Unable to access HDR - FOX T2

skind56

I'm unable to access my machine from my PC, via the Customised Firmware, as I was, before today.
I've changed Powerline adapters and rj45 cable and moved it downstairs to a different location all without success.
Above the rj45 input, on the T2, there are 2 lights. As you view it from behind the left light is lit up green and the right light flashes amber every 5 seconds or is off most of the time.

Pinging gives me this:

Pinging 192.168.1.4 with 32 bytes of data:
Reply from 192.168.1.1: Destination host unreachable.

Ping statistics for 192.168.1.4:
Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),

Grateful for any help, thanks.

The obvious thing to start with is Menu >> Settings >> System >> Internet Setting >> IP Address to make sure it's at the location you expect!!!

Yes, checked that. It's set to manual IP address of 192.168.1.4.

Another issue is that the Powerline adapter 'Data' light does not come on, which I think means no data is passing thru.

I forgot to try plugging the rj45 cable into my router and so tried this just now. Now it says 'Network disconnected' which is different to before, when it displayed 'Network connected' (even though my router displayed 'Not connected').
I've given up for tonight and will try again tomorrow.

I'm unable to access my machine from my PC, via the Customised Firmware, as I was, before today.
I've changed Powerline adapters and rj45 cable and moved it downstairs to a different location all without success.
Above the rj45 input, on the T2, there are 2 lights. As you view it from behind the left light is lit up green and the right light flashes amber every 5 seconds or is off most of the time.

Pinging gives me this:

Pinging 192.168.1.4 with 32 bytes of data:

Ping statistics for 192.168.1.4:
Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),

Grateful for any help, thanks.
That ping result looks odd.
So is the HDR 192.168.1.4 and the other one is your pc?
(You mention you can't access the HDR from your PC.)
So what are the IPs for you PC and router?
It's likely a network issue, so try getting it to work with auto/DHCP on the HDR with a cable directly attached to the router first. I.e try to get things working without the powerline. When you get the basic network working add the powerline back in.

Yes, checked that. It's set to manual IP address of 192.168.1.4.

Another issue is that the Powerline adapter 'Data' light does not come on, which I think means no data is passing thru.

I forgot to try plugging the rj45 cable into my router and so tried this just now. Now it says 'Network disconnected' which is different to before, when it displayed 'Network connected' (even though my router displayed 'Not connected').
I've given up for tonight and will try again tomorrow.

I would suggest changing it to DHCP, let it make the network connection, and that will fill in all the other fields. Then change it back to Manual, and set the address again. It sounds to me like it cannot find the translation server.

Hi,
I tried a long cable to my router last night but it did not work (I mentioned this in my 2nd post). This morning I tried a different, long, cable, to my router, and hey presto it worked, so the Humax is fine, yipee.

I then tried various different scenario's, then checked the Data light on the 'BT Mini Connector', that is directly connected to the router, and found it was off. I reset it and now get connection via another 'BT Mini Connector'. However my older 'BT Flex 500' will not connect so there may be a problem with it.

I would suggest changing it to DHCP, let it make the network connection, and that will fill in all the other fields. Then change it back to Manual, and set the address again. It sounds to me like it cannot find the translation server.
Yes, I tried this too because I must have accidentally reset my IP address (in my recent attempts) so changed it back to 192.168.1.4. This could well have been a problem. Sometimes in trying to fix one thing you knock something else out!!

That ping result looks odd.
So is the HDR 192.168.1.4 and the other one is your pc?
(You mention you can't access the HDR from your PC.)
So what are the IPs for you PC and router?
It's likely a network issue, so try getting it to work with auto/DHCP on the HDR with a cable directly attached to the router first. I.e try to get things working without the powerline. When you get the basic network working add the powerline back in.
Yes it looked odd to me too. Yes the HDR is 192.168.1.4 and my PC is 192.168.1.1 which I found confusing where it said 'Reply from 192.168.1.1: Destination host unreachable.' as I would have expected that to be 192.168.1.4 and, in fact, now that I have it working it displays properly.
And yes, a network issue with my BT Connectors.

Yes it looked odd to me too. Yes the HDR is 192.168.1.4 and my PC is 192.168.1.1 which I found confusing where it said 'Reply from 192.168.1.1: Destination host unreachable.' as I would have expected that to be 192.168.1.4
I think the software considers itself (is written so) that it acts as a third party standing to one side. So when the source (1.1) pings the destination (1.4) and gets a sensible answer the software labels the result as a reply from the destination, 1.4, rather than being more lengthy and saying "Reply from source 1.1 that it has reached destination 1.4".
When the source doesn't get an answer it tells the software which then labels this as a reply from the source, 1.1. It can't really refer to 1.4 at that point since it doesn't know if it exists without a reply from it.

Edit. Just been reading the Wikipedia on ping. Of course there may well be intermediate switches, etc, between source and destination, so the unreachable message will probably be from the last one in the chain before it breaks. That address is useful.

Last edited:
There wasn't any DNS involved. Just IP addresses.
But my understanding is that all four fields need to have correct addresses in them for the hummy to send at all. That is why i suggested going to DHCP to get the three fields correctly filled in then going back to manual to enter the desired device IP address.

But my understanding is that all four fields need to have correct addresses in them for the hummy to send at all.
Your understanding is flawed.
It depends where you are sending to. Only the IP address and subnet mask need to be correct for communication on the LAN, especially if just responding to a Ping from elsewhere, and even then the subnet mask can be wrong in lots of ways before it stops working - it depends on all the numbers.
Obviously if you are using names then the DNS needs to be valid at the point of lookup, but if just using addresses then it's irrelevant.
As usual, people never quote the full details of their IP setup in problem reports, which leads to speculation/inference/educated guesswork on the part of the reader.
Of course there may well be intermediate switches, etc, between source and destination, so the unreachable message will probably be from the last one in the chain before it breaks
Switches don't generate such messages. Switches just work on MAC addresses.

Switches don't generate such messages. Switches just work on MAC addresses.
How does a switch, or router, know where packets are meant to go from a MAC address? I thought the whole thing with IP addresses was to make them agnostic in the wider internet.
It's been a while but I'm sure there are utilities that list the chain of devices a packet has passed through, or not been able to reach, using IP addresses, not MAC.

How does a switch, or router, know where packets are meant to go from a MAC address?
A switch doesn't, until it learns. It floods frames out of all ports (apart from the ingress port, like a hub) until it's learnt which MAC addresses are attached to which ports (by them sending something somewhere), then it only sends further traffic to the correct port to save bothering everything else with unwanted traffic.
It's been a while but I'm sure there are utilities that list the chain of devices a packet has passed through, or not been able to reach, using IP addresses, not MAC
Presumably you're thinking of traceroute or tracert or similar. That's shows the path between routers. Routers operate at layer 3, typically using IP (V4 or V6). Switches operate at layer 2 (typically ethernet).

A router makes route decisions based on IP addresses, subnet masks, gateways, routing tables etc. but is still dependant on lower layer MAC to actually send the packet to the right place.

traceroute or tracert
That's the one. I think we used it for fault finding as the industrial control systems we built had duplicate networks (for redundancy) with two cards/ports on each PC/controller. If wires got crossed (literally) it was a devil to work out where the problem was.

Back