USB usage

Brian Harrison

Hi.
I have just got my Foxsat HDR, and managed to set it up with a twin LNB, getting to know how to fly it will take some time, My Q is it has a USB port, but I can't find any ref on what it's for or how to use it's facility.
Regards

It is used for

Updating the box software

Exporting recordings from the hard disk (handy if you are running out of space), replaying these recordings, playing back MP3 audio and jpeg photographs. Uploading your own video files to the built in hard disk (AV2HDR software required).

Exporting recordings from the hard disk (handy if you are running out of space)

But extremely slowly, and with an on-screen update. FTP is far preferable, or the web interface, eh, Graham?

I only ever use my USB for putting the latest custom firmware on the box.

Indeed :) but for a poster not even sure what the usb port is for, thought that may be a tad complicated. I did wonder whether to mention EXT3 but tried to make it simple.

Any idea what the USB port is for on the YouView boxes? :p

My copy of the Youview specification (V1.0 14 April 2011) includes:
  • USB keyboard input.
  • USB wireless Ethernet adapter where wifi is not provided internally.
  • The device shall also include a software recovery mechanism that allows the Core Device Software to be installed via the IP Network or USB storage device.
There should not be just 1 USB port. There should be minimum of 1 on the front and 1 on the back. :p
This would have helped Humax to make some use of the existing HDR-FOX mannufacturing process and force other manufactures not to cut their costs by only including 1 USB port.

• USB keyboard input.
  • USB wireless Ethernet adapter where wifi is not provided internally.
  • The device shall also include a software recovery mechanism that allows the Core Device Software to be installed via the IP Network or USB storage device.

• USB keyboard input. Oh dear, don't own one of those any more!
  • USB wireless Ethernet adapter where wifi is not provided internally. Just plugged in a Humax WiFi dongle. There is no menu entry to set it up, the interface just says that the wired connection is disconnected!
Bluetooth would have been more useful, say the ability to use a BT mouse or keyboard. Ah well!

Back