Upgrading from a 9200T - a few quick questions

AJones

I've been a happy owner of a Humax PVR-9200T since shortly after it was released. It has been through all the software upgrades, and apart from occasional minor problems, it is still working great today. I almost feel sad to be thinking about replacing it.

However, my local Currys Digital is now selling the HDR-FOX T2 at a discount price and I'm very tempted by it and it's HD recording, iPlayer and network connectivity. I've been doing a lot of reading about it and an almost at the point of buying probably the 500GB version (I never came anywhere near running out of space on my current PVR). I still have a few questions I haven't found the answers to yet:

How quiet is the HDR-FOX T2 in operation/standby compared to the 9200T? How does the 500GB version compare to the 1TB version in this respect?

When copying standard definition recordings to a PC (something I do fairly regularly), are they in the same .TS format as files copied from the 9200T? I use DVR-Studio Pro 2 to make DVDs and video files from recordings.

If I was to install the custom software (which I probably will once I'm satisfied there are no problems with the unit), does it take up enough hard disk space to make it worthwhile getting the 1TB version, or will there still be plenty of space on the 500GB?

Anything in particular a 9200T user should be aware of before upgrading?

Thanks in advance!

The 500GB version is reported by quite a few users as not only being quieter in operation but also more reliable. The files on the HDR are in TS format although I'm not sure they are exactly the same as on the 9200T, It is worth bearing in mind that ALL recordings on the HDR are encrypted and will not play on anything else unless decrypted first, for Standard fDef. files this can be achieved by copying them to a USB drive, High-Def. can also be treated this way after the removal of an 'ENC' flag. The Custom Firmware takes up a very small amount of hard disk space so it is not really worth considering a bigger Hard disk drive to accommodate this

Compared to a recording, the disk space taken up by custom software is minuscule (less than 100MB on mine).

When copying standard definition recordings to a PC (something I do fairly regularly), are they in the same .TS format as files copied from the 9200T? I use DVR-Studio Pro 2 to make DVDs and video files from recordings.
The HDR-FOX_T2 records more of the mux's epg stream and also records the AD audio channel.

If I was to install the custom software (which I probably will once I'm satisfied there are no problems with the unit), does it take up enough hard disk space to make it worthwhile getting the 1TB version, or will there still be plenty of space on the 500GB?
The CF takes up less space than a 30 minute recording's extraneous epg streams.

Anything in particular a 9200T user should be aware of before upgrading?
  • No PIP.
  • No RF modulator.
  • Only 1 scart.
  • No editing. E.g. If you record a 5 hour programme for just a portion of it there is no way out-of-the-box to get rid of the surplus.
  • Only 5 programmes per screen on the recorded list. The partial compensation for not having 10 programmes may be a forced folder structure for recordings.
  • Needs at least an HD Ready TV or a good SD TV for the menus to be easily readable.
  • Due to the extra junk recorded when comparing disk size take 20% off the T2 size. Even more if you record radio.
  • Various niggles.

i find noise is not an issue withe the fox t2.
have just consigned my 9200t to shelf storage having downloaded - very slowly - the programs i want to save.
so far the foxt2 has given no trouble at all - the 9200t often got sluggish or locked up.
another big gain is its possible to load ts files and other video files eg camera videos.
it is currently on amazon at £210 including postage.

I've just upgraded from a 9200T to a Fox T2 (1TB model) and I'm very happy with it. Picture quality is better throughout (by virtue of the HDMI interface rather than the old SCART; by the way it comes with a HDMI cable so don't be persuaded by Currys to buy another one!).

I bought a compatible USB wireless adapter from Ebay (£5), copied the .TS files from the 9200T's hard disk via my PC onto my network, and can now play those old files using the Fox T2.

So far I haven't encountered any bugs or problems.

Due to the extra junk recorded when comparing disk size take 20% off the T2 size. Even more if you record radio
A bigger consideration than the amount of junk recorded might be the size of the High Def. files, which are roughly 4x their Standard Def. equivalents.

A bigger consideration than the amount of junk recorded might be the size of the High Def. files, which are roughly 4x their Standard Def. equivalents.

If that is an issue the HDR-FOX-T" allows the alternative SD version to be recorded.

Thanks for all your responses eveyone!

The HDR-FOX_T2 records more of the mux's epg stream and also records the AD audio channel.
My 9200T records the AD channel too, at least sometimes. I've had to be careful not to select it as the main audio stream when burning DVDs.
  • No PIP.
  • No RF modulator.
  • Only 1 scart.
  • Only 5 programmes per screen on the recorded list. The partial compensation for not having 10 programmes may be a forced folder structure for recordings.
I can live with all that. I never used PIP or the RF modulator and I plan to use HDMI instead of SCART.
  • No editing. E.g. If you record a 5 hour programme for just a portion of it there is no way out-of-the-box to get rid of the surplus.

That's disappointing. I use that to trim recordings before I transfer them to PC, mainly because transfers are quite slow. Are transfers reasonably fast on the Fox using USB or network/custom software? I guess I can find a way of editing the files down to size once they're on the PC.
  • Needs at least an HD Ready TV or a good SD TV for the menus to be easily readable.
It will be used with a 19" HD ready TV initially. I assume the menus are readable on a smallish screen in 720p? I think it can do 1080i too, but I'm not sure.
  • Various niggles.
None worst than the various niggles on the 9200T I hope (occasional sluggishness, occasional missed recordings and very occasional freezing).

I've just upgraded from a 9200T to a Fox T2 (1TB model) and I'm very happy with it. Picture quality is better throughout (by virtue of the HDMI interface rather than the old SCART; by the way it comes with a HDMI cable so don't be persuaded by Currys to buy another one!).

I bought a compatible USB wireless adapter from Ebay (£5), copied the .TS files from the 9200T's hard disk via my PC onto my network, and can now play those old files using the Fox T2.

So far I haven't encountered any bugs or problems.

That all sounds great. Is is quieter that the 9200T? Silent in standby?

I remember the 9200T was supposed to be able to store 100 hours of SD recordings on it's 160GB disk. It looks as though the 500GB HDR-FOX T2 is being advertised as able to store around 100 hours of HD recordings. Does that sound realistic?

If that's the case I won't have a problem, especialy as some of what I record will be SD. I've always had plenty of room on the 9200T.

No editing. E.g. If you record a 5 hour programme for just a portion of it there is no way out-of-the-box to get rid of the surplus.
That's disappointing. I use that to trim recordings before I transfer them to PC, mainly because transfers are quite slow. Are transfers reasonably fast on the Fox using USB or network/custom software? I guess I can find a way of editing the files down to size once they're on the PC.
If you install the CF, there is a package called nicesplice which will allow you to do basic on box editing, so you will be able to trim recordings before transferring to PC.

Yes, 100 hours of HiDef is realistic - 4-5GB per hour, StDef 1.5GB per hour.

There is a method for topping and tailing, removing sections, splitting & joining files in the custom firmware.

Back