TS file format / parameters

geordie

Hi

I have been doing some video manipulation with a tool called movavi. I noticed that when I take a TS file that is e.g. 1.7Gb, movavi can create a MPEG-2 file which is 16Gb. So the settings used by movavi are different to the original TS file. Does anyone know what settings the TS file has and I will try to create these when saving the file back onto the Humax.

My goal is to take original TS files and where newscasts etc break up the recording, remove them and save it altered file back onto the Humax. I know which might affect the sidebar files so I don't get the full functionality but I don't mind that. I just would like the altered file to be very similar size/format to the original.

Thanks

If you use the the customised firmware you can crop recordings to remove ads and other unwanted material on the box without the need for transfer to/from a PC
The detectads package can automatically detect ad breaks in programmes while they are recording or later

Perhaps I should have worded it better: I meant "why are you trying to do it that way?". Re-encoding is best avoided, but maybe the OP has a reason - if he wants a cleaner edit than nicesplice offers on-box, for example.

But how can you easily delete the news breaks that geordie wants to edit out?
Most news breaks in films etc result in split recordings that can be joined together on box without need for movavi.

I don't know if movavi has any better detection method for long ads, trailers and charity appeals that can be hard for detectads to spot and it might do a better job of avoiding sound dropouts at the cut points.

As @Black Hole said
"why are you trying to do it that way?"

I know which might affect the sidebar files so I don't get the full functionality
The sidecar files can be rebuilt on box using the appropriately named sidecar package

The sidecar files can be rebuilt on box using the appropriately named sidecar package
...but only if the edited video is output in Humax's TS (M2TS) format.

BTW: this is another thread which ought to be in Audio/Video File Manipulation.

All true but as OP posted in this forum he possibly hasn't been fully converted to the One True Way, only just enough to have decrypted his recordings.

Tools such as AviDemux, or possibly LosslessCut (not tested by me), which are both essentially applications of ffmpeg, should be able to edit the files without re-encoding ("Stream Copy") on another computer, and AV2HDR-T2 could be used, at least on Windows, to re-create the sidecar files.

For what it's worth...
You can't do on the box stuff on a 2000T so when I want to do something similar to the OP I resort to the following.
Download decrypted .ts to PC. Use VideoReDo (not free!) to manually ( :eek: ) edit out the adverts, news etc. Save in mpg format using intelligent encoding - ie. most of the video/audio is just copied and only the cut points re-encoded. If I want to put the programme back on the 2000T nearly in original form I use Raydon's AV2HDR-T2 to re-create the .ts and provide the sidecar files (having saved the original .hmt to copy the EPG information).

Perhaps I should have worded it better: I meant "why are you trying to do it that way?". Re-encoding is best avoided, but maybe the OP has a reason - if he wants a cleaner edit than nicesplice offers on-box, for example.
I already had movavi and thought I could use it to merge a few episodes in a series into one movie length file.

For what it's worth...
You can't do on the box stuff on a 2000T so when I want to do something similar to the OP I resort to the following.
Download decrypted .ts to PC. Use VideoReDo (not free!) to manually ( :eek: ) edit out the adverts, news etc. Save in mpg format using intelligent encoding - ie. most of the video/audio is just copied and only the cut points re-encoded. If I want to put the programme back on the 2000T nearly in original form I use Raydon's AV2HDR-T2 to re-create the .ts and provide the sidecar files (having saved the original .hmt to copy the EPG information).
I'll see whether this works. Movavi is really good but looks like it fails on this.

I already had movavi and thought I could use it to merge a few episodes in a series into one movie length file.
You can do that direct on the HDR-FOX using the custom firmware facilities, but there will be audio glitches at the joins.

FWIW, I also use VideoRedo for editing off the box (when I don't need the facilities of a full-blown video authoring tool).

Back