Transmission download speed

I find it strange that it would throttle the transfer for just one file. I don't use Filezilla.

An update

Turns out that downloading to a USB connected HD is seriously throttled. Took me about a week to get to 32% . Kept thinking I can't go back because now I have all these GB.

I did go back and now less than 24h I'm at 50%. Seen 3MBS

I use Filezilla to download, and upload, recordings to and from my HDR Fox T2s via my homenetwork which is all wired (4 ports on the router each with an 8-port switch). I always put the recorder on either channel 100 or 250 to minimise what they're doing whilst I'm transferring files. I regularly get 11-12 Mb/s in both directions as indicated by Filezilla. Sometimes I see it drop down below 9 when I think the machine is scanning the HDD for the CFW or maybe for the DLNA (not sure exactly) but this only lasts for a few 10s of seconds and then reverts back to normal. Filezilla is set to transfer 1 file at a time.

My Foxsats run a bit slower at around 5Mb/s download and 2Mb/s upload.

As for export to USB I adopt the same procedure, i.e. channel 100 or 250, and I guess I get around 1GB per minute writing to the external HDD. All files are decrypted so there's no inline processing.

right, so scrapped the download to HD via usb2 , which only got me to about 32% in a week. restarted it to download on t2 and it whizzed by with 169GB in about 36 hrs, probably shorter

so DO NOT download on an attached usb drive

Last edited:
As for export to USB I adopt the same procedure, i.e. channel 100 or 250, and I guess I get around 1GB per minute writing to the external HDD.
mine seems to only do about 1GB every 5 mins via on screen copy. are you saying that filezilla is 5 times faster?

mine seems to only do about 1GB every 5 mins via on screen copy. are you saying that filezilla is 5 times faster?

EXPORT to USB from the T2 usually gives about 1GB per minute. Note that these are DECRYPTED recordings so no processing is taking place.

Just tested transfer of 4 films totalling 6.8GB exported to a powered 500GB FAT32 USB drive - 5m 36s.
Using Filezilla this would take 9-10 minutes (rough calculation - 6800MB / 11.5MB/s = 590s or 9m 50s)

Last edited:
right, so scrapped the download to HD via usb2 , which only got me to about 32% in a week. restarted it to download on t2 and it whizzed by with 169GB in about 36 hrs, probably shorter

so DO NOT download on an attached usb drive

Are you using an NTFS formatted external USB drive? If so, then I presume you have the NTFS-3G package installed which allows the Fox T2 to write to NTFS drives. I found that this does slow down the rate at which the Fox T2 writes to external USB drives. As I record only SD then the file sizes are usually less than 4GB which means they can be written to a FAT32 formatted drive. For anything larger then 4GB I have an EXT3 formatted drive on standby which so far I haven't needed to use.

Are you using an NTFS formatted external USB drive? If so, then I presume you have the NTFS-3G package installed which allows the Fox T2 to write to NTFS drives. I found that this does slow down the rate at which the Fox T2 writes to external USB drives. As I record only SD then the file sizes are usually less than 4GB which means they can be written to a FAT32 formatted drive. For anything larger then 4GB I have an EXT3 formatted drive on standby which so far I haven't needed to use.
this did not occur to me. i'll have to check when the current copying finishes.

EXPORT to USB from the T2 usually gives about 1GB per minute. Note that these are DECRYPTED recordings so no processing is taking place.

Just tested transfer of 4 films totalling 6.8GB exported to a powered 500GB FAT32 USB drive - 5m 36s.
Using Filezilla this would take 9-10 minutes (rough calculation - 6800MB / 11.5MB/s = 590s or 9m 50s)
mine are not encrypted files

Are you using an NTFS formatted external USB drive? If so, then I presume you have the NTFS-3G package installed which allows the Fox T2 to write to NTFS drives. I found that this does slow down the rate at which the Fox T2 writes to external USB drives.

that's exactly what I've got. So are you saying that is what I should expect with large files?

don't think i'm gonna copy too soon any more 4k files at 300-400Gb a go.

Are you using an NTFS formatted external USB drive? If so, then I presume you have the NTFS-3G package installed which allows the Fox T2 to write to NTFS drives. I found that this does slow down the rate at which the Fox T2 writes to external USB drives. ...
Might this also be the case for a drive formatted using exFAT, as the exfat package is another FUSE filesystem?

A FUSE filesystem involves context-switching and additional memory and processor usage compared with a kernel-based filesystem (but doesn't need to modify the kernel). An internet search will reveal some studies showing different performance effects depending on workload and configuration but it's plausible that the HD/R systems with relatively little oomph (to be technical) could handle FUSE relatively worse than oomphier configurations.

victoreeeeee

i'm done.

Does this mean you've achieved the magical 1GB per minute?

Although Filezilla is slower it is more convenient as it allows me to queue several transfers into different folders on the backup drive/transfer drive which, as it is attached to the PC rather than the T2, can be NTFS or whatever. The version of Filezilla on Linux Mint does have a bug. It won't transfer any files larger than 2.2GB! The version of Filezilla on Ubuntu 14 I was using before had no problem with huge files such as a recording of the entire Super Bowl show which, from memory, ran to something like 10-12GB. Unfortunately Ubuntu 14 is no longer in support so I stopped using it. Any larger files, > 2.2GB, I transfer to a FAT32 drive and thence to my main NTFS backup drive.

Does this mean you've achieved the magical 1GB per minute?

Although Filezilla is slower it is more convenient as it allows me to queue several transfers into different folders on the backup drive/transfer drive which, as it is attached to the PC rather than the T2, can be NTFS or whatever. The version of Filezilla on Linux Mint does have a bug. It won't transfer any files larger than 2.2GB! The version of Filezilla on Ubuntu 14 I was using before had no problem with huge files such as a recording of the entire Super Bowl show which, from memory, ran to something like 10-12GB. Unfortunately Ubuntu 14 is no longer in support so I stopped using it. Any larger files, > 2.2GB, I transfer to a FAT32 drive and thence to my main NTFS backup drive.
alas, no.

it means that it chugged along at snail pace for about 12-15 hrs, who knows, at the slow rate. then FileZilla would be useless to me transferring 60 gb files.

Back