[tvdiary] TV Diary 0.0.3-5 update with Real Time Scheduling

I've pushed up a new release, tvdiary 0.0.4-3, which has longer timeouts (the index page was set to 2 seconds, now 20) and much less logging enabled. I also corrected the missing redring dependency.
Presumably TVDiary was intended for HDR models, but that dependency is unsatisfiable on HD models, where the package previously appeared to work (pre-2017) or failed silently (except in the log). This means that the Package Update list can show a bad update that can't easily be disabled, even if you have a working pre-2017 version.

Things start working in the latest version if the redring code is loaded in a catch, but I'm not sure what is being missed by not knowing the contents of /tmp/.offset if present. I can see there's at least one other place (TSR file location) where HDR is assumed (should be a method proc {system tsrfile} in system.class?).

As Webif doesn't make redring a dependency, I presume there's no easy or even quite difficult way to specify different dependencies per platform in a package. So if redring is optional or could be made so, it ought not to be forced; perhaps there could be text or a link to the package update page in the TVDiary web page in case it's running on HDR without redring?

With the following recording schedule on 15 March:

ITV Belgravia E1 21:00-22:00
BBC2 Trigonometry E1 22:00-22:45
C4+1HD Homeland S8E5 22:00-23:00
BBC2 MOTD2 22:30-23:00 (on EPG but not broadcast)
BBC2 Trigonometry E2 22:45-23:30

all 4 broadcast shows were recorded.

However TV Diary doesn't list Trigonometry E1. It looks like it didn't make it into the activities table.

With the following recording schedule on 15 March:

ITV Belgravia E1 21:00-22:00
BBC2 Trigonometry E1 22:00-22:45
C4+1HD Homeland S8E5 22:00-23:00
BBC2 MOTD2 22:30-23:00 (on EPG but not broadcast)
BBC2 Trigonometry E2 22:45-23:30

all 4 broadcast shows were recorded.

However TV Diary doesn't list Trigonometry E1. It looks like it didn't make it into the activities table.
It's hard to say. It may not be handling schedule adjustments well. I know it doesn't work right with custom recordings (channel & time vs from the EPG).

Hi.

I have just installed TV Diary as recommended in this thread.

What is the purpose of the Start of the TV day: setting?

Presumably, setting it to 08:00 will ignore films and TV broadcast after midnight til 8am?

My guess, for what it's worth, is to decide where one day ends and the next begins. If, for example, you stay up watching TV until 4am, then midnight to 4am should be considered part of the previous day rather than starting the new day at midnight.

When is the start of the TV day? The print version of Radio Times has it at 06:00 (and so do some on-line listings). The on-line Radio Times has it at 00:00. :frantic:

You've got it right. It's when the TV schedulers say today's TV starts, and that's usually breakfast TV at 6am.
Since writing this I've moved on to working on HR software and having to worry about when shift workers' days start. If I start work at 11pm, is my 7 hours work today or tomorrow?

You've got it right. It's when the TV schedulers say today's TV starts, and that's usually breakfast TV at 6am.
Probably from when the transmitters actually closed down during the night and then started up again sometime the same morning. Then breakfast TV came along so it probably made sense to start the day then.
If I start work at 11pm, is my 7 hours work today or tomorrow?
My guess, and it is only a guess, is that whenever you start that is today. Your shift starts at 23:55 on Thursday - it's Thursday. Your shift starts 00:05 Friday - it's probably Friday. Yes, you've got a point - it doesn't make sense! (I may need to borrow Trev's headache pills!)

In the Monthly Summaries section, there is a Programmes table with the headings:-
#TitleChannel# Recorded# Played# Live# BarelyScheduledRecordedPlayedLive

What does the # Barely column indicate?

Since writing this I've moved on to working on HR software and having to worry about when shift workers' days start. If I start work at 11pm, is my 7 hours work today or tomorrow?
Should a software contractor have to worry about things like that? It should be defined or clarified by the commissioning client (unless you are also the commissioning client of course). So many problems are caused by engineers who guess what the requirement is rather than asking (and sometimes don't even realise they are guessing).

In the Monthly Summaries section, there is a Programmes table with the headings:-
#TitleChannel# Recorded# Played# Live# BarelyScheduledRecordedPlayedLive

What does the # Barely column indicate?
I can't remember whether I finished implementing that completely. It was meant to tie in with the radar view showing the minutes of the programme, and whether you watched it or paused at it.
I wanted to take account of fast forwarding through any bits of a programme when Eamon Holmes opened his mouth! That would be barely watched!
1601632005640.png

I was trying to move towards a recommendation feature. Look for programmes you regularly watched a lot, and suggest when they re-enter the schedule. But ignore programmes you barely watch.
But we don't have enough metadata in the EPG for what I was after, and not enough horsepower.

Oh, so you are going to have to deal with how many hours you get paid for working through a daylight savings change at 2am ... :frantic:
My memories of doing on-call were that the person signing off the overtime sheet generally didn't know the rules.

I was lucky with the company I worked for. A 12 hour Saturday night shift paid for 12 hours when the clocks went forward and 13 hours when they went back.

Back