Use Hummy remote for Yamaha soundbar

hugoread

Hello,

Sorry if this has been asked, but I've searched and couldn't find the answer...

I've just got a Yamaha YAS 101 Soundbar for my telly/hummy HDR, which I should have done yonks ago, as the sound is transformed (I can't believe I lived with the TV speakers for so long). Anyway, rather than use the Yamaha remote, it would be much better if I could control the volume on the sound bar with the HDR remote. Anyone know if this is possible and how to do it?

A couple of points to note on this:

1. I always leave the Humax volume on max and would want to continue doing so.

2. I don't have (nor do I want) some fancy multi remote thing, I'm just keen to use the Humax remote for this if possible.

3. I have the custom firmware, so perhaps it could be done with a mod of some kind?

4. Obviously to do this there would need to be some kind of function (a mod maybe?) that would disable the Humax volume control, leaving it set on max, so the remote volume buttons (including mute) would then not change the Humax volume, but rather the soundbar volume instead.

Thanks,
Hugo.

When the Humax Remote is in PVR mode it will only control the Humax Volume, this can't be changed to control something else, the Custom Firmware won't help here. However the Humax remote can controls 3 other devices e.g. TV, DVD and AUDIO, these 3 buttons can control any device that you have the 'codes' for, the codes are supplied in the user manual, the only problem is that your soundbar may not be included on the code list

I see Yamaha have a couple of codes under the 'Audio Accessories' section, it might be one of those

Thanks folks. I've managed to get it working on the AUDIO button of the Hummy. Interestingly I did it by using a function on the soundbar where I actually program the device itself to work with the remote, rather than the other way round. So that's quite nice.

I was just kind of hoping I could steal the main PVR volume and mute buttons as I never use them (I think it's best to always leave the hummy volume on max and use a 'real' volume instead, either on the TV or an amp), but never mind.

Cheers.

I was just kind of hoping I could steal the main PVR volume and mute buttons as I never use them (I think it's best to always leave the hummy volume on max and use a 'real' volume instead, either on the TV or an amp), but never mind.

You can. If you teach the soundbar to respond to the Humax PVR mode volume and mute commands then you can use the ir package on the Humax to make the PVR itself ignore them. It's a standard on/off toggle in the web interface IR settings screen followed by a reboot.

Brilliant, that's just the kind of thing I was hoping for.

Annoyingly I can only teach the soundbar volume up, volume down and power, but not mute, so I think I'll try to use the hummy mute for the power of the soundbar, which sounds a bit peverse, but I might as well as I won't be using it for anything else and it means I can then power up the soundbar and control the volume all from the PVR remote.

So I'll give it a go and post back....

Great, done!

So just to repeat myself, I've now got the hummy remote on the normal PVR mode controlling the soundbar volume and the mute button on the hummy remote turns the soundbar on and off, which is kind of what a mute is anyway!

Thanks for the help af123 and thanks to you and those who did the ir package. I've not looked at it before and I might now investigate the package to see what other nifty stuff it can do for me.

Just one thing to confirm; when the volume controls are disabled using this package, I presume they are disable with the humax volume set to maximum?

Cheers.

There are some notes on the 'ir' package HERE
When the Volume controls are disabled by the 'ir' package, it simply stops any further changed being sent by the remote, so the state of the Volume will remain as it was before the 'ir' disable is activated

Take a look at the poweron-channel package too - in addition to setting the channel that will be selected on power-up, it can set the volume level too, so you could use that to ensure that the volume is always set to 20. In addition, I think that the volume buttons on the web interface remote control do continue to work so you can use those if necessary (can't check at the moment).

I think that the volume buttons on the web interface remote control do continue to work so you can use those if necessary (can't check at the moment).
indeed, as do the physical buttons on the HDR-FOX itself!

Back