Unable to restore schedule backup from webif

sihy1

Using:

Web interface version: 1.0.15-9
Custom firmware version: 2.20 (build 1878)
Humax Version: 1.02.32 (kernel HDR_1.02.28)

After a channel re-tune I can't restore the scheduled recordings. When I use webif no error is given ( I can't see any report at all), and nothing appears in the 'Schedule' page.

I've tried re-booting, adding a recording etc. no joy.

Neither restores from auto-backup or manual backup work, although the backups seem to be made OK, and when the backup files are 'viewed' the scheduled recordings are listed correctly.

On every boot I notice in modinit.log that mongoose fails to start (in the mongoose error log it says: "cannot bind to 80". I can start mongoose from the cli tho with 'service start' and it seems to start OK (just reports 'Done'). Restoring a backup after starting mongoose also fails in the same way.

Any ideas?

You should not be using mongoose any more, it has been replaced by lighttpd in WebIF updates. I don't know about your schedule restore problem though.

Black Hole, thanks for your reply.

I'm not (personally) using mongoose, it just happens to be part of the default setup. I mentioned the error because I thought it might be relevant - I have no idea if it is or not.

Best regards,
Simon

I would try updating your custom firmware. If you are not ready for/ don't want 1.03.12/ CFW 3.00 you could install 1.02.32/ CFW 2.23. Then in Web-If>package management, I would update the package list and then ensure all your packages are the latest versions.

I would try updating your custom firmware. If you are not ready for/ don't want 1.03.12/ CFW 3.00 you could install 1.02.32/ CFW 2.23.

Thanks for the tip - I had looked at updating CFW, but decided I needed to spend time looking more deeply into v3 first (which I don't have right now). 2.23 might be a viable option, I'll take a look.

Simon

Thanks to MontysEvilTwin and Black Hole for your help.

I've managed to get it to work - by using a different web browser! (firmware was not updated).

I've always had this problem previously and always used an iPad to interact with WebIF. Trying to get to the bottom of it today however, I fired up a PC to use telnet etc., and have just tried a restore from the PC - it worked.

For anyone else with a similar issue, try using a different web browser and/or a different machine to access WebIF.

Best regards,
Simon

sihy1 : I can start mongoose from the cli tho with 'service start' and it seems to start OK (just reports 'Done').
The point is that you shouldn't be running mongoose if lighttpd is doing the Web sever function

Thank you for making that clearer. Any idea how I can stop mongoose from starting, or better still, get rid of it?

Simon

Actually, that's probably the wrong question. I should be asking is it safe to remove mongoose i.e. are any common CFW packages dependent on it, and assuming not (i.e. only WebIF uses it and it is left over from previous versions), can you guide me on how to uninstall it?

Best regards,
Simon

If you have a version of the Web-If package installed that is using lighttpd in place of mongoose, it will also disable mongoose from auto-starting, so although mongoose is still installed it shouldn't be a problem as it won't be running

If you have a version of the Web-If package installed that is using lighttpd in place of mongoose, it will also diable mongoose from auto-starting, so although mongoose is still installed it shouldn't be a problem as it won't be running

Thanks Ezra.

Looking a the logs tho, it would appear mongoose attempts to start and fails, perhaps because lighttpd is all ready running?

Is there anyway I can modify a configuration file to prevent mongoose auto starting?

Can you Telnet into your Humax and post the result of service, e.g. :-
Code:
humax# service

Name                 Installed  Autostart  Running
----                 ---------  ---------  -------
mediatomb            No         No         No
dropbear             No         No         No
transmission         Yes        No         No
samba                No         No         No
nfs                  No         No         No
cifs                 No         No         No
mongoose             Yes        No         No
betaftpd             Yes        Yes        Yes

Syntax:
        service start <service>
        service stop <service>
        service auto <service>          (toggles autostart)

You should have a 'No' against auto start - mongoose

Can you Telnet into your Humax and post the result of service, e.g. :-
Code:
humax# service

Name                Installed  Autostart  Running
----                ---------  ---------  -------
mediatomb            No        No        No
dropbear            No        No        No
transmission        Yes        No        No
samba                No        No        No
nfs                  No        No        No
cifs                No        No        No
mongoose            Yes        No        No
betaftpd            Yes        Yes        Yes

Syntax:
        service start <service>
        service stop <service>
        service auto <service>          (toggles autostart)

You should have a 'No' against auto start - mongoose

Thanks Ezra - I have 'Yes' for mongoose autostart.

I've now toggled it to 'No' using 'service auto mongoose'.

Best regards,
Simon

I should be asking is it safe to remove mongoose i.e. are any common CFW packages dependent on it, and assuming not (i.e. only WebIF uses it and it is left over from previous versions), can you guide me on how to uninstall it?
Current Webif is still dependent on Mongoose (I don't know why) so you can't remove it.

Back