[tunefix-update] Automated Freeview channel updates

prpr

This is a very simple package designed to remove the need to retune to move channels on to their correct LCNs or to delete them. It does not however support new channel additions (it does now!).
The Freeview authorities seem to change things around with increasing regularity, so if you want to stay (reasonably!) current, this might be the package for you.
It relies on having tunefix installed and will install it if necessary.

It creates a channel update file on installation, which is acted upon on the next run of tunefix at the next reboot, and is then deleted... until the next time a package update is released when the process will repeat.

There is nothing to configure, nothing to run and no user interface. You should just see the results in your channel numbering.

Last edited:
There is nothing to configure, nothing to run and no user interface. You should just see the results in your channel numbering.
Sounds great .... but, does it log what it's doing to a file so we can see what happened when it all goes pear-shaped?

It's in xinit.log until the next time the machine boots.
Anyway, it won't go pear-shaped! And if by some tiny chance it does, all you need to do is a retune.

Thanks much.

Does it run itself immediately on install?

I've just installed it, but I see nothing in xinit.log. I assume that's because it doesn't think it needs to do anything?

Yet I'm sure I see a "you need to retune to change numbers" message, on some channel the other day... can't remember which.

I think it was Dave Ja Vu (lcn 25); needless to say, it isn't transmitting any such message now I check. Am I going mad?

update:

ah, I think I was right, but the move hasn't actually happened yet (of course). And they're not permanently transmitting the text so as to not further annoy people?

So presumably a new release of this pkg will pick that up when it happens?

And they're not permanently transmitting the text so as to not further annoy people?
Once you acknowledge the message you don't see it again, unless the transmission network decides to designate it "new" again,

As long as you have auto-update installed, it all takes place in the background (although prpr has saddled himself with providing the update each shuffle).

Does it run itself immediately on install?
No, it just creates the config. file on install. Tunefix runs and processes the file when you next reboot (or restart the Humax software as per my thread elsewhere).
I've just installed it, but I see nothing in xinit.log. I assume that's because it doesn't think it needs to do anything?
When it does run, you will see something in the log only if it did something. Depending on where you're starting from, it may or may not need to, but without knowing I can't tell you!
ah, I think I was right, but the move hasn't actually happened yet (of course). And they're not permanently transmitting the text so as to not further annoy people?
It's just an LCN change as far as I'm aware. There is no "move" as such, like when they are changing muxes.
It's already incorporated, moving 25 to 84.
(although prpr has saddled himself with providing the update each shuffle).
It's not an onerous task.

Last edited:
It 'did it'd stuff' this morning on both my HDRs. As mentioned above, 25 moved to 84.

Thanks prpr.

It's in xinit.log until the next time the machine boots.

OK, I read this as "when there is a pending change, it will be in the log until the reboot causes the change to occur".

I now see how I was misreading it :)

thanks...

tunefix-update has been updated to add Channel 5 HD automatically without needing a retune.

Updated for recent mux. moves and additions:
34 ITV3+1
71 CBS Drama
122 CITV
600 BBC RB 0

One little bugette.
On the box that I'd manually added CH5HD on the tunefix update appears to have reinstalled it. The symptom was that it had disappeared from the Favourites list and I had to go and add it in again.
The box which had acquired CH5HD solely through the tunefix update seems to have retained it in the Favourites through a couple of reboots, so that seems OK.

One little bugette.
On the box that I'd manually added CH5HD on the tunefix update appears to have reinstalled it. The symptom was that it had disappeared from the Favourites list and I had to go and add it in again.
The box which had acquired CH5HD solely through the tunefix update seems to have retained it in the Favourites through a couple of reboots, so that seems OK.
Yes, I know. I'll have to look at that when the supply of circular tuits has been replenished.

Yes, I know. I'll have to look at that when the supply of circular tuits has been replenished.
I think I might upgrade this to bug. Today both boxes had lost 5HD from the favourites, so it's going to get annoying quite soon. I'd offer some of my tuits to help but I think they are encrypted to me.

The package only installs once, unless you remove and reinstall. Something else must be causing your annoyances.

The package only installs once, unless you remove and reinstall.
Yes of course.
I thought the 'add C5HD update' was perhaps running on each restart, or maybe on the first restart after tunefix got a new version.

Something else must be causing your annoyances.
Well, both boxes have retained C5HD on the favourites today, so hopefully whatever it was has gone away.

tunefix-update has just been updated to automatically incorporate the mux. changes for the Olympics. This should not affect any boxes that have already been retuned (let me know if you see otherwise).

Back