Trying to run fix disk..

That cable is a bit penny-pinching. It claims to provide 12V to a HDD, but I can't see where that 12V comes from - there is only 5V available on a USB port. That may be OK for a 5V-only HDD, but that's not the case for the one that came out of your HDR-FOX!

As a useful tool for the future, buy a USB-SATA+PATA adapter that includes an external power brick (maybe the PATA interface isn't so important any more, unless you have a few PATA HDDs knocking about - like me).

Regarding formatting: just stuff the new HDD into the 'FOX and use the CF to format it (unless it is 2TB or less, in which case let the standard Humax tools format it). See the large drives blog in the wiki for instructions: https://wiki.hummy.tv/wiki/Very_Large_Hard_Drive

Here a USB-SATA one with a UK normal plug and under £10.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2-5-3-5-I...-0-Cable-UK-Fused-Power-Adapter-/320895175406

If you already have a suitable power brick then the other bits can be had for a lot less.

The Ebay item shown in #40 plugs into a eSata port on a computer / laptop not a USB port, so if the OP doesn't have an eSata socket, he should not buy it
Really? The title of that listing says USB... I assumed the OP intended to connect the old drive to a USB port on the HDR-FOX, so a USB-SATA adapter is what is required.

Yes, although you will save some money on eBay (Amazon postage gets expensive unless you make the order up to £20 or pay the Amazon Prime subscription).

For £8.95 inc, what's not to like?

If you already have a suitable power brick then the other bits can be had for a lot less.
The problem is identifying a suitable one from the miscellaneous collection one accumulates. For that money, why go to the trouble.

Really? The title of that listing says USB...
The Ebay sellers are being somewhat 'economical ' with their description, they refer to a USB Combo eSata cable and show this picture lower down the page :-

2017-08-31_14.45.48.jpg

You can plug an eSata device or a USB device into it, but you can't plug their eSata device into a USB only port

Thanks. I'm not familiar with eSATA ports, and had no idea they are dual purpose (but no doubt my pending purchase of a shiny new PC motherboard will acquaint me).

I suspect many the likes of the OP would have fallen into that trap. Describing the listing as "economical" doesn't seem to cut it - there is no need to mention USB at all, unless the intention is to mislead.

It's a bit of a 'dog's breakfast ' in my opinion, you have 7 pin Sata (usually an internal connector) , the 7 pins don't carry power, so you then get eSata / USB combo (external connector), which has the same 7 pins and gets 5V power from the USB pins, also sometimes called eSatap, 'e' for external 'p' for powered, then you get eSatap dual power where they shoehorn in 12V as well to supply dual voltage HDDs.

Unless you have a specific need for eSata / USB I would go with USB3 ports instead, they are much the same data rate and much more universaly used

I bought one of THESE It does need a separate 12V supply for 5 1/2" HDD though and it's not a 'standard' size 12V skt.:(

Is there a "standard sized" 12V DC connector (I presume you mean a concentric barrel-shaped thingy)? You've got a few options here: https://www.maplin.co.uk/p/20w-acdc-multi-voltage-power-supply-l06br

L06BR_2

Although I agree that there is no 'standard' size. None of the 12V connectors on my various 12V PSUs fit.
However, I have a PSU that takes the adaprors and have several of the adaptor sets that you indicate, and the size needed is 3.4mm OD. Probably 4th from the left in your pic.
But the Maplin one adds a further £15 to the purchase price, but will ensure that the device will run a 5 /14" HDD.

The item indicated in post 51 is a suggestion for a generally useful PSU rather than a specific one for a SATA adapter - and it's on offer at the mo. With one of those in the tool kit, a non-powered USB-SATA adapter wouldn't be an issue.

Anyways up, I think I'll invest a tenner in a 15m patch cable so I can lash the box direct to the router. Slightly annoying but it'll make life a lot easier (probably).
Yeah, that worked fine.
It (fixdisk) has got rid of my red current pending sector and offline uncorrectable warnings (lines 197 & 198 in the disk diagnostics) and instead put up an orange reallocated sector count of 8 (line 5). I assume that's not a problem at this stage. (It did fix a block and recommended deleting or restoring a file with a problem, I guess with the faulty block in it. I deleted it.) It's an OEM 1TB disk.

Yeah, that worked fine.
It (fixdisk) has got rid of my red current pending sector and offline uncorrectable warnings (lines 197 & 198 in the disk diagnostics) and instead put up an orange reallocated sector count of 8 (line 5). I assume that's not a problem at this stage.
Correct; reallocated sector counts are not an issue until there something of the order of a thousand on a 1TB disk.

Back