Unable to edit channels or access installation from HDR

R7814N

I can access the Humax via the web interface and have run some of the diags including resetnew. None have made any difference.
What should I do to be able to edit channels or access installation from the Humax menu? At present they are both greyed out.

It seems I had a crash, according to an error message, but I do not know what to do about it. The crash log simply says it has crashed twice 3 July and 18 July.

System info:
Web interface version: 1.3.1-1
Custom firmware version: 3.10 (build 2734)
Humax Version: 1.03.12 (kernel HDR_CFW_3.10)
Loader Version: a7.33
System ID: 80bc.7e00

Last edited:
What should I do to be able to edit channels or access installation from the Humax menu? At present they are both greyed out.
They will be greyed out if the Humax is recording (or thinks it is recording). If it isn't recording then try putting the Humax into standby and wait until the hard drive stops spinning then turn off the power for 10 seconds. Hopefully when you power it up again the menus will not be greyed out.
It seems I had a crash, according to an error message, but I do not know what to do about it.
From the diagnostics pane use the drop down list captioned Select diag to select the fix-flash-packages and then click on run diagnostic.

I have run the fix-flash-packages. There was just this one problem:

Collected errors:
* file_md5sum_alloc: Failed to
open file /mod/webif/html/favicon.ico: No such file or directory.

Unable to edit channels or access installation from HDR

I tried the standby idea but the entries are still greyed out. Is there a log you would like me to post?

I tried the standby idea but the entries are still greyed out. Is there a log you would like me to post?
Did you power-off after the hard drive had stopped spinning in stand-by?
The aim was to power-off i.e. cut the electricity supply. The stand-by bit was just to reduce the risk of damage to the HDD by a sudden power-off.

Did you power-off after the hard drive had stopped spinning in stand-by?
The aim was to power-off i.e. cut the electricity supply. The stand-by bit was just to reduce the risk of damage to the HDD by a sudden power-off.
The power off worked and brought back the faded out entries, together with some recordings that I thought I had deleted!

At posting 3 above I referred to the md5sum fault. Is the fault something to be concerned about?

The power off worked and brought back the faded out entries, together with some recordings that I thought I had deleted!
The recordings reappearing is slightly worrying. I would try connecting to the box via telnet and running fix-disk to check everything is OK with the hard drive and file system.

Thanks all for helping me get over the problem raised in my initial question.

I am not used to telneting, but am thinking about how to do it from within Ubuntu linux to the HDR-fox T2 as as separate device on the network. At the moment I am unclear. It is a pity that the utility is not built into the web interface of the HDR

In order to run disk maintenance the disk has to be taken off-line in what we call Maintenance Mode. Therefore the utilities used have to fit in the limited spare capacity of the Flash storage available in the HDR-FOX, with the Humax firmware already resident. Providing a command console via Telnet is the optimum solution - a Telnet client is freely available for most (if not all) computer and operating systems, and it should be in the toolbox of anyone with more than a passing interest in IT systems.

You should have no problem getting a Telnet command line from Linux, just google "telnet linux" and many tutorials are listed. Instructions for using it to run disk maintenance are in our wiki or Quick Guide to Disk Recovery (click).

When the WebIF is on line, the command line is accessible via the diagnostics page with the webshell package installed, but as I said that's no use when working on the disk itself.

I am not used to telneting, but am thinking about how to do it from within Ubuntu linux to the HDR-fox T2 as as separate device on the network. At the moment I am unclear.
It's one of the easiest, almost trivial, things to achieve. Surely you know how to open a Terminal if you are running any Linux?
You just type e.g. telnet 192.168.0.1
replacing 192.168.0.1 with the actual IP address of your HDR. What could be simpler really?

When the WebIF is on line, the command line is accessible via the diagnostics page with the webshell package installed, but as I said that's no use when working on the disk itself.
webshell does actually work well in maintenance mode, but it has to be installed while the disk is working.

Okay, I'll bite: how do you access webshell once the system is booted into maintenance mode?

Ah! Belay that. Maybe the web page that appears shouldn't have a button marked "exit maintenance mode" on it when webshell is installed - when I clicked it I got the terminal screen. Nice!

Oh!

I have just tried to repeat my previous observation, and now accessing the IP address while the system is in maintenance mode goes straight into Webshell. I don't understand. Last time, I saw a web page saying the system is in maintenance mode with a button to reboot into normal mode.

I'll update my info to say that users with webshell already installed can use that as an alternative to Telnet.

webshell does actually work well in maintenance mode, but it has to be installed while the disk is working.
But more to the point, if the WebIF isn't accessible, Telnet is required to access Maintenance Mode in the first place.

BTW: the tmenu illustrations in the wiki entry for Maintenance Mode are out of date.

I have just tried to repeat my previous observation, and now accessing the IP address while the system is in maintenance mode goes straight into Webshell. I don't understand. Last time, I saw a web page saying the system is in maintenance mode with a button to reboot into normal mode.
Okay, it is a matter of timing. If you access the IP address too early after booting into Maintenance Mode, you get the aforementioned web page.

Last edited:
Okay, it is a matter of timing. If you access the IP address to early after booting into Maintenance Mode, you get the aforementioned web page.
A page refresh (rather than the counter-intuitive clicking on leave maintenance mode) should bring up webshell in that case.

Back