UPnP security?

Now, I am concerned about the security issues associated with the use of UPnP, in the sense that I am considering using it to access recordings from my HDR FOX T2 via VLC player.
I don't seem to be able to get this to work so any reassurances and help in getting this to work, any way to enhance security?, do I need to enable the UPnP facility on my router?.
Thanks

Okay, my point exactly, that is why I ask the question is there a security risk, if so what is it and should I be worried or concerned we are drowning in misinformation in the zoo in which we find ourselves you ask 200 people etc etc you get 200 etc etc see my point, we are surrounded by experts but nobody knows anything, they just think they do, hence the resulting zoo!.

What security issues? Oh my god, somebody can break into my home network and then watch my TV programmes! Shock, horror.
I might be asking trivial questions but please humour me as I am no expert in this field, or any other for that matter, I am what you might consider the only person on the planet who is not an expert on anything, so I ask questions but I am very careful of the answers.
Thanks again.

Just do a bit of searching. I found this just as an example.
#
From my router:
1656431710451.png

Last edited:
I might be asking trivial questions but please humour me as I am no expert in this field, or any other for that matter, I am what you might consider the only person on the planet who is not an expert on anything, so I ask questions but I am very careful of the answers.
You're making hard work of everything, and making work for everyone else in the process. There will come a point when you have worn everyone's patience to the limit, let alone mine. If I decide to set you on "ignore", you will then have to wait for responses from anyone who can still be bothered.

I have my UPnP disabled, I definitely don't think is worth the risk.
Again, what risk? That article is too pessimistic, it only applies to accessing services outside your local network. Your router will stop anything trying to reach in uninvited, and you won't be advertising anything outside your own network. If you want to disable UPnP on your local network that's up to you, but you are denying yourself the conveniences of the DLNA system. Millions of households use it without worrying.

The firewall in your router blocks external uninvited access. What you need to worry about is whether you have any devices which phone home to a server somewhere - they can be hijacked (eg door cams).

Fundamentally, I think HDR-FOX CF use is too far outside your comfort zone. Nobody's making you use it.

That was just one article and you will note my (default) settings. As BH says, the router will stop anything uninvited.

Last edited:
Back