Use PVR 8000T from UK in Australia?

Down-under

Hi
I moved to Australia, and brought my PVR 8000T, as I thought it would work. It looks like plenty of people have used them here, judging by Google results, but mine can't find any channels at all. Is there some substantial difference between the systems in the two countries (implying that there must have been a different version of the 8000T available locally) or is it just a case of getting some setting right?

Thanks!

There's a fundamental difference. In Europe DVB-T has 8MHz channels and in Oz it's 7MHz. Depending where you are DVB-T might also be on VHF not UHF. Had it been a a Topfield pvr it's reported that simply uploading a copy of the local firmware works. I doubt there's much chance of the same trick with the 8000T but it might be worth asking on a local forum

HI
did you get this sorted? I am moving to Sydney in September and want to take my 9200T.
I read somewhere that it worked but you had to change from PAL I to PAL G

No, I gave up (I'm in Melbourne). Let me know if you want me to connect it up and try changing specific settings (don't recall seeing any setting for PAL I or G).

No, I gave up (I'm in Melbourne). Let me know if you want me to connect it up and try changing specific settings (don't recall seeing any setting for PAL I or G).

Changing from PAL I to PAL G won't affect the boxes capability to watch the video it just gives you the audio back. The only difference is the sound carrier is on a different frequency.

If there is an option to change the country, try changing it to Germany and scanning the channels again. I was able to do that on the TV I brought over and also on the HDR-FoxT2. The only thing is the EPG doesn't work very well and I get issues with scheduled recordings on it, but if you're after watching digital tv, then this should work.

On the PVR-8000T, does anyone know if you can get the OS software for this machine?
My daughter's old 8000 is beginning to show signs of HDD problems, and if i can get the software i'd like to try installing another HDD, cetainly biger than the 80Gb that's in there!

if i can get the software i'd like to try installing another HDD
The software is not stored on the HDD. No update of the software is required after swapping the disk with a replacement.

The difficulty you may have is finding an HDD that is compatible, with the PVR-8000T performance expectations. Unfortunately the main forum where this was discussed has been lost.

On the PVR-8000T, does anyone know if you can get the OS software for this machine?
My daughter's old 8000 is beginning to show signs of HDD problems, and if i can get the software i'd like to try installing another HDD, cetainly biger than the 80Gb that's in there!

The 8000T uses IDE drives, it's very unlikely you will be able to find a suitable replacement hard disk. It's possible to use a ide to sata converter and install a modern AV specced sata drive.

The instructions here for the 9200T should at a guess work for a 8000T model.

http://www.betelgeuse-observatory.com/humax-9200t-freeview-box-sata-hdd-upgrade/

Many thanks for this information. I have a few old IDE drives knocking around so it won't be much trouble to try one.
Failing that, i have a SATA drive that i took out of a Sky HD box in front of me, which i can try.
Will let you know how i get on...

Back