TV Portal, an utter disappointment?

It has been fixed, at least in the current WebIf beta release.
OK, well here's my brief test with webif 1.5.0-1 (and the results were the same with 1.5.0):

iPad Safari: a small .mp4 plays in browser, but a small .ts appears not to. Clicking the 'play" button on the .mp4 goes straight to a player, whereas the .ts offers an option to "view" or "download". Having selected "view", nothing seems to happen. A large .mp4 takes so long with the spinner running that I'm not sure whether it is slow (over my network!) or broken, but I guess iOS is trying to buffer the whole thing before offering even a thumbnail.

Win7 Chrome; Neither .ts nor .mp4 offer to play in-browser, triggering a download dialogue. What do I have to do to make the .m3u descriptor be interpreted by Chrome? I looked for a VLC or other media/video player extension but came up with no hits.

Win7 Chrome; Neither .ts nor .mp4 offer to play in-browser, triggering a download dialogue. What do I have to do to make the .m3u descriptor be interpreted by Chrome? I looked for a VLC or other media/video player extension but came up with no hits.
You need to set m3u files as automatically opened in vlc See here The vlc browser plugin has never been replaced
Firefox now downloads temporary files to your main download destination instead of temp so I also needed to change my download location to be temp.

I tried using Control Panel to change the file association, and .m3u is shown as associated with Windows Media Player (which I have not set up), but when I try to change that association VLC is already highlighted, and "Always use the selected program" is ticked but greyed out. I tried umpteen things, including running Control Panel with admin privilege, until eventually I realised all I had to do was double-click VLC (despite it being already highlighted)!

However, that only got me one step closer: the small .m3u file got downloaded, but wasn't automatically played in VLC until I opened it in file manager. Solved that by clicking the options on the download notification in Chrome and selecting "always open files of this type" (there doesn't seem to be anything in settings). Still a bit messy though!

Last edited:
This is the fault of browser devs who insisted on ruining what was perfectly good functionality for associating MIME-types with helper applications in Mosaic and hence in Netscape, IE (up to a point) and classic Firefox.

Back