Resolved Unable to reply to thread

Not any more but at one time on Digital Spy the creation process use to strip out some of the redundant control characters AFTER it had done the validation. This use to mean that you could get around some of the validation without leaving a tell tail trace.

I can't see why there should be a restriction in text in a forum post - it's not like anything will be looking for executable commands. Perhaps parties with Xenforo knowledge could look into it and see if it's a hard-coded restriction or something in the configuration for this forum in particular, or maybe imposed by the web host.
Looking at the response, it appears to be generated by Xenforo rather than anywhere else. What's more, another Xenforo forum I use does not reject "cmd.exe" as a string in post text. However, it is using a previous version of Xenforo ('cos I get no rich text editing from iOS, like we used to here).

My (not very well informed) opinion is that there is a list of banned strings somewhere in the admin control panel that is responsible for these inconveniences. Are you listening, Michael?

Hey,

I can't find any options within the ACP. I've submitted a ticket to XenForo. Can you create a new thread with these phrases in or does that error also?

Thanks,

Michael

No. You can't post or PM anything containing "cmd.exe" or anything similarly forbidden (presumably because it looks like some kind of attack). Note my comments about this not occurring in older versions of Xenforo.

It's actually a mod_security issue on Apache. We moved to a new server on the weekend hence why it's probably only just came up. Apparently I can ask for whitelisting. I'll see what I can do.

Back