URC-1280 with 2 x HDR-FOX T2

wiab4355

Hi - does anyone know if this remote can be programmed to work with two Hummys that are in the same room?

Ta

And to save other peeps Googling, this is a One For All Contour 8 remote control that OP is talking about.
Unless it gives different codes for the 4 possible Humax codes series, then I suspect not. Does RTFM codes list not give any clues?
If it has a learning mode then you should be able to achieve what you want.

What, so you make us google the model instead of providing a link?

There seem to be multiple code sets for the HDR-FOX, so there is a possibility these correspond with different "channels" for the handset (which distinguish one HDR-FOX from another). Failing that, the 1280 has a learning function, so although it would be tedious it should be possible to program DIY.

No need to bang on about it twice BH :duel:
Ah I see.
I've done som more Googling for you and come up with THIS. I'll let you download it. And yes it does have a learning facility.:D

No need to bang on about it twice BH
I started that post before anybody else had replied! It isn't worth editing.

Haven't bought it yet, so no manual - just asking!
It's perfectly valid to ask, because somebody on here might have direct experience. It would have been nice if you had said you had done some preliminary research for yourself though, to save us the bother.

Hi - does anyone know if this remote can be programmed to work with two Hummys that are in the same room?
Are there an adequate number (39?) of buttons on the URC-1280 for you to satisfactorily operate an HDR-FOX T2?

Are there an adequate number (39?) of buttons on the URC-1280 for you to satisfactorily operate an HDR-FOX T2?
Many of the buttons are rarely needed in day2day usage or have alternate ways of achieving the same results,
Of the bottom 12 I only use opt+ regularly, especially since I remapped Portal to Bookmark

Many of the buttons are rarely needed in day2day usage or have alternate ways of achieving the same results,
Of the bottom 12 I only use opt+ regularly, especially since I remapped Portal to Bookmark
Yes I am aware that not everyone uses all of he buttons, but different people use a different subset of buttons. I personally use about 43 regularly, but what you, or I use, is irrelevant. - what is relevant is what wiab4355 uses, which is why I quoted wiab4255 and included "for you" (i.e. wiab4355) in my question.

I don't know about that specific model. I have One For All URC-7140 which operates up to 4 devices. I have managed to get it operate two Humaxes (2000T & 5000T). My memory is fading on how I did it. One Humax was fairly easy to program into the remote. I remember wasting a lot of time going through all the button codes by hand only to find most of the second Humax codes were unobtainable and had to be learnt.
There are not enough buttons (on the URC-7140) to map directly to all the Humax buttons. However, it is possible to map two functions to one button. eg. I have subtitles and audio description mapped to the [-/--] button. Actually, subtitles is mapped to [-/--] and AD is mapped to [magic] [-/--].

Apart from the obvious mappings, the URC-1280 has 2 spare buttons to cover 12 native buttons (Opt+, Prev/Replay, Next/Skip, Audio, Sub, Text, Slow, Sleep, V Fmt, Wide, Bmk, +Bmk), as well as 2 (Media, TV Portal) that can be reached in one step from Menu, TV/Radio that no-one needs, and List that is covered by OK. Although it might be possible to teach the less used functions on spare, devices, I think OP has better options unless the OFA remote is in a skip.

Universal remotes have been discussed here before. It's not easy to find one that works well for the Humaxen (even without considering the almost complete uselessness of Amazon's search function. The normal problems are that the Chinese ones overload the colour buttons while the US ones don't have colour buttons at all (some have A, B, C, D that could be painted) and generally the learning mode can't be relied on because of limited memory. Models that rely on proprietary external software for configuration inevitably die of bit-rot as the software's platform evolves and dies and/or the vendor's code library for the model becomes unsupported or inaccessible.

Last edited:
Unless the JP1.4 interface supports programming shift-keys (eg Setup+>> for >>|, similar to what EEPhil could do), the programmer will still run out of keys.

FWIW, I have a Harmony 300 embedded with the supported user (and a spare), with some customising of the buttons to provide access to the most relevant functions (not already supported automatically): Media, Opt+, Wide, TV/Radio (I've added labels to the uncommitted buttons 1-4). The 300 also has the necessary colour buttons. There are several other buttons which have no obvious use, and could be re-assigned. The transport control buttons are already there. On the rare occasion you might need Vformat, just get the original handset out.

It is only used for a TV, Humax, and DVD (four items supported), and we know from previous discussion it is possible to download more than one code set for the HDR-FOX.

The Windows app for programming the Harmony range still works (it has to phone home), but annoyingly each configuration is valid for only one device - I had to set up the spare separately and could not just program it with the same configuration.

Unless the JP1.4 interface supports programming shift-keys (eg Setup+>> for >>|, similar to what EEPhil could do), the programmer will still run out of keys.

It does!
I assume shift in this case means a second function for a button. In these remotes the shift is labelled as magic, setup or shift (depends on model).
I think you can use shift for almost all keys except the top device buttons.
I only use the basics of JP1 to set the remote, merely to assign the function to the keys (and shift keys) I want.
There are many other features that I haven't used at all.
Although it is great, the main bugbear is that its difficult to remember which function is assign to which button.
Eg after you have assigned a function like V-FORMAT to, say, shift-1 (accessed by pressing setup, 1) you need to remember where it is, otherwise you end up try to shift many buttons to find it.

Reactions: /df
Back