Updating custom firmware to latest version

scoggy

I'd assumed I'd find advice on this is the wiki or the sticky forum threads, but I've not been able to. Apologies if I've missed it (it doesn't help that I'm on a phone browsing the wiki and forum).

I'm on the versions set out below, and would like to know which steps I should go through to update my HDR Fox T2.

Do I remove the custom fw, update the official fw to the latest and then install the latest custom fw fresh?

Web interface version: 1.0.7-11
Custom firmware version: 2.17 (build 1699)
Humax Version: 1.02.32

Thanks for any help you can offer. This custom fw is great!

Web interface version: 1.0.7-11
Custom firmware version: 2.17 (build 1699)
Humax Version: 1.02.32
No need. 1.02.32 is the latest firmware as far as Humax official releases is concerned, and CF2.17 isn't so far out of date as to matter. The only reason to update the CF is to support specific new facilities or improvements in maintenance mode disk repair. WebIF 1.0.7-11 is the latest anyway.

There is a later "standard" firmware 1.03.06, but this has not been made available by Humax so far and is only available as a custom extracted version through this forum. It is only worth installing if you wish to play with the new version of the web browser which runs the TV Portal.

Yes, the information is on the Wiki but easy to miss the link to "upgrade path". There are various versions of CF which automatically result in the base firmware also being updated to effectively a new standard firmware version, but the general procedure which always works is:
  1. In the WebIF Diagnostics page run the disgnostic "prepare_for_upgrade" (select it from the Run Diagnostic box). This limits the patching up required after the upgrade.
  2. Download and install the standard firmware of your choice. This wipes out the CF.
  3. Download and install the custom firmware appropriate to the standard firmware. This reinstates the CF.
  4. In the WebIF Diagnostics page run the disgnostic "fix_flash_packages".
No doubt others will say this is overkill, but it covers all bases. If you are only updating the CF, omit step 2 (and you won't need step 1 either).

Information about the standard firmware versions is available in Things Every... (click) section 1. Note that one of my machines is quite happily running 1.02.20.

This does not deal with the custom software packages, only the firmwares stored in solid state memory. The packages can be updated live via the WebIF Package Management page (it is important to click the "Update package list from Internet" button - and allow it to finish - before proceeding further). Package updates might require a reboot before coming into operation. Packages (and that includes the WebIF itself) can be kept up to date automatically by installing the auto-update package (presuming your Humax has a live Internet connection).

There is a later "standard" firmware 1.03.06, but this has nt been made available by Humax so far and is only available as a custom extracted version through this forum. It is only worth installing if you wish to play with the new version of the web browser which runs the TV Portal.

I seem to remember reading elsewhere here that 1.03.06 may actually be a retrograde step for 'standard' operations (i.e. not TV portal), because basic EPG browsing was perceived as more sluggish compared to 1.02.32 by those who'd tried it.

Thanks for you quick and helpful responses. That upgrade path page is very clear and useful - I'll bookmark that.

Looks like I wouldn't get much benefit from upgrading at this time. I'll keep an eye on the wiki.

Thanks again.

I seem to remember reading elsewhere here that 1.03.06 may actually be a retrograde step for 'standard' operations (i.e. not TV portal), because basic EPG browsing was perceived as more sluggish compared to 1.02.32 by those who'd tried it.

I don't find the EPG slow and Black Hole probably under played the new BBCiPlayer which is a great improvement in 1.03.06 offering correct implementation of the back button (it steps back out of programmes to the menu above where it came from, not jumping completely back to the front screen as the previous iPlayer implementation did). You also have favourites and can ask to show other similar programmes as the one currently playing by pressing the up. So basically the iPlayer is greatly improved in this implementation.

... and Black Hole probably under played the new BBCiPlayer which is a great improvement in 1.03.06 offering correct implementation of the back button (it steps back out of programmes to the menu above where it came from, not jumping completely back to the front screen as the previous iPlayer implementation did). You also have favourites and can ask to show other similar programmes as the one currently playing by pressing the up. So basically the iPlayer is greatly improved in this implementation.

Does it do subtitles? I've never found a way to get them on the 'old' version - I've occasionally had to go and use the PC to find out what's been said.

Yes it does do subtitles, click on picture below
iplayer-subs.jpg
BTW
If you do find the EPG sluggish, it is possible to speed it up by deleting non current scheduled items i.e. the ones displayed as --:-- ~ --:-- in the 'time' section

Yes I have a tidy up of these periodically which is why I haven't found it sluggish myself. Yes as mentioned I think the iPlayer improvements have been underplayed although obviously we are patiently waiting for those extra custom apps to come out of development:hungry: :)

I don't find the EPG slow and Black Hole probably under played the new BBCiPlayer which is a great improvement in 1.03.06 offering correct implementation of the back button (it steps back out of programmes to the menu above where it came from, not jumping completely back to the front screen as the previous iPlayer implementation did). You also have favourites and can ask to show other similar programmes as the one currently playing by pressing the up. So basically the iPlayer is greatly improved in this implementation.
I will add something about that to Things Every.

Update: I already have, but now updated a bit more.

I wouldn't underplay the CFW changes too much either. It's worth having the latest fix disk stuff to hand should you need them. Having the fan run in maintenance mode is important too and the priority fix for the command line can't hurt.

I agree with what you say to a point, but one only needs the off-line improvements when one needs them. I would only update the CF when I needed to (chances are that if I was updating as a routine, when I came to run a disk repair there would be another update anyway!).

My point is that there is no need to keep up with the bleeding edge (or even the leading edge) if one's needs are more casual, there is less stress in remaining behind the curve. If it works for you - don't fix it.

You don't know you need the latest version until you have a problem that isn't 'correctable' with your current, not-quite-up-to-date version.

But I do understand what you mean.

I would only update the CF when I needed to
I wouldn't (and don't).
(chances are that if I was updating as a routine, when I came to run a disk repair there would be another update anyway!).
No, chances are that if you were updating in a timely manner, there would NOT be another update when you needed a disk repair.
My point is that there is no need to keep up with the bleeding edge (or even the leading edge) if one's needs are more casual, there is less stress in remaining behind the curve. If it works for you - don't fix it.
There's no stress involved with updating the firmware anyway, so how could there be less?

For what? It takes a couple of minutes tops. Hardly onerous. You have obviously run out of arguments.

I have always found it difficult to understand how certain personalities on this Forum (or any forum) find it impossible to accept there may be other points of view than their own, equally valid.

You are one of those people who likes to preach, rather than to practise. If you spent even 1% of the time you spent writing on here doing what you write about, then you would have updated multiple machines multiple times and still have lots of time left over.
And then you have the temerity to complain about personalities and other points of view, while pushing your view as the 'right' one. It does beggar belief.
Just for once, shut up and do it rather than wittering on endlessly about it. You might find you like it (but probably not).

For what? It takes a couple of minutes tops. Hardly onerous. You have obviously run out of arguments.

Well, you're both right in a way, and both wrong too. It's not a big job to upgrade the CFW, but it's more than a couple of minutes for those who don't do it all the time. Find USB stick, find instructions, download s/w, rename s/w (? working from memory here), access front of HDR, plug in, reboot or whatever (check instructions :) ), blah, blah.
And you can't do it while the box is busy, or you are busy, and you need to allow time after to make sure you haven't broken it and to fix it if you have before SWMBO's next recording is due. So a suitable time-slot needs to be booked.

So for those of us who have just one HDR that is in daily use doing vital work, upgrading may not be a major task, but is also not just a couple of minutes.

Back