Upgrade to 4.1.3 Failed

Teg

Hi,

I just attempted to upgrade my HDR FoxSat from 4.1.2 to 4.1.3. The upgrade appeared to go successfully and I was able to download the full Custom firmware packages from the net. However after completing the reboot, the box has become completely unstable.

I am unable to access the web interface (even though IP address is fixed).

To make matters worse the box appears to freeze after about 10 minutes of use. The image freezes but the audio continues fine and then after 15 minutes like this the box automatically switches off, reboots and the same issue occurs again. I have attempted to re-install the software but each time I am unable to access the web interface to complete the download.

Please help. I am attempting to telnet into the box and try and resolve manually from the command line if possible.

As a temporary fix rolled back to the official firmware 1.00.21 to stop the constant freezing.

O.K. There's a lot that went on behind the scenes when you upgraded from 4.1.2 to 4.1.3. The embedded mongoose web server is replaced by a basic bootstrap server and the main server, lighttpd is a now a downloadable package. Also the root path for the main web interface has changed. I suspect that some corruption must have crept in somewhere during this process. However, all is not lost. First you need to reflash with 4.1.3 in order to regain access via telnet. Do not attempt to acess the HDR via the web interface just yet. If you don't have telnet access then install the package via USB stick. The telnet package and instructions on how to install it are contained in the 4.1.3 rar archive along with the .hdf. Once you have telnet access enter this command rm /opt/etc/.DO_NOT_DELETE_THIS_FILE then restart the box. (make sure to include the "." at the start of the file name). This will reset your custom firmware environment back to the point where you had first flashed the custom firmware with no packages installed. You can then re-install the full web interface and apps once again, via the basic web interface.

Thanks for your help Raydon. I followed your instructions and at multiple times felt I had bricked my box.

Installed 4.1.3 no probems. Installed telnet package via USB key. Logged in via telnet to delete the folder as directed. On first attempt the box locked up BEFORE I could completely enter the command, so box was rebooted and tried again and deleted with no issues.

On reboot the box was just stuck in BOOT mode. BOOT displayed on the box and stuck for several minutes. Perhaps I was not patient enough, but it appeared to be broken.

So I have reverted back to the official firmware. From here I attempted to flash 4.1.3 from scratch but again the box just would not boot up after the update is applied. Really running out of ideas now. Any suggestions? Is there no way run a script to clean up the internal folders and then flash to 4.1.3

I've had the Fox-sat for a few years and not had any problems carrying out upgrades. Always installed first time and updated straight away.

Any suggestions on what to do would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Hmm, I suspect that the /mnt/hd4/opt folder has still not been deleted. Either that or your Music/Video partition where /opt folder resides has gone 'read-only' due to disk corruption. That would prevent the delete from succeeding. Can you try copying an MP3 from USB stick to the Music folder and see if the copy operation succeeds and MP3 plays back OK. If that works OK I can make you a custom .hdf that will do nothing else but delete the /opt folder for you. Will take a week or two though, as I'm not at home at present.

Thanks Raydon! No real rush on the custom.hdf file - I am happy to wait for when you have it ready. Will attempt the mp3 file copy later this week and let you know.

Hi Raydon, attempted to copy an mp3 player from the usb to the hdd of the FoxSat but this failed. All I have now is the filename of the mp3 listed on the HDD but the size is 0mb.

Is there anything you can do to help? A complete reflash from scratch?

Thanks in advance

Try reformatting the Music/Photo partition. Menu/System/HDD Control/Format HDD. Select Music/Photo Partition only via checkbox, then OK.

hi Raydon - I attempted the format as you described. The drive made some unhealthy clicking noises but after it completed, it had deleted both video and music partitions, even though I had selected just the music partition.

What is the next step? Family extremely unhappy to lose all their recordings but no problem - just rather get this fixed and get the custom firmware re-installed and working correctly.

Update - rebooted box and prompted to reformat and all recordings are back! Great! Happy family now that no longer smell blood!

Thanks in advance,

Andrew

Last edited:
I have not yet gone back to install the custom firmware. I wanted to know from you were the next steps were. Do I need to try and copy an mp3 file to the music partition first as some test?

So please let me know step by step what I need to do to get the custom firmware back installed. It may be a case of having gone through this whole "reset" I am back at stage one need to install the custom firmware as per usual instructions.

Thanks in advance for your help and patience

If the Music/Photo partition was successfully reformatted then you should be able to reflash with CFW then continue and install the full web interface without any further problems.

Sorry for the long delay in responding. This was my parents box at my parents house and I did not want to mess around during the critical Christmas TV period. Installed this evening - no issues whatsoever! Thank you for Raydon for your help. Hope this thread helps others having problems.

Keep on doing what you are doing!

Maybe I spoke too soon! When trying to access the web interface, the page does not display and then after a few moments the FoxSat box just freezes. Picture if frozen but dialogue continues. Have to do a full reboot (switch on back) to get it up and running again.

Not a major issue as I was the only one to view the web interface but would be good to understand what the problem is. The box was working fine when I updated two weeks ago.

Thanks,

Teg

I suspect you still have a problem with your hard disk which was the cause of your previous problems. Try running 'fix-disk' from a telnet session.

Ran the fix-disk - it seems to have half worked. Read errors were found but unable to fix and then the fix-disk process just dropped out after over 3 hours.

The WebIf is back but only the top back - cannot see the icon for remote or packages. Do I need to start again and re-install custom firmware on top?

Let me know thanks. Box appears to be operating correctly as expected.

Back