Updating WiFi Drivers

If dongles don't work, a WiFi gadget that plugs into USB and connects to the Ethernet socket of the HDR is about £10 in the usual tat bazaar and bypasses any driver issues.
That's what I refer to as a nano-router, and I have acquired some cheap Edimax units to experiment with. But (as mentioned above), they require (a) powering, and (b) configuring separately. If it loses its settings (as it almost certainly will at some point), a non-tech user will be stuffed without technical support, whereas they could be instructed how to reconnect a dongle through the SUI.

These days I don't see many of the budget generic RT3070 black WiFi dongle (bright blue led). I think they were roughly £5 - shipping from China.
I have not identified any definite RT3070 units currently on eBay, otherwise I would have bought one.

As far as know, the RT3070 ones with black (base/side/tail antennae) & white (top) casing should work. Not as cheap (£10ish) but it's available.

That's interesting. Thanks. They may be the only ones left.

Query: might the only thing stopping the driver working with other chip sets be the ID string?

Back