Unable to pause live tv

The Foxsat-HDR is ideal for splitting a LNB cable in this way. Unlike the G2 boxes it has a third lnb1 out terminal. Mine connects to one of the freesat tuners in my TV. With box in low power sby all channels are usable on the TV. When the Foxsat is on or recording in sby, only channels in the same band (high/low) and the same polarisation (horizontal/vertical) as the channel tuner 1 in the Foxsat is using. As there are very few high band channels you get very close to 50% of the channels. You can do the same with a splitter but it needs to only pass DC power on one output port and that output has to go to the G2 Freesat tuner 1 in socket. Aternatively run the G2 box in single cable mode (Disconnect the 2nd lnb in and do a freesat retune, this will connect both tuners to a single cable) . You can then use the second cable for the TV.

I had an additional problem (didn't want to overload my original query) whereby my single LNB, split to my Freesat TV and the Humax was showing a bad signal to either one or the other depending on which aerial was in which socket.
What the others are saying is that you can't split a satellite aerial feed in the simple way you might split a terrestrial TV UHF aerial signal. For a satellite TV system, there is two-way signalling (the receiver sends up a signal telling the LNB what it wants, and the LNB sends back the result of that request). If you want one LNB to feed multiple receivers, special arrangements are needed to ensure the LNB isn't being sent conflicting commands. At best, you will confuse the LNB. At worst, you could damage the LNB and/or the receivers.

For more info, see Glossary (click), section "LNB".

Last edited:
Thanks for that GLT. Has the HDR 1100s got the same facilities as the Foxsat WRT an LNB output?
I was just pointing out the best way of doing it. The OP says he has only a single O/P LNB, so I still maintain that a new quad (or more) LNB with suitable feeder cabling would be his best option as no doubt the 1100s needs two LNB connections and his TV one or two.

Thanks for that GLT. Has the HDR 1100s got the same facilities as the Foxsat WRT an LNB output?
I was just pointing out the best way of doing it. The OP says he has only a single O/P LNB, so I still maintain that a new quad (or more) LNB with suitable feeder cabling would be his best option as no doubt the 1100s needs two LNB connections and his TV one or two.

HDR-1100S has only two sockets (tuner 1 in and tuner 2 in). Single cable working is enabled automatically using an internal link when a single cable is detected on setup and on the latest firmware when a freesat tune is actioned. On the Foxsat-hdr you have to create a short patch cable lnb1 out to lnb2 in to get both tuners working on a single cable. I agree about a quad lnb, they are as cheap as chips on e-bay.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/4WAY-SKY-...431984?hash=item5433a0d830:g:3CwAAOSwaNBUhi4A

I agree about a quad lnb, they are as cheap as chips on e-bay.
But that's only a fraction of the total for most people. The lnb will need fitting and aligning. Extra cabling is needed - to buy and install, and if they have to be buried in a wall you can be into redecorating. If you need to hire professionals for any or all of that you'll be lucky if that lnb is as much as 5% of the total.

Does anyone make a Wi-Fi lnb-stb system? (Actually, I think we had a discussion along those lines for terrestrial TV a while back.)

But that's only a fraction of the total for most people. The lnb will need fitting and aligning. Extra cabling is needed - to buy and install, and if they have to be buried in a wall you can be into redecorating. If you need to hire professionals for any or all of that you'll be lucky if that lnb is as much as 5% of the total.

Does anyone make a Wi-Fi lnb-stb system? (Actually, I think we had a discussion along those lines for terrestrial TV a while back.)

The dish will not need re-aligning other than possibly a tiny correction for the extra weight of the lnb and cabling. Much depends on the dish location, mines only 6ft off the ground so it's dead easy. You can fit twin WF65 shotgun cable in a hole used for 100 grade cable, just using the old cable to pull the twin cable in. You can buy the dish lnb and cable in a kit.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2017-Sky-...606632&hash=item1e94572008:g:S6YAAOSwzOxUVN5I

That makes the lnb 39% of the cost.

http://www.inverto.tv/lnb/140/8-channel-satip-lnb-with-poe-adapter. You would need a round type dish for any special lnb's (one that looks round from the lnb offset location).

