Updating Custom Firmware

makem

Both my HDR-FOX T2 boxes have old custom firmware installed and i want to update.

Is it ok to make the jump in one step to 3.13?

Custom firmware version: 3.03 (build 2368)
Humax Version: 1.03.12 (kernel HDR_CFW_3.03)
Loader Version: a7.31
System ID: 80bc.7e00

Both my HDR-FOX T2 boxes have old custom firmware installed and i want to update.

Is it ok to make the jump in one step to 3.13?

Custom firmware version: 3.03 (build 2368)
Humax Version: 1.03.12 (kernel HDR_CFW_3.03)
Loader Version: a7.31
System ID: 80bc.7e00
Yes.

1. HDR_FOX_T2_upgrade.hdf file downloaded and placed at the root of a fat32 formatted usb along with existing files.
2. Procedure from the wiki web page: Install Modified Firmware.
3. Install fails and tv programs start.

4. Usb reformatted again using fat32 and the single file replaced in the root.
5. Install fails and tv programs start.

A week ago we had two power outages in quick succession and the tv signal was lost. One of my machines was running and it was noticed 6 days later when the signal was restored, that scheduled recordings were not being made. Both machines were running version 3.03.

I do not think the power outage could cause the update to fail as it also fails on the box which was off at the time.

Any suggestions?

1. HDR_FOX_T2_upgrade.hdf file downloaded and placed at the root of a fat32 formatted usb along with existing files.
2. Procedure from the wiki web page: Install Modified Firmware.
3. Install fails and tv programs start.
Are you putting the box in standby or switching off? If in standby I think you need to wait until the hard drive stops spinning before starting the box.

I followed the instructions precisely.

The usb was formatted using gparted but that should not make any difference.

Last edited:
They are a bit fussy on which USB sticks they will take. Try a different one (the older and smaller the better.)

They are a bit fussy on which USB sticks they will take. Try a different one (the older and smaller the better.)

Yes, I am aware of that.

What appears to have fixed the problem is changing the partition table from gpt to msdos. The usb is now recognised and is updating the box.

Very strange because I have used Linux for years and would in the past have used gpt.

I await an answer from xubuntu forum because if it is formatted gpt fat32 when I plug it into my computer it is owned by root and un-writable. The same usb, still with a gpt table formatted fat32 in windows mounts writable in linux. I cannot understand that and have asked for advice. The problem there may relate to the failure of the Humax to recognise the usb.

Last edited:
I'll be very surprised if a GPT-formatted UPD has ever worked for firmware updating. The UPD will have had an MBR structure on it as delivered, and even if you formatted a partition as Ext2 would have retained MBR.

I'll be very surprised if a GPT-formatted UPD has ever worked for firmware updating. The UPD will have had an MBR structure on it as delivered, and even if you formatted a partition as Ext2 would have retained MBR.

It is possible in 2015 I used an old msdos partitioned usb to update. I have been using several usbs to make persistent linux usbs so maybe I just picked up the wrong one. Having now updated the machines it can only have been the gpt partitioning that caused the failure.

The ability to read/ write to GPT disks was added to the custom firmware, originally I think to allow >2TB disks to be installed. A vanilla HDR-FOX can only read disks with MBR.

So presumably at the point of booting a usb for updating firmware the box is in the vanilla state. ??
I think the firmware update is handled by the loader so yes the capabilities will definitely be limited to whatever the loader supports.

I'm not sure whether the firmware update process is part of the loader or not, but regardless it uses a limited boot environment and not the full Linux boot with all the bells and whistles. It only has enough "knowledge" of accessing a drive connected to USB sufficient to read it, validate it, and pass it to the firmware updater. Thus it requires the drive is compatible with a particular USB memory access mode, a drive structure it recognises (MBR), and a file system it recognises (FAT32). Otherwise it will just give a Gallic shrug and pass on to normal full boot.

Back