Trouble bulk decrypting

MikeSh

As this HDR has now been marked for 'end of life', so to speak I'm trying to decrypt a large number of films in order to make them playable elsewhere.
A few days ago I ran the utility to (un)set the flags and then manually ran decryption on a couple of bocks of 10 or so files. They reported complete in the Queue.

Today I've taken the box out of active duty, so it no longer has an aerial connection, but it still has some channels configured to help it play nicely. (It still has a wired network connection and HDMI to the TV.)
I then set autodecrypt on the folder containing the films. There are about 250, probably amounting to over a TB of disc space (it's a 2TB disc).
It seemed to start OK, and the queue listed all (probably - it was looong) the films. But later I went into webif to check progress and it appeared the box had frozen. Trying to use the remote or front panel buttons confirmed this, so it was powered down and back. The autodecryption then continued/restarted and I left it to get on, but a while later when I checked in it had locked up again.

I've had a trawl of 'things every' about running without the aerial (apparently not a problem) and there's nothing the decryption info I can see to address this. I'm at a loss now.
Could the lack of correct time (I noticed when I restarted it that the latest queue entry was started in 1971) be causing it trouble? (Some earlier queue entries have 2022 times.)

You need a network connection to decrypt (can be a dummy loopback) and Content Share Enable, but should not require aerial.

Check your Backup options
1656615479010.png

When bulk processing the original copies of the recordings in the Dustbin can quickly fill the disk
(Keeping the backups is OK for normal processing where you are only decrypting a few recordings per day)

Last edited:
You need a network connection to decrypt
It has, as I said in the op.

When bulk processing the original copies of the recordings in the Dustbin can quickly fill the disk
I did wonder but there appeared to be plenty of space available. However I've turned off that "Create backup" switch to preempt that being a problem.

I've restarted it again but I do see in the queue about a dozen files saying the DLNA server was not running.

If you're sure the DLAN is running, tick the boxes and resubmit.
Sorry. Which boxes?
When I saw that entry earlier today I had a look through the Humax and webif interfaces to see if there was a setting, but couldn't find anything. The fact that it said another decrypt was running implied that things were working (though my latest look at the status makes me think they aren't).
Does manual decrypt not need the DLNA, since that worked fine the other day?

The boxes down the left of the items in the queue status. Select the ones which failed (or just click Select Failed down the bottom) and then click Re-submit.

Does manual decrypt not need the DLNA, since that worked fine the other day?
Possibly not, because it might well default to software decryption. Not sure.

Just make sure you have Menu >> Settings >> System >> Internet Setting >> Content Share = ON, and a network connection. Then, with auto-unprotect installed and WebIF >> Browse Media Files >> Opt >> Recursive Auto-decrypt selected, gradually every recording will be submitted for decryption.

Let this be a lesson to anyone who thinks it's not worth decrypting by routine, as you go!

Is the machine going into standby which would disable the DLNA?
Check the Auto Power Down setting via Remote or Boot-Settings package
1656629065654.png

Just make sure you have Menu >> Settings >> System >> Internet Setting >> Content Share = ON, and a network connection. Then, with auto-unprotect installed and WebIF >> Browse Media Files >> Opt >> Recursive Auto-decrypt selected, gradually every recording will be submitted for decryption.
Content share is ON.
Auto unprotect is installed.
I am (was) just using normal (rather than recursive) on the folder with the films in.

I've actually disabled the decrypt on the folder while trying to sort this.
I've tried to delete everything in the queue, but one file remains saying it's "Running", but the runtime is blank and the start and update times are the same (in 1971) despite being there for hours and after at least one each standby and power cycle.
Delete, resubmit and hold all do nothing.
Looks like one of those infuriating processes with no kill option.

Gonna power it down for the night :poop:

Managed to delete the queue, but the file that was stuck in there is still showing as decrypting in the webif header, and 'in use' in the media list, so presumably there's more stickiness involved.
I'm tempted to just (try to) delete the film but I suppose that could leave even more loose ends.
Any ideas?

Just noticed that the 10 or so files I queued for decrypt after clearing the queue haven't started. I assume the ghost of the previous decrypt is blocking them.
Chucking the whole thing in the recycling is definitely becoming attractive.

We have seen files before, that for reasons unknown, cant be decrypted
Try moving it to a directory that you are not decrypting, reboot to clear any stuck prcoesses, and if you get a chance try playing it to see if fails during playback.

I deleted the pending items in the queue - queue then empty - and messed around a bit more without success. Then I needed to go out, so put it in standby.
Came back a couple of hours later and pulled it back up ... and that file has stopped ghost decrypting. I've been able to queue another 10 and it's started working on them now.
Weird since that operation had persisted over complete power cycles before. I suppose it needed just a bit more cycling. :dunno:

Assuming they get done OK, then I'll continue to set up queues of 10 or so at a time rather than trying to do the whole folder in one go.

and it's started working on them now.
Or maybe not. It's been running the first one for over 30 mins and before it went to pot they were taking 5m give or take. It's looking a bit like deja vu again.

A useful check would be whether a suspect show can be watched over DLNA. If it can be watched to the end, it should be able to be decrypted, and so something else must be failing.

I've managed to stop this rogue one now (again).
The phase after decryption was copying over to another box, but having tried a test file that is looking just as problematic.
I've spent hours on this over the last couple of days and I can see that continuing, so I'm done with it.

She'll just have to watch stuff off this box until she's done.

I've spent hours on this over the last couple of days and I can see that continuing, so I'm done with it.

She'll just have to watch stuff off this box until she's done.
As I read this the radio was playing 'Dedicated to the one I love'.

Back