TV turning on seemingly at random

notapom

I've had this issue for a week or 2 now. I come in and the TV is turned on, not necessarily to the hdmi 1 port the Humax is connected to but to whatever source the TV was last using (usually hdmi 2 for the laptop).

I've thought today perhaps it is to do with the Humax.

I've read a similar post on here where a TV was being turned on at 4:20am for disable OTA and hdmi CEC was suggested as the culprit. Mine is not turning on during the night, but during the day. I come home from work and it is switched on. I don't have anything recording during the day so the box shouldn't be waking up and sending a signal to the TV so I'm unsure as to why this is occuring but it's only been happening since I've had the Humax so it must be the culprit.

Are you leaving the Humax on 24x7 or switching on as needed?
Is there anything in anything in any of the humax logs, (activity.log, auto.log. redring.log, nugget.log, detectads.log) at around the times of switch on?
Detectads can switch the humax fully on when running while recording but you say you are not recording then

Are you leaving the Humax on 24x7 or switching on as needed?
Is there anything in anything in any of the humax logs, (activity.log, auto.log. redring.log, nugget.log, detectads.log) at around the times of switch on?
Detectads can switch the humax fully on when running while recording but you say you are not recording then

I switch on/off as needed. I did read DetectAds switches the Humax on if your using chase ads but yeah I don't have anything recording during the day.

I'll have a look through the logs tomorrow then. I can't look now as the Humax is too far from the router, I have to move the Humax and TV near the router to do anything on the Web IF and I can't be ar**d for that polava this late!

Or if you have a laptop you could move to Humax and directly connect with a short Cat 5 cable

Last edited:
Or if you have a laptop you could move to Humax and directly connect with a short Cat 5 cable

I tried this originally but my laptop won't connect to the humax with a direct cable. I've also tried using an old router with no joy. If I bring the current router to the Humax, it also doesn't work. If I take the Humax to the router while it's still connected to the phone line, then it works. It seems it needs an internet connection. I don't understand why, I've read I should be able to make a direct connection with a cat5 cable or an offline router but it won't work.

my laptop won't connect to the humax with a direct cable.
It will, you just have to set it up the right way. It's called an "ad hoc" connection (or at least it is if you create a point-to-point WiFi link). What OS? In general, it is a lot easier to set up the HDR-FOX to suit the PC than vice versa.

I service a friend's HDR-FOX via WebIF by plugging in a USB WiFi dongle and linking it to my iPad (as a browser) using my phone hot-spot as the router. No special setup required, because the hot-spot router provides DHCP services.

Last edited:
Before I hard wired Ethernet to our boxes I bought a long (20m) cat 5 patch cable to get a reliable connecting for testing, etc, without having to move the box.

I got a bright pink one so it was visible when trailing round the house being a trip hazard :)

It will, you just have to set it up the right way. It's called an "ad hoc" connection (or at least it is if you create a point-to-point WiFi link). What OS? In general, it is a lot easier to set up the HDR-FOX to suit the PC than vice versa.

I'm running Windows 10. I've successfully set up an ad hoc connection by following a guide, I still can't connect to the Humax so I'm obviously missing something. Is there a guide on here to help with this? I've searched the forum but unfortunately can't find anything.

but it's only been happening since I've had the Humax so it must be the culprit.
Switch of the mains to the Humax. That will conclusively prove it one way or the other without having to move it close to the router or set up an ad. hoc. network.

I'm running Windows 10. I've successfully set up an ad hoc connection by following a guide, I still can't connect to the Humax so I'm obviously missing something. Is there a guide on here to help with this? I've searched the forum but unfortunately can't find anything.
I don't know whether anything needs to be done to enable the Ethernet port under Win10, but what I would do (and I can't test this at the moment) is type "ipconfig" on the command line to get the PC's IP address and subnet mask, then configure the HDR-FOXes LAN settings (Menu >> Settings >> System >> Internet Setting >> Configure LAN) to manual, same subnet mask, and a different IP address (the first three digit groups have to be the same, the fourth one needs to be different but not 0 or 255).

That done, test it from the command line by "ping <IP address>".

Switch of the mains to the Humax. That will conclusively prove it one way or the other without having to move it close to the router or set up an ad. hoc. network.

The only difference in the setup since the issue has started occuring is the introduction of the Humax. It 100% is the cause of the issue. I'm at the point where I'm just going to have to turn the TV off at the mains when it isn't in use.

I don't know whether anything needs to be done to enable the Ethernet port under Win10, but what I would do (and I can't test this at the moment) is type "ipconfig" on the command line to get the PC's IP address and subnet mask, then configure the HDR-FOXes LAN settings (Menu >> Settings >> System >> Internet Setting >> Configure LAN) to manual, same subnet mask, and a different IP address (the first three digit groups have to be the same, the fourth one needs to be different but not 0 or 255).

That done, test it from the command line by "ping <IP address>".

Unable to ping, 'destination host unreachable'.

Don't worry about it, I'll have to start switching the TV off at the mains when not in use.
Thanks for your help.

The only difference in the setup since the issue has started occuring is the introduction of the Humax. It 100% is the cause of the issue. I'm at the point where I'm just going to have to turn the TV off at the mains when it isn't in use.
But it is not a problem that has been reported by anyone else,

Does the TV turn on if you turn the humax on using the remote control?
Does the TV have any options for turning off wake on CEC signal?
What brand and model of TV (incase others have same model)?
Any HDMI switches or other complexities in setup

Last edited:
If your guide was something like this, your Windows machine should be providing a WiFi hot-spot and you should be able to connect to it using the usual Menu>Settings>System>Internet Setting>Configure Wi-Fi on the Humax.

If you're connecting via cable, the best approach is to set up a separate 192.168.0.0/24 subnet for the LAN "cross-over" connection (actually no cross-over is required these days as modern Ethernet interfaces automatically detect a straight-through cable and apply a cross-over). On the "PC" set up a "manual" network with IP address 192.168.0.1, mask 255.255.255.0, gateway 192.168.0.1. On the connected device (HD/R) set up a "manual" network with IP address 192.168.0.2, with the same mask and gateway. Afterwards, set everything back, normally to DHCP auto-configuration.

Back