peterworks

Ye Olde Bowler
When trying to remove I get the following:
>>> opkg remove ir
No packages removed.
Collected errors:
* print_dependents_warning: Package ir is depended upon by packages:
* print_dependents_warning: chaseget
* print_dependents_warning: These might cease to work if package ir is removed.

* print_dependents_warning: Force removal of this package with --force-depends.
* print_dependents_warning: Force removal of this package and its dependents
* print_dependents_warning: with --force-removal-of-dependent-packages.

and, although greyed out, it is still there. When looking in Package Management it is still installed.

Any advice please

As the message says, the chaseget package is dependent on ir so ir can't be removed unless you uninstall chaseget first. chaseget is required by detectads.

MymsMan - I don't think requiring ir is something that chaseget should do - rather just take advantage of it if it happens to be installed (using if {[system pkginst ir]} for example)

As the message says, the chaseget package is dependent on ir so ir can't be removed unless you uninstall chaseget first. chaseget is required by detectads.

MymsMan - I don't think requiring ir is something that chaseget should do - rather just take advantage of it if it happens to be installed (using if {[system pkginst ir]} for example)
Thanks af123
I removed detectads then chaseget then ir and all okay (ir disappeared). I then installed detectads and, as you say, ir reappeared. Not a problem but would be nice to remove (for my slightly OCD mind).

Well chaseget uses ir to fully wake up the machine so that the DLNA server comes on-line for the near real-time decryption etc. That's why the dependency is there.

I disagree that IR can be an optional extra to the chaseget package, without the ability to ensure the DLNA server is active then chaseget is useless for scheduled recordings which would normally run unattended in half awake mode.

What I could do is make chaseget an optional component of detectads and only require it (and ir) be installed when the 'Detect while recording' option is selected.
However, Pterworks, I would like to understand why you object to the installation of the ir package before I make changes that would inconvenience the majority (I think) of users who have no problem with the ir package

Hi MymsMan
Please understand that I have no objection at all to the installation of the ir package. I installed it a few months ago but found that I was not using it. I therefore decided to tidy up the WebIf and so tried to remove it. That is why I raised the question in case there was a problem.
Thanks to the replies to this thread I now comprehend its role and, as I use detectads, will happily leave it installed.

Back