Tuning, channel groups and reservations have disappeared

Ubtree

Member
Two days ago, a scheduled recording failed for no obvious reason, but two subsequent scheduled recordings were successful.

Today I switched on the Humax a few minutes after a scheduled recording should have started, only to find that this scheduled recording had failed to start, and that there was a message stating that the Humax was unable to find any channels. The Humax automatically went to the Factory Settings menu, prompting for tuning to be initiated. The aerial was working OK. (There was no problem with the TV, which is connected to the aerial via the Humax.)

I performed a re-tune, only to have a message state that in order to receive all the local channels I needed to perform another re-tune, which I did. The second re-tuning was successful. The Humax then worked normally, and Custom Firmware (2.22) was still present, but my reservations and channel groups had disappeared.

Can anyone suggest what might have caused this?
 
OP
U

Ubtree

Member
Many thanks for the quick response. I already had disable-ota set and I was aware of the DSO issue, but have now installed the disable-dso package as well.

I'm sorry to have raised again a common and well-known issue. But what threw me was the failed auto-retune, which I hadn't come across before. Do you know what causes a failure? Is it any cause for concern about the health of the Humax, or how it is set up?
 

Black Hole

May contain traces of nut
I may have been a bit hasty in my diagnosis. What I should have said was that what you actually had was the random factory reset event which sometimes happens - nothing to worry about as such, we have no idea what causes it, just that does and is rare.

No harm in having disable-dso installed (in fact, recommended). Auto-retunes can easily get into trouble, particularly when you can "see" more than one transmitter (I can see three).
 

escat

Member
I had exactly the same symptoms (including the double re-tune) on one of my three boxes, but not the other two. A friend had similar problems on all three of his. In my case, there was no correlation between the failing vs non-failing boxes and their disable-ota/dso states. Is it possible that the random factory reset event could have been triggered by something over the air?
 

MontysEvilTwin

Well-Known Member
There can be incidences when you switch on and get the Installation Wizard: you have to then set up your preferences from scratch and retune. It is not known why this happens but it could be related to a file or database corruption in the flash memory. I have had this problem in the past, both as an isolated incident and in tandem with WiFi settings failing to be stored by the HDR-FOX: see here. I am not keen to call this a factory reset event, since while you get the Installation Wizard like you would if you had performed a factory reset, it is not necessarily the case that a proper reset has occurred. If you look at the linked thread, when you get the Wizard event with the WiFi settings storage problem a factory reset is needed to fix it.

In these recent cases did you get the Wizard or did you just get a message saying that there were no channels stored and were then taken to the tuning menu when you clicked OK? If the latter, as there was an enforced 'DSO' retune yesterday it would seem more likely that this a failure of the autotuning linked to the enforced retune event.
 

escat

Member
In these recent cases did you get the Wizard or did you just get a message saying that there were no channels stored and were then taken to the tuning menu when you clicked OK? If the latter, as there was an enforced 'DSO' retune yesterday it would seem more likely that this a failure of the autotuning linked to the enforced retune event.

Many thanks for this very helpful comment. I did not get the Wizard, nor need to re-establish preferences etc. So, presumably there was an auto-tune failure. All is now OK. Thanks again.
 
OP
U

Ubtree

Member
In these recent cases did you get the Wizard or did you just get a message saying that there were no channels stored and were then taken to the tuning menu when you clicked OK? If the latter, as there was an enforced 'DSO' retune yesterday it would seem more likely that this a failure of the autotuning linked to the enforced retune event.
In my case, I got the message saying that there were no channels stored and was then taken to the tuning menu when I clicked "OK". And, yes, this happened yesterday. But 2 days earlier, there was an unexplained failure of a scheduled recording. It did not result in loss of channels, but I do wonder if the two problems were related in some way.
 

Black Hole

May contain traces of nut
Probably not. Recordings do fail from time to time, but frequently they claim to have failed but play fine.
 

Black Hole

May contain traces of nut
Fair enough, I don't think anybody has reported specific systematic problems with that service. Worth reporting in case it is the tip of the iceberg.
 
Top