Unable to access web interface after CF install

I know this post goes back a quite a while, but this problem has just occurred with my Hummy. In fact it's the second time, the first was when the network was left on over night and I assume it went online, pulled down an update and overwrote the CFW. This time however I pretty sure that couldn't have happened, (ethernet switch powered down at night). As a Mac user all this 'Telnet stuff' is new to me, in normal circumstances we never need to go anywhere near command line. Anyway I've gone a little ways into Telnet and tried to reinstall Webif, but it didn't seem to do anything. I've tried the factory defaults reset and installed the latest CFW, but no change. Am I correct in thinking that if I apply the RMA command via Telnet, this will remove all traces of CFW and then install OFW via a USB stick, and then reapply CFW in the usual way, this may get me back in business again.
Thanks in anticipation,

Machead

Machead: The Humax does not update its firmware by Internet connection. It may have updated from the TV aerial in the past, but there has not been one of those recently. For information about this, see Things Every... (click) section 1, and Preventing External Events from Disturbing the CF (click).

If the firmware had been overwritten by an update, you would no longer have access to a Telnet menu or command line - so that's not it. It is possible that your hard drive has gone faulty, particularly read-only (as it can from time to time), so my first thought (assuming you do have the Telnet menu) is to run a disk check from the Maintenance Mode menu. It would be best to install the latest CF for this, and there is no need to install anything else first.

Machead: The Humax does not update its firmware by Internet connection. It may have updated from the TV aerial in the past, but there has not been one of those recently. For information about this, see section 1, and

If the firmware had been overwritten by an update, you would no longer have access to a Telnet menu or command line - so that's not it. It is possible that your hard drive has gone faulty, particularly read-only (as it can from time to time), so my first thought (assuming you do have the Telnet menu) is to run a disk check from the Maintenance Mode menu. It would be best to install the latest CF for this, and there is no need to install anything else first.

Thanks for the reply guys! Have run short hard-disk self test: Response was this take 1 minute! Am I supposed to get test results back via Telnet? I just got the 'press return to continue' promt. And nothing after that. Am now running the long self test, this one's going to take 110 minutes ! Will watch and see if anything comes back from this.

p.s. Had to delete active links from your reply in order to post my reply!!

Update:

Probably should have saved output from long selftest, but didn't! No problems or errors reported that I could interpret anyway, but still no web interface. Next went into maintenance mode and ran a fix-disc. In 2 sectors it reported that it was fixing something or other, can't remember now exactly what, after completion, rebooted and still no connection. What I have noticed however is that the PVR no longer starts up on BBC Red button, it's starting up on last channel viewed, so that part of cfw is not working either.

Last edited:
Recently ran fix disk due to issues with recording and intermittent freezing on playback with channel scrambled or unavailable message. It took 24 hrs to run and at one stage there was a message on the telnet display about changing the file journal from EXT 3 to EXT 2. I have seen this posted by another contributor but they also mentioned that the reverse took place later as fix disk ran which I don't think happened in my case. After the run finished, the system was rebooted and I put it into standby and haven't used it until today. On power up everything ran normally and I know that the HDD was working. When checking recordings, processing flashed on the screen but the files were not visible. The HDD icon showed 153 GB free. Before the fix disk run the free space was around 173gb.There was also a message during the fix disk run about certain packages loaded with the web interface were disabled. When I entered the web interface I had a message to say that the custom firmware was loaded successfully but I had to download the full web interface again. Although they downloaded they couldn't be loaded to the hard disk as it wasn't recognised. I have reinstalled the custom firmware 3.13 and tried to look for the recordings but got the same result as before. The display shows video and I can see the HDD icon showing 153 GB free but the recordings are not listed. I know the HDD is working so I will try to download the web interface again but before I do I wondered if anyone had other ideas as to how to access the recording files. Presumably the change from EXT 3 to EXT 2 might be the issue?

I know the HDD is working
You do? Why? Just because it is giving an appearance of being working to the uneducated/inexperienced DOES NOT MEAN everything is tickety boo. The symptoms you have described suggest otherwise.

I heard the hdd spin up and it was possible to use the time shift function on a channel. This would not be possible if the hdd was not functioning,?

That does not mean all the file systems are intact. The TSR is on a different partition from Media.

Frank has started his own thread with exactly the same question HERE. Please no more replies to Frank's problem here, otherwise it's going to be a bugger's muddle trying to sort out the answers.

Back