Unable to connect external drive

Squarebluebox

I have bought a Bipra USB 2, FAT 32 external hard drive for archiving, but when I connect to my Foxsat-HDR it doesn't appear on screen. The drive lights up and whirs, but I can't seem to access it via the Media guide. I've been to File Manager, selected the right hand column, but pressing opt+ just brings up a'no entry' symbol. Am I missing something fundamental? Where should the drive show up when I first connect it?

I've had the PVR for three years but never used the USB connection. Previously memory sticks wouldn't show up either, but I presumed that was due to their being the wrong format.

Grateful for any advice.

Update: now sorted; I discovered the USB port round the back, which to my relief does recognise the drive. I wonder why the front one doesn't.

Update: now sorted; I discovered the USB port round the back, which to my relief does recognise the drive. I wonder why the front one doesn't.

If it's a fairly new box, I would get it replaced.

Having said that, I had a 1Gb drive that was not recognized by my box. I never tried it round the back, though. I eventually threw it away as I have plenty more drives that do work.

Back