It's also likely that, as a single LNB is fitted, it's an old dish and will likely need an adaptor to fit a new quad LNB. My dish is about 2ft off the ground, hidden behind bushes to keep HWMBO happy.:)

MikeSh. So are you suggesting that the best way forward for the OP is to stick with what he's got, or just PooPooing GLTs analysis of the situation? [rhet];)

Much depends on the dish location,
And also the owner's ability and willingness to undertake the work.
My point was simply that without knowing a lot more about the person and their particular situation it's not really possible to say that something will be cheap.

And also the owner's ability and willingness to undertake the work.
My point was simply that without knowing a lot more about the person and their particular situation it's not really possible to say that something will be cheap.

That is down to the OP. Would have been not very helpful to not mention the best way to properly fix the issue. It's a pretty simple DIY job, I have put up a few dishes for neighbours, and there is lot's of help available on this forum.

But I know someone who can't even put a nut onto a bolt without screwing it up (pun intended):roflmao: And fitting and aligning a dish would be far beyond his expertise as a chef.

Hi ajm600
Glad to hear that you have cured the time shift buffer problem I Do hope it stays ok for you now, but has Black Hole commented that it just might have reset that function so if it should return at a later date at least you have a hopefully quick solution, as regards to your other LNB problem that's way above my head, so will leave advice from the more technical team, me I just tinker about and come across solutions by accident. All the best Tarmac

Hi ajm600
Glad to hear that you have cured the time shift buffer problem I Do hope it stays ok for you now, but has Black Hole commented that it just might have reset that function so if it should return at a later date at least you have a hopefully quick solution, as regards to your other LNB problem that's way above my head, so will leave advice from the more technical team, me I just tinker about and come across solutions by accident. All the best Tarmac
I said "time will tell", and it has told. As I was afraid it would. The dreaded "time shift buffer" message is back, and even doing the recording>buffer trick which worked before does nothing. I shall probably have to resell the HDR 1000S on ebay and reinstall my old Sony freeview recorder.
Are there any other freesat hdr's out there other than humax? Or did I just buy a lemon, and the HDR 1000S is really OK so that another might work for me?
BTW this forum really shines. There are a lot of interested, and interesting, guys out there. I still don't have a solution to my problem tho.

Oh, and I live in a small apartment block. The satellite dish is shared and to introduce another cable would be a nightmare. Sigh......

I said "time will tell", and it has told. As I was afraid it would. The dreaded "time shift buffer" message is back, and even doing the recording>buffer trick which worked before does nothing. I shall probably have to resell the HDR 1000S on ebay and reinstall my old Sony freeview recorder.
Are there any other freesat hdr's out there other than humax? Or did I just buy a lemon, and the HDR 1000S is really OK so that another might work for me?
BTW this forum really shines. There are a lot of interested, and interesting, guys out there. I still don't have a solution to my problem tho.

Oh, and I live in a small apartment block. The satellite dish is shared and to introduce another cable would be a nightmare. Sigh......
My HDR-1000S is one of the original batch. It still works fine though it is on the second hard drive. I would simply change the HDD.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Seagate-ST...08678608&sr=8-1&keywords=seagate+pipeline+2tb

It's a simple 5 minute job to change the disk.

Humax make the only second generation boxes and the latest version all being near identical internally lack refinements like a front display.

The Humax boxes are the only ones that let you make use of both tuners to the max capability when using a single cable.

If you happen to have a balcony with a South-East view you might be able to add a small camping type dish to give the second tuner it's own lnb.

Last edited:
We have a 1010S which IIRC was bought 'graded' from Humax. It's been working fine for a couple of years for us, but it has two cables from the dish and we rarely watch live TV and even more rarely pause or rewind it. That's all I can offer :oops:

I did as you suggested and checked the settings. My recording buffer was OFF, I changed it to ON and hey Presto, it is the solution. Thanks. Tarmac.

Back