Unresponsive Remote

Scott McKenzie

Just moved house and tried to get my Humax box up and running. I've never used the remote as I have a Harmony 900 (can't currently find that though...)

The lights flash on the PVR button at the top (red) - I have tried cycling through the other inputs and they flash too when relevant buttons are pressed.

Any ideas??

(I will obviously try to find the Harmony remote to see if that works ok but in the meantime this has me puzzled!)

Try holding down the OK and Zero buttons for five seconds, until the PVR light stays on, and see if anything comes up on the screen. If it does, press 1 to reset the input mode.

af123 - no joy with that, nothing happened at all :(

Ezra - no joy there either, no lights were flashing.

Any other ideas folks??

Perhaps the remote is not emitting. Try viewing it through a digital camera (eg phone cam), the camera is sensitive to IR and you will be able to see the output flashing.

When you say nothing happened at all (af123's suggestion), do you mean the PVR light did not come on solid after 5 secs or so of holding 0 and OK together? It should, try again. If it did but the Humax did not respond, again try again but if the test above shows no output you have found your problem.

More info here (see section 13): Things Every...

Perhaps the remote is not emitting. Try viewing it through a digital camera (eg phone cam), the camera is sensitive to IR and you will be able to see the output flashing.

When you say nothing happened at all (af123's suggestion), do you mean the PVR light did not come on solid after 5 secs or so of holding 0 and OK together? It should, try again. If it did but the Humax did not respond, again try again but if the test above shows no output you have found your problem.

More info here (see section 13): Things Every...
I'll try the camera trick.. thanks

Literally nothing happened, no PVR light came on, nothing on screen - does this suggest a remote problem?

Confirm your camera test method by looking at another remote. If you see flashes from another remote but not the Humax, you have found your problem.

Oh, sorry, I just re-read and realised you've not tried the camera yet. If the PVR button lights when you press a button normally (you said it did), try again with the "0" and "OK" until the PVR button lights permanently trick. See the reference I gave before for more info.

If it is of any use, the Harmony 300 is available quite cheaply from Amazon and can be programmed to operate the HDR-FOX (without a working HDR-FOX handset).

I already have a Harmony 900 - which i've always used. I've recently moved though and everything is boxed up, hence I was trying to at least get my shows recording in the background!

I'll check tonight though - thanks

Clutching at straws, could try rebooting the remote by taking the batteries out for a while.

Mine stops working every now & then. I remove 1 battery then put it back after a few seconds... the old reboot trick.

Same here - I get no response from the remote sometimes and when I press buttons the PVR light flickers red but at less brightness than normal if that makes sense. Never managed to spot any pattern of circumstances why it would do this now and then. I wondered if it was battery but I don't get the flashing in sequence thing, but doing the battery hokey cokey as mentioned before seems to sort it out.

Agree - I find that one of the batteries sometimes seems to shift in the compartment, I generally just take the cover off and roll the batteries with my thumb, and all is ok. I guess I should glue a bit of foam inside the battery compartment lid to prevent this!

If the rolling trick is what works, then gluing foam won't help (I think) as the problem is dirty contacts (oxidation) and keeping them static doesn't keep them clean - or so I've found on lots of remotes and torches.

Have a problem where the hummy forgets to 'see' the remote, seems random but may be to do with the hummy getting warm? best I can think of. Still works the TV and DVD off the other buttons, but PVR comes and goes, almost always good when first switched on. Rang Humax and they kindly supplied a new remote, works the same as the original so suspect the problem is with the box. Was thinking I will have to return when discovered the new software remote (WebIf Remote Controller) on the customised firmware. Outstanding, control from lappy, pad and phone.

Have a problem where the hummy forgets to 'see' the remote, seems random but may be to do with the hummy getting warm?

I observe this happening when lamps using CFL bulbs are first tuned on. It seems before the lamp 'warms up' and gets its full luminance, it radiates a lot of IR radiation, which swamps the IR receiver in the Hummy. Other items may not be affected as they may use a different frequency of pulses to modulate the IR signal.

Back