Transfers From Old Hard Drive to New - Process

lancer

Just got a new 1TB hard drive to add capacity from the old weary original 500Gb.

Not done any file transfers off the old drive yet, and not sure of the process. Is it possible to transfer from the high level folder and will the high level folder (and all individual recordings within it) transfer and appear on the new drive in the same way - or is it necessary/possible to only transfer at an individual recorded programme level within high level folders?

You will need a powered SATA to USB adapter or caddy, but it is quite straightforward. Once you have installed and formatted the new disk, connect the old one to a USB port and power it up. Some options will appear on screen after doing this. Wait until these options have disappeared and press media>storage (blue button) on the remote control handset, then select 'USB'. There are three partitions on the old disk and each will be mounted. Your recordings are on the second. Open the second partition and navigate to your recordings. Then, with the remote control, you can select all recordings, individual recordings or groups of recordings, as you like. Press the 'Opt+' button then go to 'move/copy'. Select the internal HDD and then 'OK'. It may take a few hours to copy them all. While copying is ongoing, when you press the media button on the remote control, you will see a small white star rotating with the word 'copying' next to it (top right of the TV screen) when the copying is completed, this will disappear.

I'm obliged to you MET! Appreciate the clarity.

Following your advice then, can I go to the top level folder of, say, a series with 6 episodes held in it and press Opt+ on the high level folder only. And will that result in the high level folder and the 6 episodes within it all appearing in exactly the same form on the new hard drive once copying them all has finished?

I'm obliged to you MET! Appreciate the clarity.

Following your advice then, can I go to the top level folder of, say, a series with 6 episodes held in it and press Opt+ on the high level folder only. And will that result in the high level folder and the 6 episodes within it all appearing in exactly the same form on the new hard drive once copying them all has finished?
Yes, if you copy a folder all recordings within are copied too. The order in which the recordings will be displayed will be unchanged for programmes recorded on the unit. If you have, for example, mp4 files which you copied onto the unit then it is possible that the order may change. In this case it depends on the file creation date and this will be altered by the copy procedure.

Note that the USB transfer mechanism has been known to hang or end prematurely, and I have found it more satisfactory to transfer smaller batches rather than commit the whole lot in one go.

Many thanks for the advice. HDD installed and been copying programmes, which has worked as suggested. Anyone thinking of doing this with their T2 ought to take the plunge. Changing the HDD was very straightforward, as is the copying across.

One think I have noticed is that on just some of the HD recordings copied across from old to new HDD there is an additional symbol I've never seen before on the copied recording which looks like a disc with a red cross by it. I presume this is some sort of warning that the programme can't be copied on from the new disc to DVD or something else...is that right?

I can understand such a restriction for HD recordings, but it seems strange it's only on some of the ones transferred and not others. Anyone got any wisdom on that?!

I presume this is some sort of warning that the programme can't be copied on from the new disc to DVD or something else...is that right?
Yes, it means that it has been copied the maximum number of times and can't be copied again, even back to a USB drive.

Back