrypted file. He can't perform the manual copy to USB if the USB drive is FAT32, because of the file size limit. He can't copy to NTFS either, because that requires CF.

He can perform a manual decrypt-copy if the USB drive is formatted Ext2 or Ext3, or he can force the DLNA indexer to re-index the recording and remove the protected streaming marker (not the same as the Enc flag removed by Foxy) by moving the recording in the My Video structure (and rebooting the HDR-FOX). When the recording has been re-indexed, it will be available as an unprotected DLNA stream, which can then be streamed and grabbed on the PC by various means (including VLC).

All this information is available in the sources previously mentioned (but everyone is too lazy to look at).

Thanks for your help (most of you) I just thought I would explain what I have & have not tried.

I have successfully 'foxy'd' the file to remove the 'enc' flag.

As far as transferring the file goes, I have formatted the 64GB memory stick to either NTFS, Fat32, Ext2, Ext3 by using 3rd party tools. The results are either file will not transfer at all or usually I can transfer upto 3.99GB to the memory stick then onto a PC & no more. I have tried FTP'ing through windows explorer or through Filezilla but I can still only transfer 3.99GB and no more.

If it makes any difference I am using software version 1.02.32. I am coming to the conclusion that the CF software is the only way to get the file transferred.

I know I am opening myself up to yet more sarcastic responses, but If I format my memory stick to ext3 using a virtual version of Linux (Ubuntu) through VMware workstation will this make a difference as opposed to formatting the stick through 3rd party software on a Windows PC?

Thanks for your help (most of you) I just thought I would explain what I have & have not tried.

As far as transferring the file goes, I have formatted the 64GB memory stick to either NTFS, Fat32, Ext2, Ext3 by using 3rd party tools. The results are either file will not transfer at all or usually I can transfer upto 3.99GB to the memory stick then onto a PC & no more. I have tried FTP'ing through windows explorer or through Filezilla but I can still only transfer 3.99GB and no more.

If it makes any difference I am using software version 1.02.32. I am coming to the conclusion that the CF software is the only way to get the file transferred.

I know I am opening myself up to yet more sarcastic responses, but If I format my memory stick to ext3 using a virtual version of Linux (Ubuntu) through VMware workstation will this make a difference as opposed to formatting the stick through 3rd party software on a Windows PC?

If you can transfer only 4GB by FTP, what is the file system you are transferring onto on the PC? It sounds like the disk there is FAT32 instead of NTFS.

Hi Antipodean,

My Windows 7 (along with my Windows 10 PC) are both formatted to NTFS but any attempt to FTP through Filezilla will only transfer 3.99GB :(

Transferring the file via FileZilla etc is useless, as BlackHole has previously explained, because it will still be encrypted. (See BackHole's post #12.)

Have you tried the streaming method I outlined in post #3? This definitely works for files greater than 4GB on my W7 PC.

Assuming you have correctly removed the ENC flag you should move the file to another folder on the Humax, then reboot the Humax before trying the streaming method. (See Black Hole's post #12.)

PS Just out of curiosity, assuming that you had previously correctly formatted the USB stick as Ext3, what software were you using to read the USB stick in Windows?

Last edited:
I'm using 1.02.32 and have no trouble moving large files to my Win 7 PC using a 32GB stick formatted to Ext2 using EaseUS partition manager.

What happens if you try to play the file on the Humax straight from the memory stick? If it plays right through that eliminates the transfer to the stick as being a problem and points to the PC end. If it won't then at least we know where it is going wrong.

I have tried FTP'ing through windows explorer or through Filezilla but I can still only transfer 3.99GB and no more.
This /could/ be due to the shonky FTP server in the standard firmware although if it is then it's the first time I've seen it reported.

How do you read the Ext3 USB stick on a Windows PC? The easiest way is to install the program 'Ext2FSD': you will have to start this manually on the PC as it can't be run automatically on OS later than XP.
I remember, before I took the plunge with custom firmware, trying to use Windows tools to format to Ext3 (can't remember which tools, I'm afraid) but I abandoned this as the USB sticks formatted this way weren't true Ext3, but some sort of hybrid format. They could be read by Windows without extra software and could be distinguished from true Ext3 drives when compared using Ext2FSD.
You should be able to format a USB stick or drive to Ext3 on the HDR-FOX itself, though it does not work with all devices, probably due to limited driver support.
I would try reformatting the USB stick using Linux, for the reasons described above. You'd be better to use Ext2 for a USB stick, as the journaling you get with Ext3 is not kind to flash memory (Ext3 is better for hard drives).
Custom firmware makes all these problems go away. It is easy to remove if you decide you don't want it after trying it. Go on, you know you want to!

Back