Trouble installing on HDFOXT2 - no problem on HDRFOXT2

infracom2011

I have been trying to install the custom software on my HDFOXT2. I first installed the custom software without any problem on my HDRFOXT2. A few days ago I then tried to install the HD version on my HDFOXT2. It is at release 20. First I tried R13. Everything seemed to install fine, but when I tried to access the web interface the browser said server not found. Normal functions, access internet via Portal, network client worked so there is no problem with network access but unable to access the web interface – yes I was using the correct IP address and I can access the HDFOXT2 with telnet using PuTTY. I powered box off completely and left it for a while, then powered on again, no change. Then noticed yesterday that R14 had become available so installed that. Again the install appears to work successfully but the custom software does not appear to be there, that is I cannot access the HDFOXT2 box from a browser. Does anyone have any ideas?

Check you don't have another update file on the USB stick which is being loaded instead of the custom one.
As long as you are inputting the correct IP address, you will see the webif.
Do you have a HDD plugged into the hd box?

I think this may be the key. The custom firmware needs some kind of USB storage on which to install fully, a small USB Flash drive is enough but you will want something bigger if you are planning to record anything on the HD.

Assuming you do have a disk attached then if you can telnet into the box then the firmware installed ok, you can double check with the following command (at the humax# prompt)

Code:
humax# cat /etc/modversion

To install the web interface from the command line do

Code:
humax# opkg update && opkg install webif

and see if that works.

I think this may be the key. The custom firmware needs some kind of USB storage on which to install fully, a small USB Flash drive is enough but you will want something bigger if you are planning to record anything on the HD.

I wondered if that might be the case but the installation instructions explicitely say remove the USB flash drive before rebooting. I don't otherwsie have a drive attached to the HD, don't have one handy and don't intend to record.

Check you don't have another update file on the USB stick which is being loaded instead of the custom one.
As long as you are inputting the correct IP address, you will see the webif.

No I do NOT have another update on the USB stick.
Yes I DO have the correct IP address. It pings and telnets OK
No I do NOT see the webif, that is what greatly puzzles me.

You need something to host the custom software. The custom firmware update only adds the hooks that are required and some limited functionality - after that one expects to download the rest directly from the Internet package management to a connected USB drive.

That said, having installed the custom firmware one still expects to see a limited web interface which offers to download the rest of the basic package.

BTW, for the HD-FOX (not the HDR-FOX), one does not need to remove the firmware update USB stick before rebooting, because the box only goes searching for an update file if the stand-by button is held in.

If you can telnet the box then I would try opkg install webif.
But as stated above, a HDD is used to store the majority of additional files due to the lack of free space without one.
The custom firmware comes as standard with a basic webif page that includes an option to install the full version.

It has to be said, the majority of mods will require a HDD, again because of the lack of free space without one.

You need something to host the custom software. The custom firmware update only adds the hooks that are required and some limited functionality - after that one expects to download the rest directly from the Internet package management to a connected USB drive.

That said, having installed the custom firmware one still expects to see a limited web interface which offers to download the rest of the basic package.

BTW, for the HD-FOX (not the HDR-FOX), one does not need to remove the firmware update USB stick before rebooting, because the box only goes searching for an update file if the stand-by button is held in.

It would be useful if the installation instructions said that rather than saying the USB stick SHOULD be removed. I have tried again with the original USB FAT32 remaining and it made no difference. I then tried again with a USB EXT3 formated drive attached and all worked OK. But I have no USB drive that I can leave nor want to leave permanently attached to the HD box.

I have now tried again after unplugging the USB drive and there is no web interface, not even a basic one. Plug it back in and the web interface is back, no reboot was needed.

So it looks as if the custom software is not much use without a USB attached drive. It's a pity the documentation does not state this very important requirement.

I find this behaviour odd, certainly different from when I installed the mods onto my HD-FOX. I have a FAT32 stick up its backside.

I have unplugged my HDD and of course I have lost the Webif. This I expected but the standard TV Portal will not load and I get a jim error message on screen. I clear the message by choosing OK and then find that other buttons do not work until I press exit. I then get the standard message on screen: 'Humax TV Portal has ended' and the remote works again.
Hot swapped the HDD back in and everything back to normal.

2GB. It doesn't need much anyway, even 1GB should be plenty. You only need a couple of quids worth of pocket-money stick to leave there permanently (I tried to use one of my really old 128MB ones, but the drivers wouldn't support it).

It's a pity the documentation does not state this very important requirement.

Without a USB disk, the customised firmware just gives you telnet access - which is all some people use it for. [It should actually also give you the basic web interface and we don't know why yours isn't, but all that lets you do is install the full one, for which you need a disk attached.]

To use any of the additional packages you do need a small USB disk attached and, yes, the documentation needs updating to reflect that. The documentation is maintained by the community and anyone can make changes to the Wiki.

To use any of the additional packages you do need a small USB disk attached and, yes, the documentation needs updating to reflect that. The documentation is maintained by the community and anyone can make changes to the Wiki.

WiKi now updated to show a USB device is required for Hd Fox T2

2GB. It doesn't need much anyway, even 1GB should be plenty. You only need a couple of quids worth of pocket-money stick to leave there permanently (I tried to use one of my really old 128MB ones, but the drivers wouldn't support it).

512MB which I originally thought would be big enough to hold an 18MB update file. For reasons not clear neither my 6GB sticks work (as the documentation says might be the case). I got this working by plugging in the 1TB drive I normally attach to the HDR which is why I cannot leave it connected to the HD. The reason for wanting the custome software was to install cifs support and allow use of a NAS so that no permanent USB connection would be required.

512MB should be more than enough. I can only think that the Hummy doesn't like that particular stick. But like I said, they're cheap enough and you will need one permanently connected.

Even with practically every package installed, including the compiler which is pretty meaty, my /mod directory only comes in at around 280MiB.

512MB should be more than enough. I can only think that the Hummy doesn't like that particular stick. But like I said, they're cheap enough and you will need one permanently connected.
The HD loads the custom software fine from that device but it does not then use it for the rest of the install. But there appear to be many unexpected things in this area so it surprises me not if this is another one. For example, why are some USB stiks not usable at all? It seems that that having a large EXT3 drive attached allows the software to be intalled consistently and anything else might or might not work.

Back