Undelete not working

MikeSh

I replaced the HDD in one of the boxes a month or two ago. SWMBO had been running the old one so full that I removed Undelete since it was causing space problems.
The new disk is much bigger, so I reinstated Undelete, but it has never worked ... properly.
Occasionally a deleted film or something will appear in the [Deleted Items] folder but it seems random and is nothing like all of the stuff that should be in there.

I tried ffp a couple of weeks ago, and then changed a setting and saved it to see if that provoked a response, but nothing changed.
Yesterday I uninstalled the package, deleted the [Deleted Items] folder, then reinstalled the package. But it hasn't even recreated the [Deleted Items] folder.

I've done a search for Undelete but there's nothing I can see about this, though I seem to recall something like it being brought up in the past.
I'm guessing it needs a more aggressive reset, but I don't know how to do stuff beyond ffp, so "Help!"

It is possible that Undelete and other functions may have been disabled following a system crash.

Try running the fix-flash-packages diag from the diagnostics page to see if that helps.

Undelete will only catch deletes using the set user interface or webif, it will not catch delete from ftp or the command line.

They definitely won't.
OK. That's that solved then. A bit annoying, though it is rare to want stuff back and a lot is available on catch-up if desperate.

Is there a particular reason for this behaviour?
The box is obviously up, the CFW is running, and it manages to catch deletes done with the Humax UI, so where does undelete hook in?
I'm curious though I suspect the answer may be above my pay grade.

The box is obviously up, the CFW is running, and it manages to catch deletes done with the Humax UI, so where does undelete hook in?
In the case of the SUI or WebIF: the deletion is being conducted locally. By FTP or SMB/NFS: the remote device is acting directly on the file system - there is no opportunity to intercept and do something different.

By FTP or SMB/NFS: the remote device is acting directly on the file system
It most certainly is not. It acts via a daemon running on the local system.
there is no opportunity to intercept and do something different.
It could be done in a similar way to how the humaxtv binary is intercepted.

It most certainly is not. It acts via a daemon running on the local system.
Of course. Obviously everything is mediated by a bit of code somewhere, the question is whether that bit of code is under our control. It is hardly necessary to be that pedantic, I think I stated exactly what the OP needed to know.

It could be done in a similar way to how the humaxtv binary is intercepted.
Maybe, but is that desirable?

Back