Trying to run fix disk..

Brian Dawson

I am trying to run fix disk but when I enable 'maintenance mode' from Web-if and reboot I cannot regain connection from telnet. The box shows 'maintenance' on the front. I have another HDR Fox T2 box with the same setup and I can get to 'fix disk' without any problem. I don't know if it could be relevant but 'tunefix' does not work on the box am having problems with but works fine on the other..Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Web interface version: 1.4.2-6
Custom firmware version: 3.13 (build 4028)
Humax Version: 1.03.12 (kernel HDR_CFW_3.13)
Loader Version: a7.30
System ID: 80bc.7e00
Serial Number: 63 7104285 00577
Last Boot Reason: Unknown (4)

Nonetheless this is likely to be the problem - different dongles perhaps? Even if the same on the surface, they are not necessarily the same underneath. You could try swapping them. Can you use Ethernet, even if only temporarily?

I am trying to run fix disk but when I enable 'maintenance mode' from Web-if and reboot I cannot regain connection from telnet.
Try port 24 i.e. "telnet a.b.c.d 24" instead. I expect that's not the problem, but worth ruling out.
I don't know if it could be relevant but 'tunefix' does not work on the box am having problems with
Can't think how, but if you want to expand on what exactly doesn't work in the tunefix thread...

I have tried swapping the dongles but no change. (The dongles are supposedly identical). I haven't tried Ethernet but could try tomorrow..

I have tried on port 24 but still cannot connect.

When I click on 'settings for tunefix' on the 'working' box it brings up a new page showing lists of channels and preferred region etc. When I click on the same on the problem box I get page with the usual freeview header showing the space available on the disk but everything below is blank.

The reason I am trying to access fix disk is that when the box has been in standby for a number of hours, over night perhaps, and it is turned on it gets to 'start system' and the humax logo on the TV but the disk does not spin up and it doesn't get any further. If it is turned off and on on the switch on the back it will work fine until the following night or that same afternoon. When it is working it appears fine. I can record, playback and put in and out of standby but the problem occurs at least once every day. I have tried reinstalling the latest firmware and installed system flush hence wanting maintenance mode and disk check and repair. Incidentally I cannot format the disk from the standard menu (system, data storage, format storage) as it says 'the capacity is too large'. The disk is shown as 'available size 681GB,used 221GB, reserved size 429496347GB,total size 500GB. I have not changed the hard drive but the unit was bought second hand recently..

Thank you for the help so far..

When I click on 'settings for tunefix' on the 'working' box it brings up a new page showing lists of channels and preferred region etc. When I click on the same on the problem box I get page with the usual freeview header showing the space available on the disk but everything below is blank.
That's possibly a symptom of corruption of the filesystem on disk.
Is there anything in the webif-error.log file on the Diagnostics page of the WebIf?
The reason I am trying to access fix disk is that when the box has been in standby for a number of hours, over night perhaps, and it is turned on it gets to 'start system' and the humax logo on the TV but the disk does not spin up and it doesn't get any further. If it is turned off and on on the switch on the back it will work fine until the following night or that same afternoon. When it is working it appears fine. I can record, playback and put in and out of standby but the problem occurs at least once every day.
Can you post the data from the Disk Diagnostics page (again via Diags. page of WebIf)?
I suspect hardware problems with either the disk or the motherboard (or both) though.
Incidentally I cannot format the disk from the standard menu (system, data storage, format storage) as it says 'the capacity is too large'.
That's normal. The CF packages prevent one of the disk's partitions from being unmounted and the brain dead Humax software only has one error message to cover every possible fault.
The disk is shown as 'available size 681GB,used 221GB, reserved size 429496347GB,total size 500GB.
There's definitely something wrong with the filesystem.
I have not changed the hard drive but the unit was bought second hand recently..
Hmm, you might have bought something yellow and acidic.

