USB file transfer issue

John1212

New Member
I have recently had to replace the hard disk in my HDR-FOX T2 and started to transfer files by mounting the old disk in a USB docking port.

Initially I selected all the directories/files and selected to copy to the new drive.

However, after a long while I noticed that the USB light showed no data was being transferred. The humax was still playing normal TV and COPY was still being displayed in the top right of the screen.

I found that the remote control would not operate the humax and the front standby button was inoperative. Hard disk was still rotating. In the end I had to repower to get things going again.

Assuming this was a one-off I resumed the transfers. However, sometime later the same thing happened again.

I've now changed to copying only a few directories at a time and when complete, go to standby and then resume and this seems to be working OK.

I have had to do the same transfer thing in the past and cannot remember this happening. I am guessing that the file copy process is causing some sort of memory leak which eventually crashes the box.

Perhaps an effect of firmware update changes (since the last time I did this about a year ago). Otherwise the box is working OK.

Has anyone else noticed this?

John.

latest Firmware and CF
V1.03.12 and V2.23
 

DelftBlue

Member
Initially I selected all the directories/files and selected to copy to the new drive.

However, after a long while I noticed that the USB light showed no data was being transferred. The humax was still playing normal TV and COPY was still being displayed in the top right of the screen.
I found that the remote control would not operate the humax and the front standby button was inoperative. Hard disk was still rotating. In the end I had to repower to get things going again.
Has anyone else noticed this?

Yes.

I'm not sure this is connected to the firmware version, as this first happened to me in Feb 2012, when a much earlier firmware would have been in place.

I set a large number of files to copy overnight, and late next day realised that although all looked normal and the on-TV Media Screen said 'copying' - that actually the whole thing was locked up - and all scheduled recordings had failed. The failed recordings all had marker files but for 0 minutes. The only way out was via rear switch off.

Something similar has happened a couple of times since. I can't provide an exact technical explanation, but from observation, it seemed that some kind of discontinuity in the path during the process was to blame. For example, going into standby, or an early morning scheduled on-off. The transfer path failed, but the system didn't respond logically.
 
OP
J

John1212

New Member
Yes.

I'm not sure this is connected to the firmware version, as this first happened to me in Feb 2012, when an much earlier firmware would have been in place.

I set a large number of files to copy overnight, and late next day realised that although all looked normal and the on-TV Media Screen said 'copying' - that actually the whole thing was locked up - and all scheduled recordings had failed. The failed recordings all had marker files but for 0 minutes. The only way out was via rear switch off.

Something similar has happened a couple of times since. I can't provide an exact technical explanation, but from observation, it seemed that some kind of discontinuity in the path during the process was to blame. For example, going into standby, or an early morning scheduled on-off. The transfer path failed, but the system didn't respond logically.

That does sound very similar. I just may have not copied such a large batch in the past so perhaps didnt get the problem. Some instances were overnight but others were during the day when there was no standby issued or scheduled on-off but there were scheduled recordings happening.

I do now also remember that during one instance the transfer of a file was only partial and it had created a temporary file name which must get renamed on completion.

It is not a major issue and so far copying in small amounts has worked around the problem in my case.
 
Top