undeleting channels

Having used the channeldel package to delete channels on boot how do I add some of them back in. I removed the channeldel package hoping to start over but it seemed to remember the previous settings when I re-installed it.
How do I keep those channels I had deleted?

Last edited:
On the Channel Delete settings page just use Delete key to remove the channels you want to restore from the left hand column (it is a simple text box), Save and reboot system

On the Channel Delete settings page just use Delete key to remove the channels you want to restore from the left hand column (it is a simple text box), Save and reboot system
I think you mean highlight (from computer) and delete via the keyboard. That works. I suppose I was expecting to be able to transfer the deleted channel back by an arrow in the reverse direction (much like Digiguide)
Thanks for the quick reply.

You can position the cursor in the box and type generic entries such as BBC * if you wanted to kill all the Beeb channels with a single entry

Removing the service name from the channeldel list doesn't restore it, all that does is stop channeldel removing it next time you tune it in. You still need to do a retune in order to restore the service.

Removing the service name from the channeldel list doesn't restore it, all that does is stop channeldel removing it next time you tune it in. You still need to do a retune in order to restore the service.
Yes that is correct as I have just discovered. I am suprised this information did not show up on my search, perhaps I was using the wrong search phrase.

http://hummy.tv/forum/threads/channeldel-automatically-delete-unwanted-channels.3641/ (see post 13)

The clue is to do a titles-only search for "[channeldel]".

You just need to understand the way things work. channeldel monitors the tuning database, and removes any services it finds that match the search criteria - permanently. It can't put them back.

In fact, having examined the subject in detail, I have been totally unsuccessful in adding a service to the tuning database - and I don't understand why.

What a revision to channeldel could do is to make a backup of the tuning database before service removal, and then offer the user the option to restore it (at reboot).

I have discovered the way of doing things partialy from this forum and with some experimentation. Having deleted the named channel I then retuned(manually) the required channel for my local transmitter. All the stations on that transmitter channel (55 in my case) were also added back in but "channeldel" just deleted them when I rebooted. I t seems a long winded approach but at least I am able to have that option with the Custom Firmware.
I hope someone doing a search to be able to do this will find the information contained within this set of postings.

I have been totally unsuccessful in adding a service to the tuning database - and I don't understand why.
Likewise.
What a revision to channeldel could do is to make a backup of the tuning database before service removal, and then offer the user the option to restore it (at reboot).
But it wouldn't work for the above reason. The only thing I've got to work is complete replacement of the database, from one properly retuned machine to another.

That's what I was suggesting. I see no reason channeldel couldn't restore the whole database from a backup if requested by the user, and it would then proceed to delete services again (except for those removed from the deletion list).

Back