Trouble with DLNA streaming

Havenview

Hi all,
I have been running 2 HDR T2s now for some time, 1 on custom firmware and 1 on stock firmware. After my hard drive in the custom firmware unit recently started to fail I managed to successfully upgrade it to a 2TB unit and restore all my recordings thanks entirely to the custom firmware. After this success, I decided to put custom firmware on the other unit. Both have been running fine now for several weeks. I can successfully watch programmes recorded by one box on the other and also extract the .TS files (SD and HD thanks to auto-decrypt) and play them locally on a PC or Android devices (specifically using MXplayer). Where I start to have trouble on Android is with Skifta. I have tried every combination I can think of but I am not able to DLNA stream from either of the Humax units via Skifta to MXplayer. I have had this working before I used custom firmware and I have tried several Android devices all showing the same problem which is spinning wait circle in MXplayer with a zero duration timeline. As soon as I FTP the file onto the android device MXplayer decodes and plays the video flawlessly. I have a Windows Home server on the system and accessing humax .TS files stored on that via skifta and MXplayer work fine.
I'm stuck - I cannot seem to find any logic in this, it just seems to be the Humax-Skifta-MXplayer combo that doesn't want to play ball.
Any ideas peeps?

I can recommend MediaHouse for DLNA streaming from the Humax to an Android device, it will also download to the device if required (for say a slow wifi link and Hi-Def. files), a short 'tap' will stream and a long 'tap' will download. Having said that I have just tried Humax-Skifta-MXplayer and it also worked, so you may have the same problems with MediaHouse

I've had similar problems with the Humax-Skifta-MXplayer combo. It worked originally on my Galaxy S2 running Android 2.3.6, then stopped working (just got the spinning circle in MXplayer). I then tried it on a cheap tablet running Android 4.0.3 and it worked more consistently. However, I noticed that if I stopped watching the program and exited MXplayer and Skifta, then opened the Humax web interface, the drop-down window at the top of the page would tell me that the Humax was still chase playing the program I'd previously been watching on the Android tablet. In other words, it seems that the MXplayer doesn't send a message to the Humax telling it to stop playback?? Putting the Humax into standby clears the problem and I can open the file again in MXplayer (although not on the Galaxy S2).

I've since installed DicePlayer (which helpfully allows you to configure the same swipe controls as MXplayer for volume, brightness & playback control) and now watch programs using a Humax-Skifta-DicePlayer combo on both Android devices. However, when I've finished watching a program I always hit the 'skip to the end' key, which seems to stop playback from the Humax.

As your content is already decrypted I would not bother with DLNA. If you install the samba package on your HDRs you can use something like ES File Explorer to access your content. In the LAN section of ES file explorer, set up each HDR as a server: select new, in the 'server' field, type 192.168.x.x/media (use your HDR's IP address here). Tick the 'anonymous' box and provide a name for the Hummy. Then you can explore the contents of your HDR. If you then open a TS file, you will be asked to pick a suitable player app (e.g. MX). Your programme will then play.

Ezra - your prognosis about MediaHouse was correct - I experience the same problems with that player
SteveR - spot on Sir - That is *exactly* what I found, indeed the drop-down shows on a file even if it has not successfully started playing ie in my scenario
Whittled my network down to a replacement router / one Humax / one android only and still problems and still consistent with the second Humax and a different android device
I then tried SteveR's suggestion of DicePlayer and that worked (except playback was erratic which had been reported in rating feedback anyway)
I too conclude that it is probably MXplayer's network message handling doesn't like Humax devices.
This is disappointing because it handles the video very well and I have yet to find a filetype it won't play - anyone know what their support is like?
Monty - fine solution but regrettably a possible dangerzone for SWMBO - if it gets too complicated then I would be instantly promoted to be your evil triplet ! ;-)

Thank you all for you comments

I have tried out a lot of different video players with my android tablets. The best I found were MX Player and BS Player: both play HDR Fox hi def content well. Try out BS Player if MX is problematic. This may be nothing to do with your problem, but I found that both MX and BS players are more stable when playing Hummy hi def files with software decoding rather than hardware.

I'm having the problem, tried bubble upnp, skifta and mx player and Xfbmn, all of them just get a spinning circle then drop back to the software.

What's annoying is that in the past on the same phone (galaxy s3) bubble upnp has worked perfectly. Don't know if it's a problem with the hummy or the phone?

I had a bit more of a play with this over the weekend and am a bit confused now, having had it working with Bubble upnp and MX player, it now seems that MX player can't (or won't) play the ts files from the hummy.

I installed VLC media player on my phone and browsed the hummy using Bubble upnp which then sent the file to play with vlc and it played staright away, though it seemed to lack the ability to skip thru the file etc which MX player used to do...

Hi all,
I have been running 2 HDR T2s now for some time, 1 on custom firmware and 1 on stock firmware. After my hard drive in the custom firmware unit recently started to fail I managed to successfully upgrade it to a 2TB unit and restore all my recordings thanks entirely to the custom firmware. After this success, I decided to put custom firmware on the other unit. Both have been running fine now for several weeks. I can successfully watch programmes recorded by one box on the other and also extract the .TS files (SD and HD thanks to auto-decrypt) and play them locally on a PC or Android devices (specifically using MXplayer). Where I start to have trouble on Android is with Skifta. I have tried every combination I can think of but I am not able to DLNA stream from either of the Humax units via Skifta to MXplayer. I have had this working before I used custom firmware and I have tried several Android devices all showing the same problem which is spinning wait circle in MXplayer with a zero duration timeline. As soon as I FTP the file onto the android device MXplayer decodes and plays the video flawlessly. I have a Windows Home server on the system and accessing humax .TS files stored on that via skifta and MXplayer work fine.
I'm stuck - I cannot seem to find any logic in this, it just seems to be the Humax-Skifta-MXplayer combo that doesn't want to play ball.
Any ideas peeps?

Try UPnPlay and MX Player or VPlayer on Android. Note: UPnPlay, not UPnPlayer.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=cx.hoohol.silanoid

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=me.abitno.vplayer.t

Edit: There is now an easier route. Vplayer has its own UPnP:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=me.abitno.vplayer.t.plugs.upnp

Back