Transmisson/ Bittorrent client questions

Hi All.
I have a bittorrent client working nicely on the PC, can someone explain to me the advantage of having the client on the Hummy interface?
Is it just an alternative download client ?
Or if not and it has other advantages how does this tie in with the hummy in day to day use?
Many thanks for any explanations.

I don't use it myself but I'd always interpreted it as useful if I wanted to obtain media files to play on the Hummy (entirely legitimate content of course) then I could use the Hummy to do it (it's on most of the time during the day anyway) rather that having to leave the laptop running somewhere doing it. If you have a PC sat under a desk somewhere then I guess it's not the same problem to leave it running during the download? Horses for courses?

Yes, that's about the size of it I think. I can leave the Humax to fetch a torrent in its own time whenever it happens to be turned on. Saves me leaving the laptop on. Transmission has a nice web based interface.

If you were fetching video content then there's a minor bonus that it ends up where you probably want it..

Ok next question then, if i find a torrent online how do i get it into the humax and get it to start downloading it?
I am sure i have transmission downloaded but dont know where to start....sorry..

From memory I think it should appear somewhere on the web interface if you've got the package installed and enabled (check Settings on the webif to confirm it is installed, then also check the Services option to make sure it's on and will auto start.) I believe then you'll get some sort of control panel somewhere on the webif but I'm sure af123 will confirm when he's back online.

Ok next question then, if i find a torrent online how do i get it into the humax and get it to start downloading it?
I am sure i have transmission downloaded but dont know where to start....sorry..

Install the 'Transmission (Bit Torrent)' package

It should show in WebIF (bottom left)

Start the Transmission Web Interface from WebIF

Select 'Open' (the folder at the top left)

Select browse in the window (Upload Torrent Files) which opens and browse for the torrent.

When found highlight it then select 'Open'

Select 'Upload'

Note: If the 'Start when added' box is checked the download will start immediately.

Install the 'Transmission (Bit Torrent)' package

It should show in WebIF (bottom left)

With the latest version of the WebIf, the icon will only show it Transmission is running so go into service control and start Transmission - set it to auto start if you want it to come on whenever the box is on - then go back to the main menu and click the transmission icon at the bottom left (looks like an automatic gearstick thing)

Yup all done so thanks! I have yet to download anything, i was accessing the webif from a smartphone and mine wont let you cut and paste URL's into that specific box so i need to wait until i fire up the PC ( which happens less and less these days) to test it out!

Used Transmission for the first time in anger yesterday - very impressed, with only a couple of minor tweaks I was able to download upto 1.5MiB/s - further trials will continue and I hope to get nearer the maximums seen on my PC. (2MiB/s)

Back