Tuning in BBC4HD

RobH1

I was in the Southport area at the weekend helping to set up a Panasonic TV for a relative.
Try as I may, I couldn't get it to tune into BBC4HD. All other programmes were there with the exception of MotorsTV on ch 71. All other HD channels are there too.
I tried auto and manual tune, initially getting some 800 progs but these eventually disappeared. Assuming it is tuned in to Winter Hill, does anyone else have this in the area?

Try as I may, I couldn't get it to tune into BBC4HD. All other programmes were there with the exception of MotorsTV on ch 71. All other HD channels are there too.
BBC4 HD and Motors TV are both carried on the COM7 multiplex which the Digital UK coverage checker suggests is a bit marginal in Southport. You say all other channels were present; does that include BBC News HD on 107 (which is also carried on COM7)?

I think RobH1 may be thinking that all Hi-Def channels are on a single MUX, as Martin has pointed out that is no longer the case, for Winter Hill PSB3 (UHF C54-) contains Hi-Def versions of BBC1, BBC2,BBC3, CBBC, ITV1, Channel4 while COM 7 (UHF 31) has Hi-Def versions of BBC4, BBC News, CBeebies, 4Seven, channel4+1, Al Jazeera as well as MotorsTV etc. in standard Def.. It's also worth pointing out that whereas PSB3 is transmitted at 100,000 Watts, COM7 is only transmitted at 25000 Watts

Thanks gentlemen,

Martin, I will check with the owner and report back. I can't remember if 107 was there or not, but Motors TV was definitely missing, so it appears that as you say, that reception is marginal.
Ezra, I did realise that the Hi Def channels are on two muxes when tuning my own TV from the Caldbeck transmitter but brain fade crept in at Southport as it usually does travelling south over Shap!

If it were a HD/HDR-FOX, and all the COM7 services are missing, then either it is because the reception is too marginal or because the user forgot (when tuning manually) to select DVB-T2 when tuning COM7. But, as it was a TV and I have never come across a TV that needs to be told whether a channel is DVB-T or DVB-T2 (if TVs can do it why can't Humax?), it looks like signal strength rather than user intervention that is at fault.

Feedback from Southport confirms lack of channels listed under the COM7 banner. Obviously a lack of transmission power. Thanks for the imput chaps.

True, I hadn't considered that as a new aerial had been fitted in the last couple of years. I'll ask my relative if he knows anyone in the area who receives the missing channels on DVB, through an aerial.

Back