Unable to record

Shane Williams

Hi everyone
I'm stuck on my particular problem and hope that someone has had a similar issue and so can give me some advice.

I bought my HDR Fox T2 as an ex-display model over eBay and after some initial installation problems the unit was working fine and recording fine. Unfortunately, the house I rent has a booster system for the aerial (1 box in the attic, another downstairs connecting to the aerial socket), and the downstairs box started to fail; then while I was away on a business trip the booster box failed completely and obviously the Humax stopped working.
When I returned home, I took out the box, put in a standard aerial cable from socket to box, and used the Antenna Power from the Humax to restore most of my TV channels (but not HD, and not recording function) until the box got replaced.
The booster box got replaced yesterday, and once the HUMAX was back up and running, I got my HD channels back but still no recording. I first ran a Factory default with a HDD format; with no improvement. I then ran a factory default on its own; agai with no improvement (but I did gain some more channels.
This morning, after investigating some entries on this forum that suggested it might be stuck in a 'delete loop' (although I have no 'deleting' message displayed anywhere; I tried installing custom firmware 1.01.09, but the box would not accept the file upon starting. Therefore, I am currently out of ideas on how to get my drive back.
As the box is ex-display, there is no warranty currently on it either from the manufacturer or the seller. I inquired about a 2 year SquareTrade warranty, but this will not activate until 45 days after purchase. My current software version is FHTCP 1.03.12.
Essentially what I'm asking is can I recover the internal hard drive or has it become corrupt? Clicking the media button on my remote has no effect, while the Data Storage and recording menus are greyed out. If I go to either Photo or Music, the top right of the screen displays HDD/Free Storage/Not available.
At the suggestion of these forums. I've also tried to set up the box for the custom firmware to run diagnostics, but the box is not recognising there is a software file on the usb drive I'm using, so the box will not update the software. Help here would also be appreciated
Any help offered would be greatly appreciated.
Kind regards

If you are having issues with the USB update file being recognised, make sure the USB stick is formatted in FAT32: do a full format if necessary, and plug it in to one of the USB ports directly. Some USB extension leads and hubs cause problems.

Just to confirm, you are using a USB flash memory stick, not a hard drive. The file 'hdr_fox_t2_upgrade.hdf' is on the root of the drive, and the USB stick is in place before you switch the Humax on?

...and used the Antenna Power from the Humax
That does not sound appropriate. Antenna power puts a voltage onto the incoming aerial lead to supply compatible masthead amplifiers, and should not be used in any situation where you are not certain that is the right thing to do. It has the potential to short-circuit through the antenna, or damage an incompatible amplifier.

I first ran a Factory default with a HDD format; with no improvement.
What happened on-screen during this process? Anything to suggest the process was successful? If the record options are unavailable, it suggests the HDD is either completely unreachable or the file system has gone read-only, and a factory reformat should have restored it or reported failure.

I've also tried to set up the box for the custom firmware to run diagnostics, but the box is not recognising there is a software file on the usb drive I'm using
The file MUST be named the right thing (which it will be when you unzip a suitable download), the drive MUST be FAT32 (not formatted in Windows), and must be present in the USB socket at boot time. If the HDR-FOX does not boot into the firmware update process straight away you just have to try another drive (you write as if you are using a USB HDD rather than a UPD - I'm not sure an HDD will do).

What happened on-screen during this process? Anything to suggest the process was successful? If the record options are unavailable, it suggests the HDD is either completely unreachable or the file system has gone read-only, and a factory reformat should have restored it or reported failure.

During this process, the screen had a dialog box saying 'Processing' with a counter clockwise spinning icon. Then some hours later the box came back online with no discernible changes.

The file MUST be named the right thing (which it will be when you unzip a suitable download), the drive MUST be FAT32 (not formatted in Windows), and must be present in the USB socket at boot time. If the HDR-FOX does not boot into the firmware update process straight away you just have to try another drive (you write as if you are using a USB HDD rather than a UPD - I'm not sure an HDD will do).

The file is named correctly, the drive I'm sure is originally FAT32 and is present in boot time. I do not have another drive to test it with at present. I just tried it again and the box loaded and switched on without installing the software upgrade.

Back