Resolved Upcoming Server Move

Status
Not open for further replies.

af123

Administrator
Staff member
Following the server move on Monday, the forum will be available over IPv6 and will also support elliptic curve encryption algorithms which are more secure and significantly faster. (It will continue to support older algorithms for those on old web browsers and I don't expect any problems unless anyone is still using IE6!)

If you have a minute, please visit https://beta.hummy.tv/ to confirm that you'll be able to access it properly after the move. You'll see a short page confirming connection if it's successful.

2016-12-01 11_37_10-hummy.tv.png

In this example, the EC at the start of the Cipher field lets me know that my browser is using elliptic curve algorithms. If it doesn't mean anything to you, don't worry too much about the content of the page - the fact that you can see it means it's working.

Thanks!

Last edited:
I Get the message:
Successful encrypted connection to beta.hummy.tv.
Protocol: TLSv1.2
Cipher: ECDHE-ECDSA-AES256-SHA
Key Size: 256

Is this what I should be expecting? W10Pro, Chrome and IE11.

Works for me with Chrome on Windows 10 but oddly not with Firefox or Opera on the same computer.

Edit: Now working on all three without me making any change.

Last edited:
I Get the message:
Successful encrypted connection to beta.hummy.tv.
Protocol: TLSv1.2
Cipher: ECDHE-ECDSA-AES256-SHA
Key Size: 256

Is this what I should be expecting? W10Pro, Chrome and IE11.
Edit seems to be working OK now.:)
What the heck are you talking about Trev? That's what AF showed as correct in post 1 - or am I missing something?

What the heck are you talking about Trev?
I'm talking about the post editing problem that occurred earlier. When I re-read my second post, I realised that it looked possibly like an edit to my previous post which could beg the question "What the heck are you talking about Trev?" When I was really just commenting on the forum edit facility.
That's what AF showed as correct in post 1 - or am I missing something?
OOPs:oops:

I'm talking about the post editing problem that occurred earlier.
Hopefully this'll go away on Monday.
At the moment it's like that Two Ronnies/Mastermind sketch - Answering the question before last.

I don't get the message about the encryption used, but get a "This board is closed" message. However it recognised me when I tried to log in, but gave me the same message after login.

Using IE8 (Windows XP!) I get an "Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage" message.
Firefox and Opera give "board is closed" message. Encryption message shown in post #1 NOT shown.

AF posted his quick test on Thursday, to check there were no glaring problems with the server stuff. It's due to go live on Monday - do you think he's not busy building it up?

do you think he's not busy building it up?
I am, but should have posted an update, it's just been a busy couple of days!

Getting ready for the move I've now got a fully working copy of the forum up on the new server (albeit a bit pinkish so I don't get them mixed up), replacing the temporary "connection successful" page. If you can get to it then your connection is working.

The new server supports elliptic curve encryption, the HTTP/2 protocol and various other things which should make for a much faster experience, but it does mean that some very old web browsers will not be able to negotiate properly, which was the purpose of the original request for people to test. The affected browsers is a very short list but does specifically include IE8 on Windows XP which explains EEPhil's result. Here's the relevant part of the compatibility test report for IE/Edge.

Screenshot%202016-12-03%2022.31.37.png

Full report available at https://www.ssllabs.com/ssltest/analyze.html?d=beta.hummy.tv (if the result isn't cached, it may take a minute or two to do another evaluation of the server).

It would be possible to support IE8 on XP but it would involve degrading some of the encryption support which would downgrade the sever's current A+ rating. I'm actually surprised that anyone is still using it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back