Trouble installing on HDFOXT2 - no problem on HDRFOXT2

For example, why are some USB stiks not usable at all?
That's an easy one. How often have you seen Windows installing yet another driver when you plug in a UPD? Because there are a wide variety of UPDs, each requiring its own driver. If the HD/HDR-FOX doesn't have a driver for it, it doesn't work.

I will be trialling an Ext2 solution for UPDs shortly.

That's an easy one. How often have you seen Windows installing yet another driver when you plug in a UPD? Because there are a wide variety of UPDs, each requiring its own driver. If the HD/HDR-FOX doesn't have a driver for it, it doesn't work.

I will be trialling an Ext2 solution for UPDs shortly.

Yes, must be no driver. But it seems very odd they work on every non-PC box I have - Sony Bluray/LG DVD/Toshiba DVD/Sony TV/Lexmark printer. These devices have dual partitions - when plugged in they provide a small partition of a few MB and a large partition of 6GB. The HD and HDR recognise the small partition but not the large one.

Well, that's the problem then! The Hummy will only see the first partition (funny how often the problem is something that wasn't mentioned).

Well, that's the problem then! The Hummy will only see the first partition (funny how often the problem is something that wasn't mentioned).

I did not flag this as a problem, just a curiosity. It's the reason why I did not use a bigger USB stick. The USB drive I have been installing from was not one of these; it was a single partition and recognised by the box. Does the Hummy normally only see the first partition? It is quite happy to see more than one partition on my 1TB drive.

Hmm, I had better wait for somebody else to comment, but I had a drive connected with two partitions and it only saw one of them.

Hmm, I had better wait for somebody else to comment, but I had a drive connected with two partitions and it only saw one of them.
It's a curiosity then. I have a 1TB drive attached to my HDR most of the time; it it has two partitions - one FAT32 and another EXT3 and it sees both of them as did the HD when I connected it to that machine.

I've got a USB stick plugged into my HDR that has 7 partitions - 1 vfat and 6 ext2, and they are all automatically mounted on media/drive1-7. This does sound like a driver problem to me.

Yep, there's a logical partition in there with the extra ones inside it. It has a few different tools and OSs that I use when rescuing systems or when I need to spin up a copy of Linux.

I plugged it in for testing my progbackup script so I could test the "Which drive do you want to back up to?" part of the code.

Back