Updated to 3.03 (03.03.2015) now getting constant loop crash.

I speak as one who was quite happy to bind the IPs on the router, but had to change method when I found that my (enforced change) new router showed the IPs as bound to MACs, but then handed out 'random' IPs from the DHCP pool if the devices were set to use DHCP!!
All the more reason to set static addresses outside the DHCP range on the devices and not have anything to do with the obviously buggy DHCP implementation in the router then.
Was it a TP-Link by any chance?

Last edited:
I bind my MACS to their respective IPs as in Pic attached.
Also IP addresses are usually fixed on their respective devices.
View attachment 1781
I'm not sure but I would guess that fixing the IP address on the device means that it does not trigger the DHCP process on the router so could cause confusion.
As you have told the router to allocate a specific address to the device then why not let it do it its job.
I personally would switch the Humax back to DHCP.

Alternatively take Prpr's advice.

All the more reason to set static addresses outside the DHCP range on the devices and not have anything to do with the obviously buggy DHCP implementation in the router then.
Was it a TP-Link by any chance?
From the picture in post #16' I'd say it was a TP-link.

From the picture in post #16' I'd say it was a TP-link.
But that was The Terrahawk's picture. I was responding to dandnsmith's comment, who hasn't said nor provided a picture.
Don't make rash assumptions (I've had enough of that from my colleagues the past couple of weeks thanks).

But that was The Terrahawk's picture. I was responding to dandnsmith's comment, who hasn't said nor provided a picture.
Don't make rash assumptions (I've had enough of that from my colleagues the past couple of weeks thanks).
My mistake, sorry.

You do? Wow. Most of it was waffly drivel.
Perhaps, but I'm like a spider - I bind the subject up, anaesthetise it and then suck out the juicy bits.

I speak as one who was quite happy to bind the IPs on the router, but had to change method when I found that my (enforced change) new router showed the IPs as bound to MACs, but then handed out 'random' IPs from the DHCP pool if the devices were set to use DHCP!!
One might assume that if a MAC is bound to an IP as in Terrahawk's picture that the router then reserves that IP. But I suspect that may not be right and that it just means that MAC will only ever be given that IP (so if it's already 'out' it either won't get one or it will 'share'). Lots of scope for manufacturer variants there :)

I haven't a picture to hand - but it most certainly isn't TP-Link - in fact it is a technicolor TG589vn, which seems to be a Thomson router, rebadged.
The interface is horrible and slow, and the most important bits of configuration I had to effect by editing an ini file as the wizard provided just doesn't work. I'll change it when I find one I know is better.

My O2 router is a Thompson.

That's the key innit - being sure one is not throwing money (and time) at jumping out of the frying pan and into the fire.

Why do I keep my Netgear DG834G V4? Because it's monitorable, controllable, has shell access and the web interface is mostly OK (e.g. one problem is that it declares MAC addresses in the DHCP reservation config. which don't start with 00 as invalid, so you have to Backup, edit, Restore to persuade it).

I have a Netgear (DGND3700). Looking at reviews recently while sussing a new one for when we move the reviews all seem to agree that Netgear's interfaces are usually the best. Not pretty but generally clear and have all the stuff you need to manage the box.

I have a Netgear (DGND3700).
That's what I have got as well because my EE livebox continually dropped WiFi on my laptop (just the lappy, not my phone or tablet) and I had to keep resetting it. Absolutely no problems with the Netgear at all. Have not had one dropout in the year that I have had it. I removed the stupid foot thingy (it looks like a push fit, but NG have glued it in as well) and wall mounted it.

Hi "The Terrahawk". Sorry to add an off topic comment. Your username is very similar to my own and may cause some confusion. You are off course free to use any name you choose but it would be nice if you were able to pick one a little more unique.

Appreciate your understanding.

There's nothing he can do to change it himself, and no way he could have known other than go through thousands of existing user names (unless he already tried "Terrahawk" and had it bounced). The forum admins can change it, if they are convinced of the need (I'm not - your avatars are sufficiently distinct).

Appreciate your comment blackhole

I don't want to post to much in the topic as it's content is far more valuable. The purpose is purly to highlight the similarity.

Appreciate your comment blackhole

I don't want to post to much in the topic as it's content is far more valuable. The purpose is purly to highlight the similarity.

Sorry to burst your bubble Terrahawk but Ive bee Terrahawk for quite some time and have about 100 accounts in that name. I can't confuse my mates now can I...

Back