TV Portal - Black screen background

mcentee2

Hi - not sure if this is a usual thing, but my TV Portal has a black background screen, no icons or tiles, just the text names of the services spread out over the screen.

The text changes from white to light blue when selected - very hard to see it esp for other members of the family who aren't particularly IT tolerant!

Should there be icons\tiles logos ?

I am running CF 2.15, and have upgraded from 1.0.2.28 through 29 to 32 this morning in the hope it would cure it - no luck.

Cheers

It only means the server is running slowly today. It will be different another time (and sometimes it won't load at all).

Marvellous - only noticed it last night as we haven't used iPlayer for ages - same this morning so I thought must be something wrong - I shall explain to the home-Luddites then run :)

Ta v much.

I have also had this same problem for the last week or so. I have today updated manually to the latest firmware but there are still no icons on the Portal. I can still, with some difficulty, navigate to the iPlayer link which works fine but otherwise it is a black background. I have a solid 75mb broadband available with Ethernet connection so there is no network issue.

Am I the only person with this issue. This thread is the only link I could find with the same problem!

Just us two then - mine is still the same. It's not brilliant but it doesn't affect how the portal works - once the visually impaired can work out which "icon" they have selected :)

I'm getting the same: the loading banner does not show the usual rotating triangle and the icons are missing when the front page does come up. I think we can safely say the problem is at their end, and everyone will be suffering in the same way.

There is an alternative interface available in the custom firmware via the portal-xtra1 package. With that installed, the standard Humax apps are accessible by key code shortcuts - eg iPlayer becomes TV Portal >> Red >> 2.

I thought about trying that, but as I have no "need" for any extras or tweaks, I thought I would be better just sticking with the stock version.

I thought about trying that, but as I have no "need" for any extras or tweaks, I thought I would be better just sticking with the stock version.
Nobody really needs these extras, but you may be surprised at just how much better the box becomes when you do take the plunge.:)

Yes - had all this on for some years now - great stuff - just didn't have a need for the Portal change :) ...... until now.

Over the past few weeks the standard Humax portal front screen has been very sluggish, however the link leading off it are fine, so there is a benefit to using the Custom Firmware Xtra1 portal even if you only want the standard Humax links

Glad to hear I am not alone then! Just one question, - the custom software looks very tempting however does that mean I will have to reprogram the Harmony remote control or is there a pre-set for it I wonder??

There is no need to reprogram your remote control, nothing changes in the day to day running of the box.

The Custom Firmware doesn't change anything as far as the Remote Control is concerned, It does have a package that allows your laptop/PC to control the Humax over the LAN connector or USB Wi-Fi, it's like having a duplicate Remote Control, but the original remote (or Harmony) is not effected

Quoted from the Custom Software Quick Start Guide:
The Custom Software does not interfere with the normal day-to-day operation of the HD/HDR-FOX, and you will see no difference to the user interface on the TV screen (other than the custom TV portal, which is an optional install). Except under very specific circumstances, all interaction with the Custom Software (where necessary) is by way of the web browser interface and your PC (or other computing device).

Just to say that I have installed the custom software and it is a vast improvement - the efforts of the developers is much appreciated!

Back