Trying to run fix disk..

That might not be caused by a filesystem error. If you mount the folder '/mnt/hd2' from a second HDR-FOX as an NFS share or connect two HDR-FOX units with the foxlink package it messes up the onscreen drive space calculations in the way that you have described. The values return to normal when you put the second unit into standby. To avoid this don't use foxlink to link two HDR-FOX units, or mount the video folder of the remote unit only as '/media/My Video/' rather than mounting the entire '/mnt/hd2' folder.
I want to connect the two boxes particularly if the problem box has not recorded a programme because of it's faults but it has been recorded on the other box. I don't mind if this messes up the drive space calculations and I thought foxlink was the way to do it. So, just to be sure, are you saying foxlink is the way to link two boxes but ignore the drive space calculations?

So? If the HDD really isn't spinning up, what else are you going to blame? It seems to me there are only those two possibilities.
I can't recall any reports of faulty SATA ports on an HDR-FOX T2 so I think it is far more likely to be the hard drive.

Sorry MontysEvilTwin I have since realised that there is more to foxlink than I thought. I have started going through https://wiki.hummy.tv/wiki/Foxlink. Can someone tell me what
  • 'Flag the top-level media directory for recursive decrypt.' means and how I do it and am I right in thinking that the 'Configure the foxlink package via the web interface settings screen' should have the IP address for that box? I am beginning to feel out of my depth...

Apologies again MontysEvilTwin I would have found the answers to the above if I had read the whole post..I will concentrate on trying to sort out the possible hard drive problem.

Thank you for all your help

Brian Dawson - to cross-link HDRs (so you can view recordings from one on the other), all you really need to do is turn on Content Share (Menu >> Settings >> System >> Internet Setting). Then you will be able to access recordings via Media >> Storage (blue) >> Network.

To get into foxlink (which admittedly has the advantage of all the bookmarking, management, and transport control as if the recording were local), you need everything decrypted. See Things Every... section 5 for details.

Brian Dawson - I was just wondering if you already had foxlink installed. The odd drive space numbers like the ones you reported can be caused by foxlink. If you don't have foxlink installed or an NFS share set up then the odd numbers you reported must be being caused by something else, e.g. a corrupted filesystem.

MontysEvilTwin - You are correct. I did have foxlink installed and now I have uninstalled it disk capacities are shown correctly. Thank you for your time..
Once you have both boxes up and running, foxlink is an easy way of networking them. As stated above, recordings need to be decrypted for this to work. Although the drive space values presented on screen are affected this won't cause you any problems. The drive space totals in webif are unaffected and will be correct.

It will if you run out of space thinking you have some left.
If you have two foxlinked units the available and used values are sums of those values from both units, the reserved size is a nonsense value and the drive size is correct for the unit in question. So you could think you have more space than you do have, and a recording may fail because of it but I doubt this would be a common occurrence, unless the disk were kept almost full most of the time. The drive space values are correct when the linked unit is in full standby and are always correct on webif so it is easy to keep an eye it.
Ideally a tweak to the foxlink package would be useful. I use NFS shares with network shares automount, mounting '/media/My Video'. This solves the problem.

This thread, along with a window of opportunity while SWMBO is absent, has prompted me to try again to run fix disc. But I've failed, again. The wireless is the stumbling block even though the helper package is installed.
The wireless of both boxes is flaky even in day-to-day use; I'd say they only connect on startup about 50% of the time; one is a bit worse than the other (they have slightly different dongles). Most of the time this is not a problem as they connect often enough to auto-update the CFW and if I really need to manage them at a particular moment I can use the TV interface to poke a reconnect to the network.

The problem with fix disc of course is that I can get it into maintenance mode, but then can't reconnect to telnet back in. Today I dug out an ethernet cable and did a peer-to-peer connection to the laptop (I don't have a cable long enough to reach the router), but despite trying to match IP network settings I couldn't get a connection (this was in normal operation again, not maintenance). Is this even possible? (I know that years ago you had to use a crossover cable to make direct connections but I thought modern kit auto-detected the 'polarity'.)

Yes it's possible;
No you don't need a crossover cable;
If you are trying to do this in Windows you are onto a hiding. The easiest way is to find out the PC's settings (ipconfig on the command line) and match the HDR-FOX network settings to those (same subnet mask, different last byte of the IP address).

Oooh. ipconfig ... It's been a while since I've used that; probably 10 years. We used to be in and out of that a lot as I recall, but I can't recall exactly why. (It was while setting up our scada systems.)

I was trying to match the PC today but all I had was it's IP address from the adapter properties, so probably a mistaken guess somewhere. I will try again tomorrow.
Thanks for the suggestion.

Yes it's possible;
No you don't need a crossover cable;
If you are trying to do this in Windows you are onto a hiding. The easiest way is to find out the PC's settings (ipconfig on the command line) and match the HDR-FOX network settings to those (same subnet mask, different last byte of the IP address).
Still no joy. One wrinkle is that the laptop is connected to the ethernet cable via a USB-C to RJ45 adapter. I'd think it eminently possible that is the fly in the ointment.

Anyways up, I think I'll invest a tenner in a 15m patch cable so I can lash the box direct to the router. Slightly annoying but it'll make life a lot easier (probably).

I have borrowed a 250GB sata drive, although not an AV, and all has been fine since. I have therefore ordered a http://www.seagate.com/gb/en/enterprise-storage/hard-disk-drives/video-3-5-hdd/as recommended by prpr . Can you confirm the new hard drive is to be formatted at FAT32 and can you confirm this SATA to USB will enabe me to transfer the files from the old to the new hard drive when it arrives http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2-5-3-5-H...554930?hash=item5d658ad172:g:VGkAAOSwbYZXXH78. Many thanks..

Back