Last edited:
webif-error.log file:
2 at file "/mod/webif/plugin/tunefix/web/index.jim", line 13
1 /mod/webif/plugin/tunefix/web/index.jim:13: Error: couldn't exec "/mod/boot/xinit.d/tunefix"
Disk Information
SMART Status PASSED
Model Family Seagate Pipeline HD 5900.2
Device Model ST3500312CS
Serial Number 6VV3ACDE
LU WWN Device Id 5 000c50 027dfdad4
Firmware Version SC13
User Capacity 500,107,862,016 bytes [500 GB]
Sector Size 512 bytes logical/physical
Rotation Rate 5900 rpm
Device is In smartctl database [for details use: -P show]
ATA Version is ATA8-ACS T13/1699-D revision 4
SATA Version is SATA 2.6, 3.0 Gb/s (current: 3.0 Gb/s)
Local Time is Thu Aug 24 00:02:39 2017 BST
SMART support is Available - device has SMART capability.
SMART support is Enabled
Attributes
ID Name Flags Raw Value Value Worst Threshold Life Left Notes
1 Raw_Read_Error_Rate POSR-- 21680437 109 099 006 -
3 Spin_Up_Time PO---- 0 097 097 000 -
4 Start_Stop_Count -O--CK 16150 085 085 020 82% -
5 Reallocated_Sector_Ct PO--CK 0 100 100 036 100% -
7 Seek_Error_Rate POSR-- 184003947 082 060 030 -
9 Power_On_Hours -O--CK 11310 088 088 000 88% -
10 Spin_Retry_Count PO--C- 0 100 100 097 100% -
12 Power_Cycle_Count -O--CK 8075 093 093 020 92% -
184 End-to-End_Error -O--CK 0 100 100 099 -
187 Reported_Uncorrect -O--CK 3 097 097 000 -
188 Command_Timeout -O--CK 0 100 100 000 -
189 High_Fly_Writes -O-RCK 1 099 099 000 -
190 Airflow_Temperature_Cel -O---K 53 047 (53°C) 044 (56°C) 045 (55°C) In_the_past
194 Temperature_Celsius -O---K 53 053 056 000 -
195 Hardware_ECC_Recovered -O-RC- 21680437 044 039 000 -
197 Current_Pending_Sector -O--C- 0 100 100 000 -
198 Offline_Uncorrectable ----C- 0 100 100 000 -
199 UDMA_CRC_Error_Count -OSRCK 0 200 200 000 -
Self-test logs
No. Description Status Remaining When First Error LBA
# 1 Short offline Completed without error 00% 11306 -
# 2 Short offline Completed without error 00% 11297 -
# 3 Short offline Completed without error 00% 4119 -
Rendered in: 0.708 seconds

Thanks for the help so far..

webif-error.log file:
2 at file "/mod/webif/plugin/tunefix/web/index.jim", line 13
1 /mod/webif/plugin/tunefix/web/index.jim:13: Error: couldn't exec "/mod/boot/xinit.d/tunefix"
That's not good. You could try removing and re-installing the package. But you really need to fix the filesystem first.

The SMART stats. look OK on the face of it, but if the disk interface apparently keeps failing then the only thing you can do is try changing the disk and see what happens.

Removal and reinstallation of tunefix has sorted out that problem. Is it still worth trying Ethernet connection for fix disk or would I be wasting my time?

The reason I am trying to access fix disk is that when the box has been in standby for a number of hours, over night perhaps, and it is turned on it gets to 'start system' and the humax logo on the TV but the disk does not spin up and it doesn't get any further.
This is the worrying bit. If the HDD definitely isn't spinning up, this is a hard fault (not something that can be cured by fixdisk).

I have run fix disk by connecting with Ethernet and the size of the hard drive is now showing the correct size so limited progress I guess. I will see what happens over the next few days. My PC has two 500GB hard drives, one for manual backup, which I could take out and fit in to the humax. They are sata but do different types or makes cause problems?

I assume you are suggesting it is more likely not a hard drive problem Black Hole?

My PC has two 500GB hard drives, one for manual backup, which I could take out and fit in to the humax. They are sata but do different types or makes cause problems?
Sometimes they do. You will get away with a normal desktop drive for a short test, but you really need a 'video' drive if you're going to swap it permanently.
http://www.seagate.com/gb/en/enterprise-storage/hard-disk-drives/video-3-5-hdd/
I assume you are suggesting it is more likely not a hard drive problem Black Hole?
It may or may not be. You will only find out by swapping the drive and observing what happens over time.

Why not? If the drive fails to spin up there is either a problem with the drive or a problem with the interface - impossible to tell which except by trial and error. As this seems to be intermittent, it is also impossible to conclude that just because it doesn't occur any particular time the problem is fixed. If you can reliably induce the problem by some specific set of circumstances, you have a basis for testing.

You should hope that the drive is the problem, because you can fix that by replacement. There's nothing you can reasonably do to fix the interface!

The disk is shown as 'available size 681GB,used 221GB, reserved size 429496347GB,total size 500GB.
That might not be caused by a filesystem error. If you mount the folder '/mnt/hd2' from a second HDR-FOX as an NFS share or connect two HDR-FOX units with the foxlink package it messes up the onscreen drive space calculations in the way that you have described. The values return to normal when you put the second unit into standby. To avoid this don't use foxlink to link two HDR-FOX units, or mount the video folder of the remote unit only as '/media/My Video/' rather than mounting the entire '/mnt/hd2' folder.

Back