Useful iPad Applications?

Brian

Administrator
Staff member
I have just purchased a New iPad, and wondered which applications other users have found useful with their Humax HD/HDR-FOX T2 boxes.

Welcome to the party!

Personally I just use Safari for the forum and the WebIF, but there is also Tapatalk for forum browsing.

I also have iTelnet, but it's not the greatest.

Thanks for those, I will check them out tomorrow. Does Tapatalk offer me much that I can't get from using Safari for forum browsing?

I normally use Firefox on my laptop, and use a number of add-ons such as Fast Dial, and Secure Login. Do similar things exist for Safari?

I shouldn't think so. Safari is just the standard browser on the iDevices - and you know how unconfigurable Apple software is! Having said that, it just works.

I used to use Tapatalk on another forum and found it quite useful for a small screen. Not so necessary on the iPad screen, except that I have to enter the BB codes manually (no nice post editing tools) so the forum help tab is useful. I can't remember what Tapatalk offers in that respect, I stopped using it several versions ago when the forum in question acquired a mobile skin which did the job just as well.

I normally use Firefox on my laptop, and use a number of add-ons such as Fast Dial, and Secure Login. Do similar things exist for Safari?
I also use my iPad to access my HD box. I use 'Add to home screen' for items I want to get to quickly.

Buzz player/viewer plays SD content via virtual disk and MediaTomb.

iSSH is the best telnet client (also SSH, VNC, MS Remote Desktop (RDP) and X11) - a bit over the top for occasional access to the Humax though.
Safari can't be extended but there are other browsers in the store that are more fully featured - they all use the underlying webkit SDK so the browser bit doesn't change.

Thanks for all the suggestions, I think that I'm going to have to sort out another browser first.

I normally run Firefox with Adblock Plus, and had forgotten just how annoying web adverts were, so now need a browser that has/supports an Adblock type facility.

iSSH isn't cheap or a quick look (£7 - I know it's not exactly expensive, but it's all relative!).

Anybody know why "ls -l" in iTelnet (and eTelnet Lite) throws up escape codes in the listing?

Code:
humax# ls -l
drwxr-xr-x    2 root     root           474 Jun  3 17:10 bin
drwxr-xr-x    5 root     root          2140 Jun 10  2011 dev
drwxr-xr-x    9 root     root           378 Jun  3 17:10 etc
drwxr-xr-x    3 root     root            23 Jun 10  2011 home
drwxr-xr-x    4 root     root           668 Jun 10  2011 lib
drwxr-xr-x    4 root     root           140 Aug  7 18:09 media
drwxr-xr-x    7 root     root            84 May 13  2011 mnt
lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root            11 Jun  3 17:10 mod -> mnt/hd2/mod
drwxr-xr-x    3 root     root            22 Jun 10  2011 opt
dr-xr-xr-x   68 root     root             0 Jan  1  2000 proc
drwxr-xr-x    2 root     root            29 Jun  3 17:10 root
drwxr-xr-x    2 root     root           396 Jun  3 17:10 sbin
drwxr-xr-x    3 root     root            23 Jun 10  2011 share
drwxr-xr-x   10 root     root             0 Jan  1  2000 sys
drwxrwxrwt    2 root     root           680 Aug  8 10:27 tmp
drwxr-xr-x    9 root     root            87 Aug 31  2011 usr
drwxr-xr-x    4 root     root            88 Jun  3 17:10 var
humax# 
humax#

I guess the double prompt at the end also means it is sending a Windows line end.

Back