Unsupported Video Files

Teg

I know the HDR-Fox-T2 will not play all video formats but was wondering if there could be a package which "notes" (perhaps in a text file) the actual file name of files that it will not play. This way I can take this list and move those unsupported files to a different folder or hard drive to attempt playing via the usb port on my TV.

I do not mind having to attempt to play all the files to get this to happen, although a tool that would do this automatically would be useful.

I know when the file will not play a message appears (cannot support the audio format of this file) and then when you return to the list of files the icon has a lightning bolt across it. (Typical trying to replicate now but icon does not change).

Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

The main problem is going to be identifying the streams in the media files, as the extension is no guide to what is actually in the file. Media files are made of streams (usually 2 or more - one video and one audio - but may have more e.g. subtitles etc) inside a container. The extension of the file is usually some reference to the container, but people can obviously change it to whatever they want without altering what the file actually is. The streams within the container are then encoded (compressed) using one of many (and I do mean many) codecs. Its is usually these codecs that the box has an issue with (although it also does not like some containers (mkv over the network for example)

Although its doable to make a script that scans for certain file extensions and moves them to a different directory I doubt this is going to solve the problem.

James

Thanks for your quick reply James!

What I am looking for is the ability to note files that do not play. Is there an event which takes place whenever the "cannot support the audio format of this file" message appears? Being able to note this in a text file. I do not need to have the files moved, I can do that myself manually it is more case of being able to identify which files play or not. When you reboot the device, the icon marking (lighting bolt) disappears.

My attempts to play mkv files have resulted in some that play, some that produce a no-can-do message and some that spontaneously reboot the box. I don't think the Humax handles this issue very elegantly.

FYI
After our earlier attempts to get MKV to work (as I especially wanted this) I contacted Humax and the message returned was there is no
software on the box to parse mkv files. You may get another file type to play if it is incorrectly labelled as MKV.
This is in accordance with extensive attempts to get them to play here.

FYI
After our earlier attempts to get MKV to work (as I especially wanted this) I contacted Humax and the message returned was there is no
software on the box to parse mkv files. You may get another file type to play if it is incorrectly labelled as MKV.
This is in accordance with extensive attempts to get them to play here.

There must be something specific to the encoding (not something that I'm that knowledgeable about). I've had MKV files output from Handbrake (mac DVD ripper) and from blu-ray on mac using Aiseesoft and work fine.

I think MKV is just a container but these programs seem to encode to H.264 and mpeg (I watch on my ipad too and use this setting when ripping) and they play fine from USB and from the Humax HD.

For my own encodes, I generally use Handbrake or Freemake and output to mp4. These seem to work fine on the Hummy. Downloaded mkv files are a lottery and I don't consider it practical to transcode them on any sort of regular basis. There are loads a cheap media players available that will play mkv files with a minimum of hassle.

Back